Extended Cataclysm v1.0a

[quote=“Chiko, post:19, topic:5330”]Edit: "Bone and Wood needles cannot be used for this."
Maybe they should… If you can stab monsters with them, then that means they are big enough to be used for knitting. Hmm…[/quote]They are big enough in the same sense that a typical pocket knife is big enough. Knitting needles are a lot longer and thicker than that. You should really make them craftable from skewers or wire.

I’m in favor of tons more of food items, hopefully around the time more inventory slots are implemented!

[quote=“Chiko, post:18, topic:5330”]I’m trying something. I want to add wool as a crafting material so some wool items could be created and disassembled. These are the ideas for this to work:

Knitting Kit:
“This is a plastic kit with a variety of big needles, some plastic spools for yarn, and a few other useful textile tools. Use a knitting kit only to create clothing.”
-I thought about allowing this item to repair clothes too but I don’t think that is possible unless I find a way to only repair wool clothes.
-Refilling this with Yarn is just for storing purposes since crafting recipes need the kit and yarn separately so disassembling woolen items don’t require a “charged” kit.
-The kit is a bit bigger and weights more than a sewing kit.
-Another option would be to not create this kit and just use the Sewing Kit. Maybe change its stats a bit, name it Tailoring Kit and edit the description another bit.

Wool Yarn:
“A small quantity of wool yarn that could be used to refill a knitting kit.”
-This will be the basic crafting block for wool items.
-It’s just a copy of thread but stacks in less quantities.

Wool Bolt:
“A bolt of knitted fabric used to make big wool garments.”
-Since wool clothes should take a lot more time to make and there’s no “continue work” when interrupted, these should be required to make clothes bigger than woolen socks and gloves, for instance.

Stitch 'n Sticks:
“A knitting magazine with basic tips and recipes.”
-Not sure about the name but this magazine should train tailoring and give you maybe 5 recipes.
-This could be the only book about this but I would like to allow players to learn how to make the rest of the wool items by disassembling them like you do with some electronics.

Le question be… is it a good idea to try adding something like this or it’s just unnecessary?[/quote]

We’ve considered making wool craftable like that before; never went anywhere, but wasn’t downchecked. Feel free to PR it. Will probably need some work, but I’d approve knitting for a mainline addition.

FWIW I believe that stuff like the soldering iron and sewing kit only work on items made of X material. Should be able to copy that for “wool” for the sewing kit.

And we’d need to check some materials on existing items. I made the cowboy hat wool to go for the “felt” type of wool, for instance. Can change it to cotton or leather easily enough.

TLDR: Go for it.

[quote=“Sean Mirrsen, post:21, topic:5330”][quote=“Chiko, post:19, topic:5330”]Edit: “Bone and Wood needles cannot be used for this.”
Maybe they should… If you can stab monsters with them, then that means they are big enough to be used for knitting. Hmm…[/quote]They are big enough in the same sense that a typical pocket knife is big enough. Knitting needles are a lot longer and thicker than that. You should really make them craftable from skewers or wire.[/quote]
I’ll think about it. I don’t really feel like this should need a new tool, though. I’ve been trying to avoid adding new tools, actually. I kinda want to add more uses for the ones already in the game instead.

I have some more ideas for food. I’m adding recipes I suggested a while ago but I gathering new ones too. New cocktails are definitely going to be added in the next update. Also, the chemistry kit will probably get more uses for making some new drugs I have in mind.

[quote=“KA101, post:23, topic:5330”]We’ve considered making wool craftable like that before; never went anywhere, but wasn’t downchecked. Feel free to PR it. Will probably need some work, but I’d approve knitting for a mainline addition.

FWIW I believe that stuff like the soldering iron and sewing kit only work on items made of X material. Should be able to copy that for “wool” for the sewing kit.

And we’d need to check some materials on existing items. I made the cowboy hat wool to go for the “felt” type of wool, for instance. Can change it to cotton or leather easily enough.

TLDR: Go for it.[/quote]
The latest update just incorporated wool crafting into the mod. I’ve been testing it and it works great so far. The recipes probably need some rebalancing, though. I’m not pretty good at that. The thing I like about them is that they are not forced on the player, since they can only be learned by the new book or by disassembling them.

How about just using the extant wooden skewers for knitting?

How about just using the extant wooden skewers for knitting?[/quote]

_>

That’s actually a pretty good idea. It will get added in the next update too.

Edit: Is there a way to make the recipe ask for 2 skewers as tools? It’s either 1 skewer or 1 skewer with 2 charges. :stuck_out_tongue:

What about this new bread recipe?

