Frog Mother - am I doing it wrong

I am a new player in C:DDA, about two weeks now and several characters. Started playing on stable 0.E but switched to latest Experimental last week. Been enjoying the game so far and figuring out how things work, and how to avoid dying too quickly.
This is the third time I have been jumped on by a frog mother, and dying after being dragged around and banged around until exhaustion and pain takes me down. My latest character was kitted with a SWAT armor, which did a great job against normal zombies.
I still can’t figure out how to kill this frog mother - or is it just a very strong monster than I should avoid if possible? Stabbing it with my steel spear doesn’t seem to damage it quickly enough, it heals rapidly. I can kill the tadpoles it spawns but it just keeps spawning more of them.
So is there something I am missing and should be doing different? or is this monster just much stronger than I can possibly take down at early stage with melee weapon?
I encountered a Mi-go before but at least I managed to run away from it. Frog mother captures you and makes it very difficult to get away.

Haven’t faced it myself, but there may be an adjustment to its regen in the near future. For now, it’s best to avoid it without firearms with full auto capability - that’s apparently the best way to kill it is to unload at close range.

the thing is, and something you probably didnt notice as you got bashed around… the frog mother isnt really what you’re dealing with… of course its hard to kill and beats you up, but it also summons lots of tadpoles, which similarly bash on you at the same time… so you’re really fighting a GROUP of monsters even though you originally only saw the one, the tadpoles are what grab you and slow you down.

you’ve got two options when you see one… either have an on hand burst fire weapon (which is unlikely early game, but if you see a vehicle with a turret, keep in mind you can disassemble that turret for the gun, and they’re usually pretty beefy!) or a car, smash into it at about 20 MPH (and hope your car has a seatbelt) and it usually explodes into gore… i often have a similar problem with the slug monsters that pop up out of swamps.

I learned the hard way very early on to avoid swamps like the plague. Nothing good ever comes from being there in my experience and just stay away from the frog. Vacate the area, run for your life.

2 Likes

i once saw a frog mother fighting giant wasps… plural.

the frog mother -won-

1 Like

This is the correct answer.

Maybe too strong. I remember encountering it and unloading on it at close range with a assault rifle on full-auto. The thing was able to simply heal quicker that I could aim and reload. I remember it being able to simply heal from 6 bullets (the ones that hit) in the time it took me to aim and reload dispite bleeding at the maximum intensity form every body part.

So, I killed one Frog Mother today. Well, more like “got it killed”, to be fair.
By luring it into 6(!) Mi-Go’s and allowing all 6 to hit it at once. (That’s about 8 Mi-Go’s hits between regen ticks)
From what I saw, that was BARELY enough damage to beat it’s regeneration. And the thing was bleeding fountains of blood from every single limb, too.

Also, heavy survivor gear was not enough to negate all damage from it.

I too know your pain.

Can’t you just run it over with a car?

Mildly irrelevant.
If you have access to the car, you might as well just drive away. It’s not like the frog mother has some valuable loot.

yes you can run it over with a car… as with most things.

however: considering the frog mother spawns in swamp, you may very well have your entire car disappear into a small pond of water.

I would not call it a car if it’s 1x1 or 1x2, as the deep water pools in swamps are.

I managed to take one down at medium range using a very kitted-out assault rifle and TRACER ammunition. The fire on top of the bleeding damage seemed to be enough to knock it down with 19 shots.

As to why bothering killing the thing instead of just leaving the area - it spawned in the basement of a house (rather than a swamp), followed me upstairs, and was lurking around an area I had a vested interest in clearing of hostiles. Hitting it with a car may have been the cheaper option, but I wanted to see just what it’d take to take one down on foot.

you could have also lured it away.

I’m not sure of the exact requirements, but you don’t need ALL your wheels in deep water to sink without a trace, and apparently shallow water isn’t as good a support as ground is.

The mother frog is a transcendental abomination that effortlessly wipes the floor with any unfortunate eldritch horror that dares to cross it’s path. With it’s godlike regeneration, shattered bones and gouged eyes grow back faster than can be hacked apart. While this level of regenerative power wouldn’t be out of place for a slime or other enemy with a simpler biological structure, the mother frog’s supernatural powers casts doubt on whether it’s even carbon-based, or obeys thermodynamics.

Which is only confirmed when the mother frog’s spell summons tadpoles in the middle of a moving, closed humvee.

Killer_rabbit.JPG

This is a Rabbit of Caerbannog situation, where an enemy is unexpectedly vastly more powerful than expected. It should either be nerfed, or changed from a mutant into a nether inhabitant.

3 Likes

I support it being turned into some form of nether inhabitant. That way when I find it in a basement it will clear the town for me.

I managed to kill one with a 5.56 rifle with a 4 round burst using normal ammo. once it decides to flee after being damaged I found it nessary to aggressively run after it and maintain point blank range with burst fire to out damage its regen.

the things really are pretty overpowered and i’ve noticed its best to usually just burn the whole house down than to try and engage them