Guns Modification

Okay, so this game has a very good vehicle customization and terrain customization.
In other words, we can make vehicles from scratch, we can make houses from scratch, but we can’t make guns from scratch…
What I’m thinking of is…
We could have an Item called Gun Parts, which when activated becomes the base of a gun. We must then add barrels and sights and whatever else guns require (I’m not really familiar with guns).
We don’t need to make it perfectly realistic, all we need is a good system that makes sense. I feel that being able to create our own guns like this would add so much more to the customization this game has to offer.
Just wanted to know what other thought?
Like the way it could work, is one you have activated gun parts to start the construction (Similar to vehicle construction but done in the inventory or maybe a whole new crafting screen?) you could then attach parts to make it functional, disassemble parts from it to add more parts to it, etc.

When we pick up guns, we could enter this new crafting screen to take parts of the gun, and add more parts to it? Rather like the vehicles? So we can more openly modify guns like this too?

I like the idea. I can finally make my mini-gun-flamethrower-crossbow-shotgun-Laser thing. Id add a bayonet, but thatll be overkill

A hopeful idea, but not one I exactly one I want to see in the game. The guns we currently have already suffice.

you can already craft pipe guns with enough mechanic and firearm skill.

I assume he means that he wants a neat ascii window where he builds the gun with parts, like how you build a car.

Pretty much. I think it would tie in well with the vehicle and housing customization. The more customization the better :slight_smile:
And yeah, what bladerock said…

it would be nice to be able to make plasma shotgun launcher that shoots katanas in all directions.

Shooting large blades is pretty hard. You’ll have to make do with firing a single one.

Pretty much a harpoon then? But a really good one.

SHOOT ALL THE GUNS!

http://www.fishmojo.com/photos/swissgun.jpg

guns are not cars. cars are basically mobile bases at this point, and can even INCLUDE guns. a gun is not a thing you move around in the game. you equip it and press F.

the current gun mod system is fine. it could use a few new mods but the idea of building custom guns from parts is really bizarre and weird.

[quote=“grisamentum, post:11, topic:1941”]guns are not cars. cars are basically mobile bases at this point, and can even INCLUDE guns. a gun is not a thing you move around in the game. you equip it and press F.

the current gun mod system is fine. it could use a few new mods but the idea of building custom guns from parts is really bizarre and weird.[/quote]

True–guns ain’t vehicles–but it seems like we get a custom-gun thread once a week or so. Obviously there’s demand for the idea, so I think calling it bizarre/weird does it a disservice. My only concern is that the system not require that non-enthusiasts build/part-swap their guns in order to accomplish anything useful. Rather, stock guns should remain workable alternatives for someone who just wants a backup option.

(Careful…there aren’t that many grab & go vehicles around anymore…)

It’s just, I don’t play this game because of the zombie genre (In fact, I’m not really a fan of the genre) but I play it because it has a very good survival aspect but more importantly the customization. I love that you can build cars from scratch. I dunno about many others but the customization is definitely my favorite part of the game.

I see no problem with making weaponry of all sorts more customizable.

We can already add modular toys to our guns, why not expand it by giving us the option to further screw with the extant offensive choices? Wouldn’t it feel awesome to spend a week crafting a gun or sword or something from base materials/components, or by hacking up several existing ones and sticking them together in a new configuration, then using your resultant killamajig to slay a horde of monsters? Far more satisfying than simply grabbing a katana off a dead drug dealer and going to town.

Also, where in New England do drug dealers carry swords? I’m not opposed to finding random fun sharp objects lying around like that, but it’s always struck me as a little odd that a sword is included in the random equipment spawns for dead dealers.

[quote=“Rivet, post:14, topic:1941”]I see no problem with making weaponry of all sorts more customizable.

We can already add modular toys to our guns, why not expand it by giving us the option to further screw with the extant offensive choices? Wouldn’t it feel awesome to spend a week crafting a gun or sword or something from base materials/components, or by hacking up several existing ones and sticking them together in a new configuration, then using your resultant killamajig to slay a horde of monsters? Far more satisfying than simply grabbing a katana off a dead drug dealer and going to town.

Also, where in New England do drug dealers carry swords? I’m not opposed to finding random fun sharp objects lying around like that, but it’s always struck me as a little odd that a sword is included in the random equipment spawns for dead dealers.[/quote]

Yeah, for someone who knows about guns, making a killamajig could be nifty and I don’t mind letting gun-fans do so. Just don’t want to have to make a killamajig in order to have an effective gun.

Guessing the katana is there primarily for Rule Of Cool. Why dealers are apparently the primary/only source for the best Cutting weapon in the game, however, I’m not so sure.

Guessing the katana is there primarily for Rule Of Cool. Why dealers are apparently the primary/only source for the best Cutting weapon in the game, however, I'm not so sure.
Ummm... roguelike-subgame-culture? :-P