Wastebread:
“Flour is a commodity these days and to deal with that, most survivors resort to mix it with leftovers of other ingredients and bake it all into bread. It’s filling, and that’s what matters.”

Requires:
Cooking 2 and Survival 1

Tools:
Hotplate (10) OR Charcoal Smoker (1) OR Integrated Toolset (1) OR Nearby Fire

Components:
-1x Flour
-3x Bone Meal
-1x Chitin Powder OR 1x Cornmeal OR 1x Oatmeal OR 1x Powdered Eggs OR 2x Powdered Milk
-2x Water OR 2x Clean Water

I love what you’ve done for all this. They are very neat items, and the wool knitting is certainly something that should be in the main game. My question is though, where exactly are you planning to go with this as far as items to be added? Tons of potential.

Well, I always start by making new items for games but I sometimes end up adding a lot of different stuff like new enemies, places and the like. I’m planning on adding new drugs and weapons but if I could make a total conversion I would definitely try it.

How about just using the extant wooden skewers for knitting?[/quote]

_>

That’s actually a pretty good idea. It will get added in the next update too.

Edit: Is there a way to make the recipe ask for 2 skewers as tools? It’s either 1 skewer or 1 skewer with 2 charges. :P[/quote]You could give skewers “knitting quality” level 1, and have the recipe require 2 items with knitting quality level 1.

edit: quick test:

:open_mouth:

That works. I had no idea you could edit stuff like that. I could use the tool quality stuff for lots of other things.

Well damn, new enemies? Let me know if I can help out at all, I’m pretty much doing the same things you are. I know it can be a pain in the ass to work on everything individually.

That’s why y’all should get with Git; so you’re on the same page as all of the rest of us.

Get it on git and get it merged with mainline, hopefully?

You’ve got the idea.

You’ve got the idea.[/quote]

Well, there’s a reason I don’t. Anything I’m planning to make is heavily dependant on the player’s personal choice in their game. Not everyone wants mutant baboons knocking in their shit. So I’ll keep to this.

That works. I had no idea you could edit stuff like that. I could use the tool quality stuff for lots of other things.[/quote]

Just went in last night. :wink:

Actually, I did that on 0.A-419, from 08.03.2014. So it’s been in for a while, but nobody could devote any attention to it. It still can’t use optional tools, or use charges, for instance. The recent update merely fixed it so that “level” and “count” variables actually set level and count, not the other way around.

Incidentally, I’d love to help out with the adding of various items and recipes. Just as soon as I can get CDDA to compile, because there are some things I want to change/fix before that.

Hehe… the modding community in this game is pretty active. I was modding a game a while ago where there wasn’t even an active player community. Then again, the game is pretty old and not many knew about it.

Anyways, I’m trying something else right now.

Shopping Bag:
“A disposable plastic bag. Can be used to carry your groceries back home.”
-It “covers” the hands just to give 2 encumbrance but adds 10 inventory space.

I also want to give them other uses. Water collectors just like funnels. Recipes to make them wearable as gloves and socks to keep your hands and feet from getting wet on rainy days. A recipe to recycle a number of plastic bags into a plastic chunk and probably being used for other crude recipes.

I’ve been trying to add the water collector, which is just an edited copy of a funnel but I can’t make it work properly. I don’t quite understand how they work, actually. There are strings in the code I haven’t messed with before.

Mkay, lads. New update for today.

Wastebread:
“Flour is a commodity these days and to deal with that, most survivors resort to mix it with leftovers of other ingredients and bake it all into bread. It’s filling, and that’s what matters.”

Bee’s Knees:
“This cocktail dates from the Prohibition era. Gin, honey and lemon in a delightful mix.”

Shopping Bag:
“A disposable plastic bag. Can be used to carry your groceries back home.”

Bag Gloves:
“A pair of disposable plastic bags, adapted to be used as gloves. Each has 5 holes at the bottom for the fingers and the handles are ripped so it’s easier to tie around the hands.”

Bag Socks:
“A pair of disposable plastic bags, adapted to be used as socks. You slip your feet in them and use the ripped handles to tie them.”

Knit Cowl:
“A snuggly woolen cowl. It’s one of those stylish and bulky cowls you see in fashion magazines.”

Other Changes:
-Scissors are now heavier and made of steel instead of aluminium and can now be disassembled into two spikes.
-Wool Bolts take more room and are a bit heavier.
-Some of the new items can be found in buildings. Shopping Bags can also be found on roads.
-Teapots are now in the Tools category.

I think that’s all. I’ll let you know if I missed something. :stuck_out_tongue: