Fat Dog Tileset - Alpha release 0.1 ( Cataclysm 1.6 with catatiles)

[quote=“daftigod, post:10, topic:731”]new enemies

item sampler

[/quote]

Are these all stolen? Because the Rabbit/Bunny sprite is stolen from Terraria.

Stolen? No. Stealing implies that you take it away from someone else. Copies maybe (I wouldn’t know) but never stolen I can assure you.

Also, that’s not actually the Terraria bunny. Similar, but not the same.

Yes, the bunny is a modified terraria sprite. it’s been flipped, recolored, pink nose added, and a bigger tail / less sharp back foot. Here are some others that used modified sprites to get a 24x24 version:

actual size

Now, out of all the tiles I’ve posted so far, you noticed that the tiniest one in the entire set is similar to one in another game. Great eye you have, but I don’t appreciate the accusation that I stole all of the rest. That would be like saying I am a plagiarist because I copied four words from Wikipedia in a 5,000 word essay. I can’t blame you for asking though, since it is almost identical to terraria version and they actually use it in their logos and stuff like that. There are alot of people out there who steal things and call them their own. I am not one of those people though.

I did the Old RPG set using assets from Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior and never once called the monsters my work. You can check out the thread here. If you read it you can see that I stated multiple times that the monster sprites and objects were not my work, and thanks Square / Enix for creating them in the first place. I also never charged a penny for a 6,000 tile set because of that fact, even though people were willing to donate money to the cause.

Tl,dr : Yes I modified the terraria bunny. It’s not called stealing. No I am not a thief. Don’t like being called one. Will change the bunny anyway.

It /does/ create copyright concerns for the game, though, and would preclude shipping your tileset in official distributions, when that’s supported. Copyright covers derivative works. Which has caused no end of trouble to small-time pixel arists working on game products in the past. >_<

[quote=“daftigod, post:24, topic:731”]Yes, the bunny is a modified terraria sprite. it’s been flipped, recolored, pink nose added, and a bigger tail / less sharp back foot. Here are some others that used modified sprites to get a 24x24 version:

actual size

Now, out of all the tiles I’ve posted so far, you noticed that the tiniest one in the entire set is similar to one in another game. Great eye you have, but I don’t appreciate the accusation that I stole all of the rest. That would be like saying I am a plagiarist because I copied four words from Wikipedia in a 5,000 word essay. I can’t blame you for asking though, since it is almost identical to terraria version and they actually use it in their logos and stuff like that. There are alot of people out there who steal things and call them their own. I am not one of those people though.

I did the Old RPG set using assets from Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior and never once called the monsters my work. You can check out the thread here. If you read it you can see that I stated multiple times that the monster sprites and objects were not my work, and thanks Square / Enix for creating them in the first place. I also never charged a penny for a 6,000 tile set because of that fact, even though people were willing to donate money to the cause.

Tl,dr : Yes I modified the terraria bunny. It’s not called stealing. No I am not a thief. Don’t like being called one. Will change the bunny anyway.[/quote]

Carry on :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry about that outburst, i was in rough shape yesterday. We had to put down our 17 yr old cat, and it was a hard day. Reading over my post I kinda sounded a little pissy and unprofessional and I try not to post like that usually.

You guys are both right, and my goal is definitely to get this set included in the distribution at some point. With copyrighted material that would not work out, and this same situation has already kept my work from being included with ToME so I should not be getting defensive about the subject.

So with that said, Fat Dog is already at a point where it does not contain a single direct copy of any copyrighted sprite. Even before this post, there was not a single direct copy to be found. I am willing to replace tiles that are deemed too similar to already existing commercial games. But, keep in mind that there are only so many was to draw a bunny or a rat in a 12x12 space, and still have it be recognizable at a distance. There are only so many different ways to render an 12x6 aspirin vial. There is only one way to draw a circle that is 10 pixels wide. I have 576 total pixels to work with here, if I’m using the entire tile size. So you have to cut some slack please! Also, since I use black outlines on everything by design, it leaves me with less room for colored pixels. This is a limitation I feel is worth the sacrifice when viewing things at a distance. It makes objects pop out more against the background!

Here’ the new bunny from scratch, just for you Mike

Nice redone bunny, daftigod.

