Few things changed since Whales Cataclysm, few questions

Hello

Have some questions about the gameplay(last time I played was some time ago).

Metal doors without attached consoles - any clever way of opening them without blowing things up?
Does new wild animals spawn in static spawn worlds?
Are there any Labs without freezing temperatures when descending to lower levels?
Does makign alot of sound still attract enemies? The effect is dimnished or something?
It is my 2nd spring atm and i have not found any operational vehicles; bad luck or a feature?
Is there any way
Does pawn shops basements lead to any final encounters ? :slight_smile:
Is there possibility to repeat last throw action? ( repeated throw with another item from the stack )

Thanks for the option to mark explored places on the map, I have posted bout this quite some years ago back on the Whales forums. I is like a dream come true :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for all the wonderful answers.

Metal doors: Short of blowing these up or ramming them with a vehicle, the only way method I know of opening these things is by using an acetylene torch + welding goggles to cut them open. If you’re VERY strong I think it’s possible to break the doors down with a sledgehammer.

Wild animals: I believe these respawn even with static spawn on.

Freezing Labs: Yes, there are non-freezing labs.

Sound attracting enemies: I have no clue how this works in static spawn, sorry.

All vehicles being broken: Pretty sure this is a feature, I might be wrong but if I remember correctly according to the lore all the vehicles are broken because all the functioning vehicles have been driven out of the game area by previous survivors. However, it’s possible to find completely functional vehicles abandoned along roads (usually outside of towns) that only need to be refueled to work.

Pawn shop basements: I have no clue. Sorry I can’t help you with this one. However, I didn’t even know pawn shops had basements until now… thanks Malakhaj!

Repeating last action: I don’t think there is.

Anyways, I tried with these answers. Have fun surviving :slight_smile:

[quote=“Malakhaj, post:1, topic:9263”]Metal doors without attached consoles - any clever way of opening them without blowing things up?
Does pawn shops basements lead to any final encounters ? :)[/quote]

I’m assuming these two questions are related. If the door is a metal bar door, it can be opened with a crowbar. Exploring the area you reach when you open the door might lead to an interesting (though not entirely completed) new area, but it is pretty well hidden so you will have to do some searching.

Noodles is right on most of these with a few caveats:

Metal doors: Try using lockpicks on them before resorting to more drastic measures. Many of them can’t be picked though, like the ones in lab armories.

Sound: As I understand it, the general way it works is that enemies within a radius equal to the sound intensity will wander toward the source of the sound. So discharging a shotgun will still call down every zombie in the area, it will just take them a bit longer than dynamic spawn.

Vehicles: Yeah, it’s intended that way so you can’t just grab any car and start running over zombies with it. Even the rare ones that are in working condition still usually need fuel and battery power.

Pawn shop basements: I assume you’re talking about the ones found near pump stations? I’ve wandered all over in there and never found anything noteworthy, so I suppose the answer to that would be no.

Hope this helps some.

I’ve went down to one of those basements. I thought it was just a room connecting to the sewers, so I didn’t bother with them.

[quote=“Malakhaj, post:1, topic:9263”]1. Metal doors without attached consoles - any clever way of opening them without blowing things up?
2. Does new wild animals spawn in static spawn worlds?
3. Are there any Labs without freezing temperatures when descending to lower levels?
4. Does makign alot of sound still attract enemies? The effect is dimnished or something?
5. It is my 2nd spring atm and i have not found any operational vehicles; bad luck or a feature?[/quote]

Edited quote for easier answering

1. As mentioned by others: lockpicks. You might need to waste a lot of those before it works.
  2. Certainly in new areas, not so sure about areas already explored.
  3. Apparently some people are having streaks of ice labs. Some mapgen functions were reworked, so it might be a bug, but I’d say it’s just luck.
  4. It only attracts enemies within the reality bubble and hordes.
  5. Bad luck. Some cars are always spawned operational, rest has a random number of damaged part, lack of fuel etc.

Thanks for the answers. About the reality bubble; does it apply to crops ? are there any game mechanics that are excluded from the bubble?

What about triffids? I remember that their groves were spreading pretty fast, even when character was further away than 60 tiles.

[quote=“Malakhaj, post:7, topic:9263”]Thanks for the answers. About the reality bubble; does it apply to crops ? are there any game mechanics that are excluded from the bubble?

What about triffids? I remember that their groves were spreading pretty fast, even when character was further away than 60 tiles.[/quote]

Most strictly timed mechanics ignore the bubble. This includes crops, funnels and (I think) big charcoal kilns.
Vehicles partially ignore bubble - any vehicle that was in the bubble will keep processing out of it until the game is saved (including quick/autosave).

Triffid groves don’t seem to spread now, but can’t tell for sure.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:8, topic:9263”][quote=“Malakhaj, post:7, topic:9263”]Thanks for the answers. About the reality bubble; does it apply to crops ? are there any game mechanics that are excluded from the bubble?

What about triffids? I remember that their groves were spreading pretty fast, even when character was further away than 60 tiles.[/quote]

Most strictly timed mechanics ignore the bubble. This includes crops, funnels and (I think) big charcoal kilns.
Vehicles partially ignore bubble - any vehicle that was in the bubble will keep processing out of it until the game is saved (including quick/autosave).

Triffid groves don’t seem to spread now, but can’t tell for sure.[/quote]

Triffid groves/undergrounds, of themselves, don’t expand but the triffids go everywhere. I suppose the Queens’ plant growth could qualify–that’s their doing, not the grove, and happens when they’re in the bubble. Fungal blooms & blossoms certainly expand, though, but that’s to the degree that their (much more stationary) members are in the bubble.

You mean as in “have spawn groups all over the place” or “actually create new spawn spots during gameplay”?

I couldn’t find any evidence for the latter, though maybe I just didn’t read the sources correctly. Hordes seem to only be created with the zombie group.
It probably would be/is a cool feature.

You mean as in “have spawn groups all over the place” or “actually create new spawn spots during gameplay”?

I couldn’t find any evidence for the latter, though maybe I just didn’t read the sources correctly. Hordes seem to only be created with the zombie group.
It probably would be/is a cool feature.[/quote]

I thought they still spawned dynamically, but if not then they definitely have groups in a fairly wide radius of the grove.

[quote=“Malakhaj, post:1, topic:9263”]Hello

Have some questions about the gameplay(last time I played was some time ago).

Metal doors without attached consoles - any clever way of opening them without blowing things up?

Is there possibility to repeat last throw action? ( repeated throw with another item from the stack )[/quote]

If you have a sledge hammer. smack the wall next to the metal door if you do not car about preserving it. If your trying to get inside, a jack hammer (gas and electric works).

2nd year and no car? Default time length? I tend to change mine to 45+ days or so per season, as short seasons by default seems odd to me. By 30 days I usually have 2 cars. Mechanics is probably the easiest skill to level. Take parts off cars. Rebuild a motorcycle. In 1-2 days you can fix the car with 3 busted wheels, and siphon gas into it.