Food poisoning

You can currently get it from drinking at un-savory sources, but eating raw meat should carry a chance of getting poisoned as well. Maybe even go so far as adding a separate meat for chicken (keep it simple like chunk of beef, chunk of poultry) which has a higher chance of poisoning if eaten raw.

I always thought this as well. How does eating raw meat not give your character food poisoning?

Because meat doesn’t automagically come from the animal complete with food poisoning?

Foodborne illnesses happen as a result of contamination, and currently the game has no way to model that.

Because meat doesn’t automagically come from the animal complete with food poisoning?[/quote]
But it does likely come automatically with a serving of parasites.
The results of which can be substantially worse than the food poisoning in cataclysm.

Giving the player a mild stomach ache, if anything, is being generous.

Goddamn, please don’t add stomach creepy crawlies. I will fucking vomit.

TAPEWORMS

TAPEWORMS[/quote]

Goddamnit! I just threw up mushroom wine and cavy roast, like a cheap party she-dwarf.

Ew.

Cool, are you Ecuadorian? If not, where do you buy roast guinea pig?

I think if you eat dogs, wolves, coyotes, there should be a pretty high chance of worms. My friend’s dog has worms, and one coyote I ate had worms all up in its heart.

Because meat doesn’t automagically come from the animal complete with food poisoning?[/quote]
But it does likely come automatically with a serving of parasites.
The results of which can be substantially worse than the food poisoning in cataclysm.

Giving the player a mild stomach ache, if anything, is being generous.[/quote]

Not every piece of meat out there is infected with megadeath IRL. Rivet is right, only infected meats should give you megadeath.

As already mentioned, raw meat isn’t poisonous, it’s bacteria that grows in cultures on contaminated food. Animals don’t have this bacteria in their meat (though if you butcher an animal incorrectly you can contaminate the meat from the bowels and stomach).

Parasites… no.

For one, most parasites you wouldn’t even register having. With very serious exceptions, for the most part they are not exactly the most exciting thing to introduce as a system. Most of the really scary parasites don’t come from food. The ones that come from under/uncooked meat are more or less just irritants that a suspected majority (some estimate as much as 90% of people) in the US already live with parasites without realizing it, because the symptoms are relatively minor and can be mistaken for other things and are often ignored or treated independent of the parasitic infestation.

Unless you have recently been treated for parasites, you probably have parasites right now.

Suffice to say, I think we can pass over parasitic infection unless Kevin and Gryph wanted to do something crazy with mutated parasites.

I think my favorite parasite is the very rare brain-eating amoeba parasite. It’s not strictly a parasite in that parasites generally by definition have a parasitic stage in the life cycle and cannot (normally) survive without going through this stage. But there’s a type of amoeba that lives in warm water (and can be found in the Southeastern United States), and if through pure bad luck it gets up your nose and finds its way to your brain - not something it is actively trying to do, but it can get there nonetheless - it will eat your brain. It will eat it until you die. And there is literally nothing that we know of that can stop it. Experimental drug trials have failed to stop the thing from eating your brain. It does not naturally want to eat brains, it just will. Y’know. If there’s some nearby.

Nature is awesome.

Yea, most parasites are just a drag on your system, that’s the point, they don’t want you to die. In reality yea you’d probably develop tapeworm, ringworm, and many others, but there isn’t anything to do about them, it isn’t acute, it isn’t dramatic, it’s just icky.
If it were JUST a survival game I’d probably put them in just to be completionist, but in an action/survival game it’s just not compelling.

Re: brain eating amoebas, a lot of it is from people using a neti pot wrong. You use it to flush out your sinuses, but you’re supposed to use hot water and make it strongly saline, which will kill the crap out of amoebas.

[quote=“Hyena Grin, post:11, topic:4421”]As already mentioned, raw meat isn’t poisonous, it’s bacteria that grows in cultures on contaminated food. Animals don’t have this bacteria in their meat (though if you butcher an animal incorrectly you can contaminate the meat from the bowels and stomach).

Parasites… no.

For one, most parasites you wouldn’t even register having. With very serious exceptions, for the most part they are not exactly the most exciting thing to introduce as a system. Most of the really scary parasites don’t come from food. The ones that come from under/uncooked meat are more or less just irritants that a suspected majority (some estimate as much as 90% of people) in the US already live with parasites without realizing it, because the symptoms are relatively minor and can be mistaken for other things and are often ignored or treated independent of the parasitic infestation.

Unless you have recently been treated for parasites, you probably have parasites right now.

I think my favorite parasite is the very rare brain-eating amoeba parasite. It’s not strictly a parasite in that parasites generally by definition have a parasitic stage in the life cycle and cannot (normally) survive without going through this stage. But there’s a type of amoeba that lives in warm water (and can be found in the Southeastern United States), and if through pure bad luck it gets up your nose and finds its way to your brain - not something it is actively trying to do, but it can get there nonetheless - it will eat your brain. It will eat it until you die. And there is literally nothing that we know of that can stop it. Experimental drug trials have failed to stop the thing from eating your brain. It does not naturally want to eat brains, it just will. Y’know. If there’s some nearby.

Nature is awesome.[/quote]

Actually if I recall correctly raw meat (in game) has a small chance of giving you a parasite that you have to kill somehow or it gets worse. Most nature gotten items have a chance until cooked.

Only parasites I know of in-game are the dermatiks and the fungal; neither comes from food. Sorry.

A nice, healthy helping of salmonella. Mmmmm…

Also, the name of the OP made me less than serious.

But seriously, parasites are just icky. Don’t add them.

I agree no parasites please.

But if we don’t use parasites, food poisoning might be a good abstraction for it. Its just a game after all, who minds a little bit of unrealism here and there? Most people likely won’t even notice it.