I think I’ll also add that although I love the idea of the OldRPG tileset for ToME, and the aesthetic of the original tiles, I never ended up using it for very long - partly because I found it distracting to see stuff like Dragon Warrior slimes being used in something that’s not at all related. And also partly because some of the sprites don’t really match the description (I think wolves may have been using an armored dog sprite from FFVI, or something?).

So, from a purely aesthetic standpoint, I’m in favor of having sprites look like they belong in Cataclysm, as opposed to being immediately identifiable as being from another game. Plus legal concerns, as have already been mentioned.

Keep up the good work, btw. Your stuff’s looking good, and hopefully we can get tileset support in DDA soon-ish. Might even be an incentive for us to separate the display code from the game logic, as well :).

[quote=“daftigod, post:27, topic:731”]Sorry about that outburst, i was in rough shape yesterday. We had to put down our 17 yr old cat, and it was a hard day. Reading over my post I kinda sounded a little pissy and unprofessional and I try not to post like that usually.

You guys are both right, and my goal is definitely to get this set included in the distribution at some point. With copyrighted material that would not work out, and this same situation has already kept my work from being included with ToME so I should not be getting defensive about the subject.

So with that said, Fat Dog is already at a point where it does not contain a single direct copy of any copyrighted sprite. Even before this post, there was not a single direct copy to be found. I am willing to replace tiles that are deemed too similar to already existing commercial games. But, keep in mind that there are only so many was to draw a bunny or a rat in a 12x12 space, and still have it be recognizable at a distance. There are only so many different ways to render an 12x6 aspirin vial. There is only one way to draw a circle that is 10 pixels wide. I have 576 total pixels to work with here, if I’m using the entire tile size. So you have to cut some slack please! Also, since I use black outlines on everything by design, it leaves me with less room for colored pixels. This is a limitation I feel is worth the sacrifice when viewing things at a distance. It makes objects pop out more against the background!

Here’ the new bunny from scratch, just for you Mike

[/quote]

Oh no your fine, I know how that feels putting down a pet that you’ve grow attached to. I would be pretty pissed too if someone accused me of stealing. I like the new bunny btw lol. Keep up the great work! Can’t wait to see the other stuff that you make.

Love the texture pack. I have you to thank for getting me into cataclysm. I’ve been playing it for 2 days now and loving it. When will the next release be ready?

My point exactly. The tiles and textures are what got me into Cataclysm in the first place. Perhaps we could focus exclusively on Cataclysm as a community with respect to the graphics department and start gathering up different pixel art packages for the title as that would help improve its image before the eyes of the rest of the world.

And when it comes to whether the next release of his work is ready to go or not… I sure hope that release is on its way to where we live. :smiley:

Hey guys, thanks for the support! I haven’t worked on this project in a few weeks though, very sorry about that. I’ve been busy looking for work in RL and managed to get seriously hooked on FTL in my free time. I will be getting back to this when things are more stable for me, hopefully within a couple of weeks.

There has been a ton of stuff added and changed since 0.1 already though, and I’ll think about getting a 0.2 version together for you guys soon!

[quote=“daftigod, post:32, topic:731”]Hey guys, thanks for the support! I haven’t worked on this project in a few weeks though, very sorry about that. I’ve been busy looking for work in RL and managed to get seriously hooked on FTL in my free time. I will be getting back to this when things are more stable for me, hopefully within a couple of weeks.

There has been a ton of stuff added and changed since 0.1 already though, and I’ll think about getting a 0.2 version together for you guys soon![/quote]

Yeah, I know where you’re coming from there, bud. Hope you find employment real soon and get things in order.

Also, I’m really looking forward to the upcoming update to your graphics implementation project as that’s the only feature that can remotely serve as an incentive to keep playing Cataclysm that I can think of at the moment. Best of luck!

sorry for necroing, but is this dead? :O, id love to try it with those vehicle tiles!!!

There is currently no graphics support for cataclysm.
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=202.0

There is currently no graphics support for cataclysm.
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=202.0[/quote]

im with that dude when I say id love to see vehicle sprites (the .2 stuff he was working on for the old Cataclysm build)

i realize dda has no support yet.

unless you were talking ABOUT the original cataclysm… then damn…

but he did a lot with what he had so far it even had responsive gear and stuff! AND FIRE AND SMOKE!!