Giant Ants

So is it a bug or new feature that ants don’t attack you when they sense you now? They just keep ignoring me and when I attack one they attempt to track me. (which should be easy considering I have the strong scent trait) Standing still even the ant soldiers with the hostile sign just run next to me and do nothing.

So is there some type of secret to get them to attack you implemented over the last one or two releases or is this just a bug?

Have you checked to see if you are actually an ant?

But really, they’re not attacking me either.

Yeah, ants appear to be little more than practice dummies now for whatever reason. I figured perhaps they’d toned down the aggression of the workers, I never let a soldier get near enough to actually attack, myself.

The soldiers just stand still running around you. (Kind of a shame really as I wanted to complete my first Anthill Dungeon and if I beat it like this it’ll be a bit… lame.)

Unlike the worker ants they do approach you. They just don’t attack.

The soldier ants attacked me and tried to kill me just fine. The workers don’t, but I think that’s realistic.

Is it normal for Ant Hills to not have a Queen chamber? Explored a whole ant hill without finding a queen to kill.

It’s not just with ants; i was standing in the doorway of a Lab and had a Hostile cougar do the same to me. I was able to kill it via crowbar without moving myself. This was in .9

Then, i had a hostile dog run around while i was swinging an axe at it for about a solid hour in game time (i kept missing, lol). Again, the dog did not even try to attack me and i eventually killed it.

This behavior is something that showed up in .9 and has apparently remained through the 0.A release.

Man. I /wish/ that would happen to me.

With the ants in particular I’m guessing it’s the changes to scent handling we added to address the “flesh-seeking missile” effect that monsters used to have in the dark. They have nothing but scent and hearing, so they can’t see you to attack.

They can definetively smell me, as I have stood among them for a while now. They just completely ignore me, the soldier ants wont even attack in self defense. The just happily in the field there as i kill them with a two by four.

EDIT: Actually I am wrong, the can sense you and attack you, but they do it very unreliably, you first need to remain moving while adjacent to them and they will notice you, but you really have to try.

Yeah, sounds like the bee problem. I should take a look at just giving everyone short-ranged vision for that. (As in, VIS_5 or something.)

Well I managed to kill all the ants in an ant queen lair (two ant queens in the same room with lots of soldiers/workers) with unarmed/melee level 11, and dodge 2.

I probably got attacked around 4-6 times overall taking away one bar from my torso hp. (I have 20% less hp or around that)

Anyways something definitely needs to be changed as I shouldn’t be able to obliterate an ant hill unarmed at that low of a skill level. Plus 4-6 attacks really isn’t much. They barely tried to protect her.

[quote=“gammaflux, post:12, topic:5425”]Well I managed to kill all the ants in an ant queen lair (two ant queens in the same room with lots of soldiers/workers) with unarmed/melee level 11, and dodge 2.

I probably got attacked around 4-6 times overall taking away one bar from my torso hp. (I have 20% less hp or around that)

Anyways something definitely needs to be changed as I shouldn’t be able to obliterate an ant hill unarmed at that low of a skill level. Plus 4-6 attacks really isn’t much. They barely tried to protect her.[/quote]
Unarmed/melee 11 isn’t “Low skill” juuuuuuuuuust so you know.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:13, topic:5425”][quote=“gammaflux, post:12, topic:5425”]Well I managed to kill all the ants in an ant queen lair (two ant queens in the same room with lots of soldiers/workers) with unarmed/melee level 11, and dodge 2.

Anyways something definitely needs to be changed as I shouldn’t be able to obliterate an ant hill unarmed at that low of a skill level. Plus 4-6 attacks really isn’t much. They barely tried to protect her.[/quote]
Unarmed/melee 11 isn’t “Low skill” juuuuuuuuuust so you know.[/quote]I think he meant low dodge skill. And 11 was probably his melee/unarmed after he was done with the anthill.

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:14, topic:5425”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:13, topic:5425”][quote=“gammaflux, post:12, topic:5425”]Well I managed to kill all the ants in an ant queen lair (two ant queens in the same room with lots of soldiers/workers) with unarmed/melee level 11, and dodge 2.

Unarmed/melee 11 isn’t “Low skill” juuuuuuuuuust so you know.[/quote]I think he meant low dodge skill. And 11 was probably his melee/unarmed after he was done with the anthill.[/quote]

No it was actually at level 11 - 10 when I started the anthill. It’s just that ants are incredibly durable so I couldn’t one-shot them or anything. not to mention dodge 2 is horrible (with that many enemies especially) Yet I still managed to kill every single and in that room with only 1 bar missing from my torso a ant soldier managed to get in. (Also I did not have any encumbrance but that’s not the point) The point is with my damage/Dodge rate with two ant queens in that one room, my character should’ve died.

[quote=“gammaflux, post:15, topic:5425”][quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:14, topic:5425”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:13, topic:5425”][quote=“gammaflux, post:12, topic:5425”]Well I managed to kill all the ants in an ant queen lair (two ant queens in the same room with lots of soldiers/workers) with unarmed/melee level 11, and dodge 2.

Unarmed/melee 11 isn’t “Low skill” juuuuuuuuuust so you know.[/quote]I think he meant low dodge skill. And 11 was probably his melee/unarmed after he was done with the anthill.[/quote]

No it was actually at level 11 - 10 when I started the anthill. It’s just that ants are incredibly durable so I couldn’t one-shot them or anything. not to mention dodge 2 is horrible (with that many enemies especially) Yet I still managed to kill every single and in that room with only 1 bar missing from my torso a ant soldier managed to get in. (Also I did not have any encumbrance but that’s not the point) The point is with my damage/Dodge rate with two ant queens in that one room, my character should’ve died.[/quote]

What about armor? Or lighting? Because both of those make a huge difference. Also, can anyone confirm or deny if unarmed/melee affects your “block” chance?

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:16, topic:5425”][quote=“gammaflux, post:15, topic:5425”][quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:14, topic:5425”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:13, topic:5425”][quote=“gammaflux, post:12, topic:5425”]Well I managed to kill all the ants in an ant queen lair (two ant queens in the same room with lots of soldiers/workers) with unarmed/melee level 11, and dodge 2.

No it was actually at level 11 - 10 when I started the anthill. It’s just that ants are incredibly durable so I couldn’t one-shot them or anything. not to mention dodge 2 is horrible (with that many enemies especially) Yet I still managed to kill every single and in that room with only 1 bar missing from my torso a ant soldier managed to get in. (Also I did not have any encumbrance but that’s not the point) The point is with my damage/Dodge rate with two ant queens in that one room, my character should’ve died.[/quote]

What about armor? Or lighting? Because both of those make a huge difference. Also, can anyone confirm or deny if unarmed/melee affects your “block” chance?[/quote]

I was wearing the following (All reinforced except for the neoprene arm sleeves)

Boxer shorts, eyeglasses, hard hat, army jacket, army pants, messenger bag, glove liners, socks, combat boots, and a chest rig.

Also I had a flashlight on if that counts for lighting. Plus I have the smelly trait. (Sound wise I have light step though, so only 2 sound per movement)

Nothing particularly durable (except the boots)

[quote=“gammaflux, post:17, topic:5425”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:16, topic:5425”][quote=“gammaflux, post:15, topic:5425”][quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:14, topic:5425”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:13, topic:5425”][quote=“gammaflux, post:12, topic:5425”]Well I managed to kill all the ants in an ant queen lair (two ant queens in the same room with lots of soldiers/workers) with unarmed/melee level 11, and dodge 2.

What about armor? Or lighting? Because both of those make a huge difference. Also, can anyone confirm or deny if unarmed/melee affects your “block” chance?[/quote]

I was wearing the following (All reinforced except for the neoprene arm sleeves)

Boxer shorts, eyeglasses, hard hat, army jacket, army pants, messenger bag, glove liners, socks, combat boots, and a chest rig.

Also I had a flashlight on if that counts for lighting. Plus I have the smelly trait. (Sound wise I have light step though, so only 2 sound per movement)[/quote]
You had passable head protection, light chest protection, and decent foot protection. I think ants don’t use smell to track (…or maybe it was smell? It’s one or the other) I do think that the queen should be able to ‘alert’ the soldiers if she’s attacked though, but a buff isn’t needed.

I’ll have you know it took me about 5 minutes to kill all the ants in that one room (irl time) and this was while holding down a button. (I literally jumped head-on and managed to kill them all just holding down a direction. (and obviously changing course when need be)