Game crashes when loading save from a previous version

Version: .9.RC1 g670c9e1
SDL
Windows XP

I just downloaded the most recent version. Tried to load my save and this is what I got:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B98YIrrZCZqac0pQbHV0QzZtdHc/edit?usp=sharing

After that the game just crashes.

Can you please provide a copy of the save file?

It’s an issue with the stricter JSON checking in the latest experimental build.

Affects saves from all versions, not just old.

Solution for now is to use a build BEFORE the latest json changes.

Sorry I took so long. I just woke up. Save file is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B98YIrrZCZqaSkVmckhnaFRLNGc/edit?usp=sharing

Is this still an issue?

Yup, it is. I just crashed trying to convert my save from .8 stable to .9 stable. I tried to attach my original save file, but the website returned an error reporting “the attachment folder is full”. If it helps, it crashed when the map load was at 9200/9279

im def having the same problems too… i was so excited about the idea of keeping my save game but it crashes every time after loading in and converting the world data. i get a “convert world” save folder but never get into the actual game.

Is this with the stable release or experimental? I intentionally didn’t merge the stricter json thing because it was too close to the release, so if 0.9 stable isn’t loading saves from 0.8 that’s something new, and a really big deal.

as it’s going through its “Please wait as the map loads [31400/31412]” i get a C++ runtime error that says “this application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information” followed by “cataclysm-tiles.exe has stopped working.”

i’m using the zip file for the stable windows version posted on the front page. this one: http://assets.cataclysmdda.com/downloads/windows_binaries/cddasdl-current.zip

ooh, little bit of an update:

i tried creating a new character and she loaded into my previous save’s world. so there’s that.

Same problem for me too. Runtime error when trying to load save from prevoius game.

Maybe I have done something wrong (I have just copy/paste “save” folder from 0.8 to 0.9).

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2KpFWC2n0CaZ3FUTkZOZi01Vm8/edit?usp=sharing

I’m using the latest stable release (with construction hotfix). Creating a new character in the previous world woks fine.

P.S. Sorry for possible mistakes.
P.P.S. I’m not qiute used to googledisk stuff, so sorry for possible inconviniences.

I just attempted to convert my .8 stable game to .9 stable (with the hotfix for the construction bug). Still crashing. Is there any file in particular that would be useful for debugging purposes?

Just to be sure I’m not doing it wrong, I’m physically copying the save folder from by .8 cataclysm folder to my .9 cataclysm folder, starting .9, hitting load, choosing covert world, and choosing my character.

I’m reproducing the error with Sanarr’s save files, I know what’s happening, and I’m trying to figure out a solution now.
Basically the data that is associated with a game changes over time, and we have to keep updating the code that writes it and reads it back. Specifically we added body locations to diseases a while back, and this save is from before that, so it doesn’t have those extra fields. The code that loads the save isn’t accounting for that properly, so it’s getting totally confused.

I have a partial solution that requires you to manually set the version in the player .sav file, since it seems to have been set incorrectly.

When you say “a while back”, do you mean some version of 8.0? The issue doesn’t seem to be happening for everyone, is this an issue with older versions of 8 not being compatible, while higher versions are?

If that’s the case, you could set up a process that would upgrade the user from 8.0 to 8.1 to 8.2 to 8.3… to 9

[quote=“Paquito, post:15, topic:3904”]When you say “a while back”, do you mean some version of 8.0? The issue doesn’t seem to be happening for everyone, is this an issue with older versions of 8 not being compatible, while higher versions are?

If that’s the case, you could set up a process that would upgrade the user from 8.0 to 8.1 to 8.2 to 8.3… to 9[/quote]

There is no 8.2, 8.3 etc., there are only the experimentals. I’ve been transferring a character from 0.8 to experimentals to 0.9 successfully, but recently started a new game because I got bored with him.

How can I do that? I’ve opened the .sav file with notepad and saw version 5, in the beginning. Changing it to 11 (like in .sav file for other character genereted in the same world) didnt help.

im with the same problem ,anyone solved it?

I’m assuming this isn’t going to be hotfixed into the stable version, so is there an experimental build we should try?

[quote=“Paquito, post:19, topic:3904”]https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/4384

I’m assuming this isn’t going to be hotfixed into the stable version, so is there an experimental build we should try?[/quote]

It’s merged, so it’s already in the experimentals.