A few questions

1. what is the difference between dynamic spawn mode and static spawn mode? does the static spawn mode mean that all zombies in the game will spawn at game start, and then not respawn after killed, so that when you clear an area there will never be zombies there again?

2. can i install a muffler anywhere on a flatbed truck that i want, or does it need to be in a certain spot to have any effect?

3. which buildings are disabled with classic zombies mode enabled?

4. is there a way to make the world area bigger so i don’t have to use “;” all the time to look ahead pf me when i’m driving?

5. how do funnels work, and how do i harvest water from them? i’ve got a bunch set up around my evac shelter but i don’t know how to get water from them.

I’m gonna do my best to answer what I know, consider these temporary answers until someone more informed steps up.

1. Yes, static means all zombies are spawned at the start of the game. when you kill all of them in a certain area, that’s it. the town is clear.
    Dynamic is the complete opposite, they are spawned on the spot in relation to how much noise you are making. I’ve read that it is still possible to clear towns, after killing only god knows how many spawned zombies they will eventually stop spawning.

2. I do believe you can install them anywhere, but I’m not 100% on that.
    I do know that more than one is pointless, so don’t try stacking them in hopes of a completely silent vehicle.

3. I’m not sure about this one.

4. Other than increasing the window width/height in the options window, I don’t think so.

5. You activate and deploy them, and then (e)xamine them while its raining to transfer water to a container.
    I’m pretty sure if you wait until its finished raining, there wont be any water to collect. it has to be done while raining.

For number three, I think ‘buildings’ probably means ant hills, temples, triffid groves and the like. I haven’t actually played classic zombies, so don’t quote me on this.

1. TheTinCat is correct. One important thing: Static affects zombies and only zombies. All other critters are still dynamically spawned. On balance, this means that towns no longer give the 90-minute safe window (which may or may not be relevant for your map anyway, since newer buildings come populated), but can generally be cleared much more quickly and observably. Gunfire can only pull existing zeds, not spawn additional ones.

2. TheTinCat is correct.

3. I haven’t played it but have read a bit: anything having to do with the Blob. In particular, Labs are gone (and you’ll miss them), but you’ll miss out on Bee Hives as well. Strange Temples are probably gone, but they technically don’t need the Blob so I’d need to code-dive to be sure. I’d recommend leaving Classic Zombies off. It cuts a lot of content.

4. TheTinCat is correct. I play with 25 each, if that helps (I use a desktop monitor.)

5. TheTinCat is correct. I recommend deploying it just outside a door/window so you can stay dry whilst collecting.

From the description it sounds like everything extra-dimensional is gone, so I’m guessing temples and rat caves are a no-go. Ain’t got no “Cthulhu fthagn” here! Is it just the blob stuff that’s missing? Can you still find artifacts and stuff?

From the description it sounds like everything extra-dimensional is gone, so I’m guessing temples and rat caves are a no-go. Ain’t got no “Cthulhu fthagn” here! Is it just the blob stuff that’s missing? Can you still find artifacts and stuff?[/quote]

OK. Code-dive complete. Classic disables: (If it’s not in this list, it’s still around.)

Map Extras (the corpse piles, etc): (mapdata.h)
Science Corpses
Portals (Rubble, One-way/Marloss)
“Fumarole”/Lava Rift
Anomaly (Artifact sites)

Map Tiles (buildings, etc): (overmap.cpp)
Bee Hive
NOT the Cult Cabin (bug?)
Strange Temple
Lab
NOT the FEMA camp
Mil Bunker (I guess because of the high-tech CBMs?)
Mil Outpost (Heh???)
Mil Silo (Heh???)
NOT the Cathedral
Possibly Cathedral Basement (Quest-breaker, potential bug)
Mines
Anthills
Spider Pits
Slime Pit
Fungal Bloom
Triffid Grove
All Caves (Heh???)

Without anomalies, Mines, or Temples, it’s impossible to find artifacts. Without military facilities or labs, you’ll be hard-pressed to find bionics, and the only way to mutate is from radiation (dangerous, unhealthy, and unreliable) or sewage (vomit-intensive). This appears to cut all areas covered by an Advanced Guide, and some that were used to train the Advanced Guide’s testbed character. Lava is not available in Classic Zeds.

great! thanks for the answers!

there are a couple of map extras that i’ve encountered:

crash sites
groups of dead drug dealers/gangbangers

though what about the LMOE shelters? are those in classice, and if so where do i find one and what do they look like?

