Fight or Flight help?

Yeah I am aware of the sprint key :stuck_out_tongue: I do try to kite them into the bushes and such, I will try my best to git gud as well. Guns I do not often carry on me, they take up a lot of space while looting but I should consider carrying them more. Thanks everyone!

Throw rocks, use a self bow, set shit on fire behind you. That’s how to deal with wolves.

Mininukes. That’s how to deal with Moose. There is no alternate option.

Starting with a few points in dodge helps with this a lot!

Personally, I have never found moose difficult to fight. Even as an early character, I would throw things at it and shoot it, sometimes getting an extra hit in before it goes down. I understand that they are fast, strong, and a menace to new survivors, but I didn’t put it on a level of something like a hulk.

For the unprepared green survivor, Moose is murder! His murder!
For the veteran cata player with a prepared green survivor, Moose is perfectly ok. Beatable if need be (at some cost) and avoidable if there is no need to confront it.

I consider day 1 scavenging with hordes+static zeds a much greater challenge. Hulks of course are a bigger problem than moose, but not a real thread for fresh survivors, since they are a bit rare early on.

Ive found the game will explicitly gen endgame critters on D1 as rare FUs

hulks
Nadirs
Lords
Masters
shockers
etc.

And yes, I consider shocker brutes to be on par with endgame brutes. especially in the core game.

[quote=“pisskop, post:26, topic:12001”]Ive found the game will explicitly gen endgame critters on D1 as rare FUs

hulks
Nadirs
Lords
Masters
shockers
etc.

And yes, I consider shocker brutes to be on par with endgame brutes. especially in the core game.[/quote]

For a fresh survivor, shockers and shocker brutes are probably the single greatest threat, as you don’t yet have any way to dealing with electricity and the stun that comes with it, and you don’t have any good ranged way of dealing with them, and you don’t do enough damage in melee yet to just tank them and kill them before the next eletro-blast.

I mean, yeah, acid is bad, but a half-decent newbie can take ONE of any of the acid zombies, if they really have to (and be beaten and possibly both legs broken afterwards). But shockers? here, let me stun you AND light you up (at night, that might well be the worse problem).

Brutes and hulks at least knock you away, giving you a chance to run. Yeah, it hurts, but it’s a better chance at running than shockers give you… and shocker brutes have the best of both worlds, hurting you with the hit, but not knocking you far enough back to escape.

In the early game, they are NASTY.

The best strat for new bie survivors without wooden weapons is to light them on fire and let them hit you

try security guard, his starting eq is worse than survivor (no knife, no bottle) but his firearm can aid you at first few fights where you cant escape and other means of fight are bad idea, but after using firearm run away

Taking pain resistant almost infinitely increased my characters survive-ability. Pain resistant can easy make the difference between winning and losing in early melee, and makes a huge difference when you’re facing tougher enemies. Pain has the stupidly damaging effects of lowering your stats, making you slower, and then you’re dead. I used to never do melee because after the first or second zombie I would be dead every time, even with reasonably decent stats. I would basically do throwing until archery until they nerfed archery. I use the old “any stats” system, and take a full +12 in bad traits (I don’t take the “cheat” ones however, like NPC ones). with pain resistant, and high strength/dex, early game combat is so ridiculously easier.

Additionally, at the start of the game you want to get a two-by-four or crowbar as soon as possible, They have the to-hit bonus and do good damage. Wear whatever emergency clothes you can find to stay warm, and rags to make keffiyehs/turbans. If you have to enter combat, Drop the clothes immediately. Don’t use take-off first. I don’t know if it costs more turns, but I’d assume it does. A stone knife is easy to make too, and lets you butcher bodies.

I always start off as a chain-smoker, as the detriment from smoking usually takes a while, and the lighter is one of the best items to start with. I don’t remember if a normal survivor starts with a lighter or knife.

Don’t underestimate the high adrenaline trait. I’ve had a couple of long-lived characters that were each saved multiple times by this trait, I think it’s easily the best 1-point trait on offer.

It gives you an enormous boost in speed right when you need it most, generally enough to outrun nearly anything despite the pain penalty from whatever triggered it.

[quote=“deknegt, post:14, topic:12001”]For ordinary (non-zahmbee) critters, a noisemaker (a gun) or a burning bush are able to scare even moose into fleeing in terror at the sight of man’s ingenuity.

So if you have a gun, and you’re in the wilderness, fire a shot at the critter because if youre lucky you might one-hit it, or else it might turn tail and flee.[/quote]

Or you might just manage to piss it off more, which is hard to do with a Moose. Those things are the Angry Marines of the animal kingdom.