For you survivalists out there I give you...- Litter!

I myself like to ruff it out in the wild right from the start building up my skills, not even stepping into a town.
Its a great way to play.

My only problem is finding easy drinking water, I usually live off apple juice as much as a can, but water should not be that hard to come by right?

Rain water should suffice, but the problem is that to make a funnel you need plastic bottles, and that means usually going into suburbia.

So here is my idea: Litter!
Its everywhere in irl so its not a stretch for it to be in cataclysm.
Find it on the side of roads, by highways, hell even in town(litter was the least of there problems when the shit hit the fan).
Sure most of it would be useless crap like empty chip bags and soda cans, but there would also be plastic bottles mixed in there too!.

Perfect way for you outdoors men to get your hands on some of that sweet life giving liquid!

Some people are really careless. Small chance to have liquid-filled containers? OJ and such would be rotten though.

Adding something like … a Camp Ground area (a full RV park/campground), or just a picnic table + non-movable charcoal grill + a couple trash cans that might have trash items in them (as you’d see at ANY government owned park) would be totally realistic. They’d need to spawn between roads and big forests to make sense.

Hay not a bad idea. I could see that too.

Actually yeah. I mean some amount of ‘litter’ already exists but it’s mostly in the form of random car parts.

Garbage dotted around roads and highways outside of towns, maybe trash cans on sidewalks (in both upright and knocked over variations, with garbage strewn on the ground).

The vast majority would be pretty useless, but the occasional torn bit of clothing to make rags out of, empty bottles to store water, that sort of thing, could be helpful to a wanderer.

A glass bottle partially filled with… what’s that? Beer? Gulp! Yuck! Piss! -25 morale

Actually empty chip bags = ‘plastic bags’ & are pretty useful. In fact you can shred them into plastic chunks & reinforce ballistic glasses. I tend to suffer a dearth of them as I don’t eat chips or beef jerky- (plenty of nutrition around, so something with -quench is a problem).

+1, yo devs: get your things together and dirty up this town!

Actually empty chip bags = ‘plastic bags’ & are pretty useful. In fact you can shred them into plastic chunks & reinforce ballistic glasses. I tend to suffer a dearth of them as I don’t eat chips or beef jerky- (plenty of nutrition around, so something with -quench is a problem).

+1, yo devs: get your things together and dirty up this town![/quote]

You can always (U)nload the chips and other junkfood and keep the sweet, sweet plastic chunks.
I toss the thirst-causing junkfood in a bush and light it on fire.

Since water purification tablets are now common, there is no problem with water.

You haven’t tried no-cities mode, have you? It’s an entirely different game. Personally I think this would be a welcome addition.

Eh, for plastic chunks I just chop up a couple plastic clothing articles that’re lying outside my house.

And leave half the new pile of shredded plastic outside.
Grizzlyadamz poignantly glares at Inadequate.

IIRC there’re a couple recipes that call for the baggies themselves, and for the longest time I had no idea where to get them.

!PROBLEM!
How to handle acid rain? Litter would normally get dissolved.

I believe stuff only gets dissolved when an acid puddle forms directly over it, and that only happens when it lies directly on the road. I’ve never had an issue with anything off the road dissolving.

Oh, well then, carry on.

I love to play that way it really changes the survival aspect

Good plan, what items should appear amoung “road trash”? (don’t feel the need to limit it to items in the game, e.g. “paper cup” should definitely be in there)

paper wrapper, plastic bag, cigarette butt, loose change, empty bottles, empty cans, small pieces of paper/cloth/plastic, paper bags (fast food trash), styrofoam containers, broken small toys

copies of the amulet of yendor!

Paper cups (occasionally have unidentified liquid)
Paper plates
Plastic utensils
Puddle of unidentified liquid (water, juice, mutagen, sewage, human blood…)
Glass bottle (occasionally have unidentified liquid)
Glass cup (occasionally have unidentified liquid)
Plastic bottle (occasionally have unidentified liquid)
Plastic bag (occasionally have potato chips)
Paper
Notes (from the sticky in the Library thread… UGH)
Rotten fruit
Plastic chunks
Bullet casings
Tinfoil
Tin can (occasionally have unidentified food)
Unidentified food (masses of flesh, rotten beets, necco wafers, blueberries…)
Paper bags
Styrofoam cup (occasionally have unidentified liquid)
Paper wrapper

cheap plastic imitation of the Amulet of Yendor :slight_smile:

Cans, paper, rags, clothes(?), sheets (sometimes), maybe a book or two, cell phones…

Yeh.