I don’t see a reason they should be removed… They’re red +'s on the map, and they look like mounds of trees and shrubs with a door on one side. You find them on the edge or in the middle of forests.

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:1, topic:2455”]1. what is the difference between dynamic spawn mode and static spawn mode? does the static spawn mode mean that all zombies in the game will spawn at game start, and then not respawn after killed, so that when you clear an area there will never be zombies there again?

1. can i install a muffler anywhere on a flatbed truck that i want, or does it need to be in a certain spot to have any effect?

2. which buildings are disabled with classic zombies mode enabled?

3. is there a way to make the world area bigger so i don’t have to use “;” all the time to look ahead pf me when i’m driving?

4. how do funnels work, and how do i harvest water from them? i’ve got a bunch set up around my evac shelter but i don’t know how to get water from them.[/quote]

1: In static spawn, all zombies that spawn in town are there from the start and don’t respawn, ever. Other monsters and animals still spawn normally outside of town.

2: As far as I know, there isn’t a required place to put a muffler.

3: Outposts, labs, bunkers, FEMA camps (I think)

4: What’s your desktop resolution? I am at 1900x600 and use 70 by 25 in the height/width

[quote=“Clayton, post:9, topic:2455”][quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:1, topic:2455”]1. what is the difference between dynamic spawn mode and static spawn mode? does the static spawn mode mean that all zombies in the game will spawn at game start, and then not respawn after killed, so that when you clear an area there will never be zombies there again?

1. can i install a muffler anywhere on a flatbed truck that i want, or does it need to be in a certain spot to have any effect?

2. which buildings are disabled with classic zombies mode enabled?

3. is there a way to make the world area bigger so i don’t have to use “;” all the time to look ahead pf me when i’m driving?

4. how do funnels work, and how do i harvest water from them? i’ve got a bunch set up around my evac shelter but i don’t know how to get water from them.[/quote]

1: In static spawn, all zombies that spawn in town are there from the start and don’t respawn, ever. Other monsters and animals still spawn normally outside of town.

2: As far as I know, there isn’t a required place to put a muffler.

3: Outposts, labs, bunkers, FEMA camps (I think)

4: What’s your desktop resolution? I am at 1900x600 and use 70 by 25 in the height/width[/quote]

3: haven’t seen a lab, bunker, or outpost, but there are FEMA camps in the version i’m playing.

4: i’m playing with http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=17.0 which means the game is different from what my computer runs, and i don’t know how to change it.

Would you still be able to cook up mutagen and purifier with high-level Cooking skill, or are those recipes gone too?

i have another question:

how do i get a fire to keep going for more than a few minutes? i even tried pouring gasoline on my logs and it just ends up going out after a little bit. does continuously feeding a fire make it keep going? or is fire scripted to only burn the starting materials?

Dynamic spawns change strategy. Its the original way the game worked. I think they will add it back in eventually and combine with static. Old strategy:

1. you initially got about 4 hours to get to town before any zombies spawned. Now there are zombies there to start
  2. noise spawned zombies. so breaking windows spawned zombies. Noise is not as important with static spawns (atleast not now)
  3. crowbar was essential. so you can quiety open doors and windows ('a’pply it). if not, you make noise and zombies spawn on top of you
  4. it was easier to raid towns at night. If your quiet less zombies. just get night vision trait. However,back then there were not as many craftable items so survival in the forest was not as hard. There were also less special zombies (no smokers which are killers).

I have not tried the dynamic spawns recently. Doing it with the special zombies could be nasty. Noise is alot more important and not sure if smokers could spawn on top of you. Its a different gameplay style. As stated, I have a hunch they will combine the two spawns eventually.

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:12, topic:2455”]i have another question:

how do i get a fire to keep going for more than a few minutes? i even tried pouring gasoline on my logs and it just ends up going out after a little bit. does continuously feeding a fire make it keep going? or is fire scripted to only burn the starting materials?[/quote]

I believe additional fuel does make them burn longer, but really, this should be incredibly easy to test.

Just go to a road next to a forest, pile up sets of heavy sticks a few squares apart - say, going from a single stick in the first pile up to five sticks in the fifth pile - then set them alight and observe how long they last.

It’s not just the characters who learn by doing in Cataclysm.

They’re still in, but still fairly uncommon. I edited my post to clarify.

I’d imagine the mutagen recipe is still in, but 9-10 Cooking isn’t easy to get. Insect/Spider Mutagen would be unavailable, I believe, without the giant insects.

how long does it take for zombies to revive in static mode if not butchered properly?