Fungal missionary NPCs

No, you don’t need to sample and analyze mold to make a filtration system. You just need to filter it out.

If you program it to turn on and off for battery conservation. =P
Another example:
Radiation sensors to tell the occupant there is a threat. Same idea.

Man…you better not win the lottery mate.

“Here! Take millions!” “NO! YOU CAN’T MAKE ME! SO THERE!”

lol

Its not me you have to convince, I have no problems with the idea.

Hehehe. I should hope not. It was your idea I’m trying to help lol

I just don’t know how it would work at the moment. If you get any more ideas that have story. Lemme know. I like being the 3M person ;D

Try not sprinkling sexist terms in your comments.

1 Like

There was a sexist term in there?

1 Like

Suppose you have a situation where someone is known to have a fungal infection, but the community isn’t willing to kill them. They don’t see it as all that harmful, and are willing to try and accommodate the fungal npc. (P.S. if the person wasn’t actively a threat, my PCs would generally be unwilling to kill a fungal NPC too, so this is hardly a unreasonable position)

Well, one way of handling the situation would be to treat the fungal infection as a more mundane disease, and just start providing the settlement with anti-fungal meds (or better yet give them a book teaching them to make their own). Not to harm the infected dude, who’s clearly past the point where meds will cure things, but for everyone else. After all, if the NPC is purely passive, the infection acts more like a slow acting flu in the earlier stages, and providing meds is similar to giving people a flu shot to prevent infection. So you can stop further infection in its tracks by just having everyone else take their meds every once in a while.

If the NPC still has free-will and is actually trying to help, then their problem is solved, and they are no longer a risk to the community. And if they don’t have free will - or are sufficiently deluded to spread the fungus to the unwilling anyways - they they’ll eventually try something and get caught, giving sufficient reason to take more drastic actions, like quarantine, exile, or execution. Quarantine might be interesting, as it could spawn a quest where they start converting the section of the base they are quarantined in into fungus, and the player has to fight a bunch of fungal monsters and finally kill the NPC.

You could actually have two questlines here. One where the NPC has free will and actually wants to help, and another where the NPC either does not, or is simply delusional. And they would look identical up to a point where the active one is forced to act openly. With one ending up with the NPCs death - and a somewhat fungalized section of camp - while the other ends up sending the player chasing after rumors of purifier to finally cure the infection.

1 Like

What sexist comment? At max I said that they would be “after your butt”, but nothing more… Now I’m confused, cause I remember that I did at no point use any sexist term in my comment.
I just talked how the mycus would use the player and any NPC/creature as agents to spread and do their own thing cause the Mycus can’t be bothered to Micro all that stuff, it is a “Macro player” afterall.
And once you outlived your usefullness it gets rid of you/reclaims your biomass.

1 Like

The other part was that I talked how the Mycus is more or less (don’t quote me on that, I just read that somewhere) just a slave of the Triffids and tasked with “preparing” the area for a bigger Triffid invasion.

Oh and I talked how in reality the Mycus could just sit out and wait till all too dangerous factors (NPCs/the player) are gone before popping back up, because of the fact that burning a Mycus area won’t do really any good to you simply due to the fact that Mycus can easily reach down many meters into the ground, so you would just remove the “Fruiting body” but not the real Mycus

If fungal “missionary” NPC’s were ever added, it would be interesting to have varying degrees of difficulty on what was required to convince his/her “flock” that he/she was simply furthering the survival and spread of the mycus instead of having humanitys best interests at heart.

We would have zealots who would likely never change their minds, and some who may quite readily, side with the player.

Why don’t just use speaking or specific trait like Skilled Liar or Pretty?
Like y’all are making it a bit hard actually.

I was under the impression it was being made more intricate to reflect real world difficulties in changing a persons belief system to help with game immersion.

It’s possible to use Random Number Generator to either make them become hostile to the “missionary”, them not hostile to both of you & missionary, or them siding with the missionary instead and become hostile to you.

The first option can be increased by Speaking or generally, Pretty trait. Second one are generally small chance, and third one are big chance.
To make it immersive, makes it so that it’s a rare event.

Summary so far if implemented:

Detection-

1. Evidence directly tied to the creature; fetch quest or some form of detective work Sherlock style?
  2. A kit or device able to detect mold/spores.(most easy way)
  3. “The Thing” blow torch blood method, anyone?(my idea lol)

Declaration-

1. Convince people via skill individually.
  2. Convince primary leader; which then defaults the group to killing of the creature and infected or ignores player killing creature/infected.

I’m inclined to have realism. But this details a much more simple approach in programming. I don’t program. That said, I don’t know if anyone would be able to do more elaborate methods. But it seems we have a reasonable structure if this were to be added. =D

1 i dont know how to quote previos posts yet, sorry for that.

2 i like this idea so i am not trying to shoot it down.

With that said, Kevin had said for the sake of realism early in the post that simply killing the so-called missionary wouldnt be an easy task without having the entire cult either killing you outright or imprisoning you at best. He also mentioned that the people may not believe that the mycus is bad for them in the first place so they may not wish to be saved. (Along these lines anyway, its how i just read it as meaning.)

So in my mind the question would be how to reach that point to where you could kill the missionary? Maybe i am just reading things wrong guys, if so sorry. But i am understanding that to reach the point to convince them would be as short as a roll of the die using speech skill? Or a slightly longer time such as a quest? Should it take a longer time to reach that point? Such as many interactions between the various members or the length of say a game season or two?

Just trying to get it all straight in my head.

Depends on which method of detection is employed I suppose. Plus how many people are infected. I think everyone infected should be mind controlled by the missionary and there fore be an enemy once they are discovered.

Kinda like The Thing. I joked about it. But it kinda makes sense. As soon as the creature was found out. Everyone sh!t their pants when it went nuts and tried killing everyone in the group. I imagine the mycus to sprout tendrils and start attacking people when discovered.

Which would simplify the entire idea. Go check out both films. That method would make a really interesting game element and makes programming it all a lot easier.

Example:

Talk to people in a hapitat–>Look for evidence around the living space of the mycus(use a mold detector for instance). Perhaps some “Mycus Sloughing” in a bathroom stall or a closet. Talk to people and scan them(if you have those devices) Talk to a Leader and discuss the topic. If he attacks you. He will make all the others infected aggro too. If he isn’t a critter, he will provide the option of “Give me proof” (a device reading or evidence of some kind like a picture of the critter feeding after you followed them or whatever).

Short version:

Find a critter and prove it is a critter. They become aggressive. All those in the group view the creature as an enemy. Simplified.

The debate over realism assumes this game will go that deep with NPC development. Since we aren’t anywhere near that at the moment. I suggest simple now. Deep later. Getting the frame work down first seems more important than deep realism when we have nothing close to it at present.

Trust me. I would like the deep stuff. I just think the basics for now is a good start.

1 Like