Gun editor for home-made weaponry? :D

Making a post to preserve the idea, its so precious :wink:

Basically a retooled version of the vehicle editor that allows you to actually craft your own… ranged weapons :slight_smile: If it ended up being as capable as the vehicle creation it would be awesome… Perhaps TOO awesome.

Forget this!

bright flash

Sweet jesus yes.

Home made receiver replacements and such.

Oh yes.

YUS.

[quote=“wad67, post:2, topic:3030”]Sweet jesus yes.

Oh yes.
-snippety snap-[/quote]
Get on my level.

[quote=“PiotraperPL, post:4, topic:3030”][quote=“wad67, post:2, topic:3030”]Sweet jesus yes.

Oh yes.
-snippety snap-[/quote]
Get on my level.

[/quote]

What is that from?

I had an idea like this one. Then promptly got shot down. But I like the menu!

[quote=“StoneCacti, post:5, topic:3030”][quote=“PiotraperPL, post:4, topic:3030”][quote=“wad67, post:2, topic:3030”]Sweet jesus yes.

Oh yes.
-snippety snap-[/quote]
Get on my level.

-snappety snup-[/quote]

What is that from?[/quote]

I did it with REXPaint

Noice, I’d tap that.
DOUBLE-BARRELL AUTOMATIC SHOTGUN OF IMMINENT RAPE will be possible without any .json spoilage.
That makes my day brighter

[quote=“PiotraperPL, post:7, topic:3030”][quote=“StoneCacti, post:5, topic:3030”][quote=“PiotraperPL, post:4, topic:3030”][quote=“wad67, post:2, topic:3030”]Sweet jesus yes.

Oh yes.
-snippety snap-[/quote]
Get on my level.

-snappety snup-[/quote]

What is that from?[/quote]

I did it with REXPaint
http://rexpaint.blogspot.com/[/quote]

Thats dope man.

Sweet muddah of jesus
Someone make this now

EDIT:

Who said it had to be just for guns?

Perhaps having tabs displaying variable information would be better?

It would certainly make for some… Interesting methods of removing threats.

[quote=“trusty_patches, post:8, topic:3030”]Noice, I’d tap that.
DOUBLE-BARRELL AUTOMATIC SHOTGUN OF IMMINENT RAPE will be possible without any .json spoilage.
That makes my day brighter[/quote]

For some reason, I was reminded of “Da Turdy Point Buck” by Bananas at Large - A combination Ak57, Uzi Radar-Laser Triple barreled double scoped heat seeking shotgun.

We would have editor for object that is represented by single, one tile element in game world (when dropped) - and zero tile object when carried or wielded?

Whats the point in that? That would be just kind of simple minigame to attach parts together visually, when the same thing (gamewise) could be done by just modifying the value of gun directly by (a)pplying certain objects to them … like the game does now.

Remember, cars are multi tile objects outside of designscreen that affect game world by their design. Thats why they kind of need a design tool when modified.

Guns are not macro-objects. They are just bunch of values that are not needed to represent as complex object.

But they would be far better being represented as complex objects.
I don’t like rougelikes that are dumbed down into simple stats, complexity makes it interesting.

Not only does having them represented by multi tile objects would allow for a complete overhaul of the gun system (which is rather dated), but allows easier modification of weapons and even allow new weapons to be created.

[quote=“wad67, post:13, topic:3030”]But they would be far better being represented as complex objects.
I don’t like rougelikes that are dumbed down into simple stats, complexity makes it interesting.[/quote]

Well, how exactly you plan to present gun as “complex object” in this game? If you mean it should have attachments and configurations you dont need graphical design tool for that. Graphical design tool is just visual, it gives no benefit (but creates complexity issues) over normal “you found gunpart, now (a)pply it to your gun if you wish and can” type of action.

On the scope of game I see absolutely no need for guns to have “topography” - aka represent them as objects that have configurable “real” structure.

When this “real” structure would be referenced in game, mind you tell?

Just make component object like any object in the game.

If you gunfreaks want to visualize use this:

[quote=“wad67, post:13, topic:3030”]But they would be far better being represented as complex objects.
I don’t like rougelikes that are dumbed down into simple stats, complexity makes it interesting.[/quote]

From a designer view point, creating a visual editor for something that could very realistically be harder to code and likely do the job worse than a simple text menu. Coding the editor for vehicles, which was well worth it and necessary for the effective modification of vehicles, was understandable, as they are multi-tile entities. Guns are not. You do not see your gun fire on a visual level, and when you drop it its just a ASCII symbol. If you feel a visual editor would be a good addition, then by all means, design and code it and release it in The Lab section of our forums

So basically a text editor for homemade guns. I like it!

I don’t really understand why people are bagging the concept, Guns would still work exactly the same, it would simply be an extended menu, like advanced inventory mode and so forth.

It adds system that has zero benefits, costs developement effort and would make putting attachments to guns more complicated than it needs to be.

I see this happening as mod and having handful of users, but I dont see it going into main branch.

What could be done in main branch is revamping the guns and attachments somewhat (I agree this is interesting thing.) Parts fit together to alter the gun’s stats, but it happens on normal inventory screen and not in puzzle-like concept - probably with guns having sub-tree or list of its attachments seen as text.

Something like this:

9mm Glock (19 bullets. modified)
+| Extented mag (19 capacity)
 | Laser sight (99 battery)
 | Rubber grip

12 gauge sawed off shotgun (2 shells, modified)
+| hair trigger
 | long stock (damaged badly)

It adds system that has zero benefits, costs developement effort and would make putting attachments to guns more complicated than it needs to be.

I see this happening as mod and having handful of users, but I dont see it going into main branch.

What could be done in main branch is revamping the guns and attachments somewhat (I agree this is interesting thing.) Parts fit together to alter the gun’s stats, but it happens on normal inventory screen and not in puzzle-like concept - probably with guns having sub-tree or list of its attachments seen as text.

Something like this:

[code]

9mm Glock (19 bullets. modified)
+| Extented mag (19 capacity)
| Laser sight (99 battery)
| Rubber grip

12 gauge sawed off shotgun (2 shells, modified)
+| hair trigger
| long stock (damaged badly)

[/code][/quote]

What you just said is the same about vehicles, let’s remove them! What a silly idea to have cars that you can edit, it adds no benefits and it costs development effort and who modifies cars anyway? Cars should have been a mod, god knows how they got in the main branch. You should have the car in your backpack and use enormous engines and just make it bigger. This makes sense, so I do right?

Dear Mr. ECM,

Half of this thread explains why cars (actually vehicles in general) are fundamentally different from rest of the game world objects. Would you please consider first imbuing yourself with that information and after that realize how far off your sarcasm was?