Fear And Loathing in The Apocalypse Updated

You may want to stay away from compiling SDL binaries for now. It’s difficult to tell what’s causing what problems.
Right now there’s a direct crash to desktop whenever I just run through a town.

Then there’s the issue of “non-paragraphed” item descriptions… which are all over the place.
The .357 drops .44 casings.
Many drugs give strange usage messages. Shooting up ibogaine? I imagine you did this to retain the deadliness effect but it’s still very hacky.

Basically, there’s a whole lot to be done still. I’ve noted that you’re trying to grow (just going by where and what you post) but really, this isn’t at all ready for the general public yet. “Vanilla” functions are hardly enough to handle the complexities of these drugs (some of them aren’t instant for example). Hallucinations, trip quality and length, mood during ingestion, introspective effects… there’s a lot to consider. A whole lot.

Well, route of administration is a funny thing. I know there’s certain inconsistencies, but until JSON files are expanded, there’s just somethings I can’t do. Duration, for one, I believe is hard coded in the “USE_ACTION” thing. If I could get into the file where monsters are, I could add in more hallucinations.

I tried for a good while getting the .357 to be it’s own caliber, but it just won’t. Crashes, no matter how I try. So I gimped it a little and made it a .44 behind the scenes.

And I guess it was a poor idea to convert it to the nightly build. I just wanted to keep it current with the current version. Road to hell being paved with bad intentions.

Okay. Now, I’ve fixed it. Had to revert to a more earlier, stabler build, but it’s got all the same content. Hope you folks enjoy. I wish this could get merged with main branch, but I can’t figure out Github. If someone wants to steal my code and elaborate on it, feel free.

Can’t think of any more changes, but at the moment, I’m happy with where it is.

Just so you know when you take LSD it can take over 2 hours to actually kick in.

I know this first hand, not from wikipedia.

Far as I can tell, there’s no easy way to change duration of drugs, or how quick they kick in. This game is very instant gratification behind the scenes in it’s mechanisms.

Just so you know when you take LSD it can take over 2 hours to actually kick in.
You were on some downers; or someone you know, for that matter. If you don't read wiki, me too - but you're bound to have a recoil for 45 mins tops, not as durable as your doing. I'm thinking you're concerned about the afterburn, which takes place after 48 hours - and is the main reason one should keep away from synthetic halucinogens.

Version 6 is out now. Got a ton of new professions, a lot of new stuff. Elvis fans will be able to live out their dream, as Elvis, in the post apocalyptic wasteland.
We’ve got O.J Simpson, and Anton Chigurh, Buffalo Bill, Tony Montana, and more… Special thanks to Zireal for the profession skill code, as that was causing a bit of a hang up when I tried to code it. Good code, man.

Enjoy V6, and watch out. Those dogs… they aren’t what they look like.

Looks great (at least the drugs part), but where are the sources?

Also this mod seems to suffer severe feature creep.

[quote=“TheGrifter, post:28, topic:1700”]Version 6 is out now. Got a ton of new professions, a lot of new stuff. Elvis fans will be able to live out their dream, as Elvis, in the post apocalyptic wasteland.
We’ve got O.J Simpson, and Anton Chigurh, Buffalo Bill, Tony Montana, and more… Special thanks to Zireal for the profession skill code, as that was causing a bit of a hang up when I tried to code it. Good code, man.

Enjoy V6, and watch out. Those dogs… they aren’t what they look like.[/quote]

I’m not sure what I did to deserve recognition…

I copied your profession skill code and elaborated on it a bit. I was having difficulty creating professions with multiple skills. Just didn’t want to use a bit of code without sourcing it.

I created a character in a new world and immediately saved (As is my usual strategy in case I encounter any bugs). Upon reloading the save, I got ‘tried to use non-existant profession ‘mint’’ which crashed my game.

Edit: Now it had the same crash when I started a new game with a character template

Should be fixed now. This is mostly a bug fix update. New profession, Bad Lieutenant, though. Starts with a gun, badge, and a massive addiction to opiates and crack. Have fun.

V8 is out! Lots of new work on this one. Some of it (most of it) was done drunk, so I don’t remember too much of the changes, but I worked a good long time on it.

Spawning system works, tons of new books, food, drugs, professions, and more. Enjoy.

i need to up this topic just to say that this mod is awesome!!

I like this. I’d like it more without the fictional drugs and other changes like shotgun suppressors bundled in, but to each his own. Just wanted to say…

• The lower-quality cocaines should have an antiparasitic effect if you use enough of them. Cocaine is (literally always) cut with bovine worming drugs nowadays, mainly because the tests available to fellow drug dealers have no way of detecting it’s been cut. It’s almost unheard of for cocaine to even leave the refineries without getting cut nowadays.

• Since you have black tar and china white, regular heroin should probably get a more specific name too. I’d suggest “#3 Chunky”, since it’s fairly common, or “6-mono Homebake”, if you want to keep an easily craftable recipe for it.

• China White itself isn’t any stronger than other preparations. If you want a “super-heroin” I’d suggest Fentanyl (~100 times stronger) and Fentanyl-Boosted Heroin (craftable from regular heroin and fentanyl to potentiate each other make your supply go a lot further. Probably requires some other chems, I don’t know the exact process)

• Krokodil’s description identifies it as a type of heroin, it’s actually a dangerously impure preparation of Desamorphine. Should be craftable-only, even in places where wretched souls use it, it’s always made by the end-user and consumed immediately after production. It’s not something you’d ever find lying around anyplace. Can the game code replicate it’s more notable side-effects?

• Since you’re adding in scifi references and fictional drugs, it would be a shame not to have Moloko z Nozy. It’ll sharpen you up.

i miss DMT
we could extract it directly from pineal gland !

[quote=“Bumpkin, post:36, topic:1700”]I like this. I’d like it more without the fictional drugs and other changes like shotgun suppressors bundled in, but to each his own. Just wanted to say…

• The lower-quality cocaines should have an antiparasitic effect if you use enough of them. Cocaine is (literally always) cut with bovine worming drugs nowadays, mainly because the tests available to fellow drug dealers have no way of detecting it’s been cut. It’s almost unheard of for cocaine to even leave the refineries without getting cut nowadays.

• Since you have black tar and china white, regular heroin should probably get a more specific name too. I’d suggest “#3 Chunky”, since it’s fairly common, or “6-mono Homebake”, if you want to keep an easily craftable recipe for it.

• China White itself isn’t any stronger than other preparations. If you want a “super-heroin” I’d suggest Fentanyl (~100 times stronger) and Fentanyl-Boosted Heroin (craftable from regular heroin and fentanyl to potentiate each other make your supply go a lot further. Probably requires some other chems, I don’t know the exact process)

• Krokodil’s description identifies it as a type of heroin, it’s actually a dangerously impure preparation of Desamorphine. Should be craftable-only, even in places where wretched souls use it, it’s always made by the end-user and consumed immediately after production. It’s not something you’d ever find lying around anyplace. Can the game code replicate it’s more notable side-effects?

• Since you’re adding in scifi references and fictional drugs, it would be a shame not to have Moloko z Nozy. It’ll sharpen you up.[/quote]
    You (worryingly) know exactly what your talking about. The maker should listen to you.

Huh. I hadn’t thought about this mod for a while.

I suppose I could update it, but there were limitations that would only be solved by adding code to certain .ccp files.

A year ago, I sort of learned how to cargo-cult it, just sort of a primitive copy, monkey see, monkey do.

It would take a lot of work, but if there was an audience for it, I just might.

There’s always an audience for crazy doped adventures.
Do it for the American dream if nothing else.