Errors in English strings

Thanks for pointing that out. I am still thinking that without an english description people will see it as a localization mistake, but perhaps that’s just me.

While reviewing the Italian translation I have found other german strings as well (the first one only is translated in Italian) are these intended too and should I leave them as is? (https://imgur.com/cblLf46)[/quote]

No, it’s pretty common that folks mistake this and the Jacqueshammmer for translation issues. :-/

Those are the functions of the Flammenschwert. In order, roughly translated into english should you want to translate 'em, they’re:
Light the flame.
What do you want to do? (use menu)
Use as a knife.
Do nothing.
The blade of your sword burns!
Your flamingsword (literally, that’s what it means) has no more gasoline.
The fire on your sword blade burns brightly!
Your flamingsword is running out of gasoline!
Extinguish the flame. (back in the menu, for the lit sword)
Light a fire.
The flame on your sword goes out.

I am aware that the Flammenschwert and some other texts are intentionally held in German in the English locale, but I never really understood why you do this. It seems silly and if it was intended as a joke, it is not really funny either. It is just irritating.

Jacqueshammer was a joke item IIRC. Flammenschwert was looking for a niche and being (over)fond of German.

Some plural forms of items have been messed up:

metal fragmentss
bag glovess
bag sockss
paper arm guardss
motorcycle pantss
motorcycle bootss
sewagass
stimgass
broken animatoric foxs
broken animatoric bunnys
broken animatoric sheeps
broken animatoric wolfs
animatoric foxs
animatoric bunnys
animatoric sheeps
animatoric wolfs
ski mask (open)s

Here plural and singular has been switched:

This book has unread chapter.
This book has unread chapters.

Edit: More mistakes:
Plural has been written as singular:

Dual Nail Turret
Nail Turret
Dual SMG Turret
SMG Turret
Scorpion Turret
Rotary Spear Turret
Slingshot Cannon
Avalanche Turret
Gatling Gun Turret
Machine Gun Turret
Splintergun Turret

Edit 2:
Not exactly an error, but I consider this to be bad practice:

is frostnipped and has gone numb.
is frostbitten! Its tissues are frozen from the cold!
is starting to feel the damage cold has wrought.
is blistering from the intense heat.

The problem here is that this string forces the variable string to the beginning of the string. Please change these strings so they become a former format string (with “%s” and stuff).

I’d like to fix these myself, but I have no idea how…

Nº 4672:

H&K 416A5 [i](singular)[/i] / H&K [i](plural)[/i]

Nº 4761:

...and a small pump attached to the side allows for repressurization, though this process [b][u]takes takes[/u][/b] a few minutes.

Nº 4861:

Civilian version of the SVS-24. It has a modified [b][u]reciever[/u][/b] and...

Nº 4903:

Automated Machine Gun Turret [i](singular)[/i] / Machine Gun Turrets [i](plural)[/i]

Nº 5003:

pickerel [i](singular)[/i] / whitefish [i](plural)[/i]

Nº 5970:

This is a katana with a nozzle just behind [b][u]the the[/u][/b] cutting edge...

Nº 5986:

Excalibur can eat [b][u]it's[/u][/b] heart out.

Nº 6262:

electronic handcuffs [i](singular)[/i] / electronic handcuffss [i](plural)[/i]

Thanks for reporting, fixes inbound as https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/11371 and https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/11374

Meh, now most animatoric strings are wrong again.

They were correct for a short time in Transifex, now they are incorrect again. :frowning:

The string “blue” is used a couple of times with different meanings, which will fail as soon you must translate it and your language has different words for both senses (pretty likely).

The first sense is “color” and is used for instance in the map legend (help screen, key 5).
The second sense is “to be sad” and is used in NPC talk.

Those two different senses must be disambiguated, either by using the context functioniality of gettext or by using a different word for “sad” (and hope that it does not collide with anything else).

And I spotted a missing string, it is “You forage through %s.” and is found in iexamine.cpp.

EDIT:

More missing strings:

[ul][]In the vehicle menu, while installing something the type of charges (“battery”, “muscle”, etc.) is missing translation
[
]“Watch the last moments of your life…?”[/ul]

EDIT 2:
The profession in the last tab of the character creation menu is not translated.

I’m in the middle of addressing these right now, and unfortunately there is a bugfix that required changing a string, so I’m going to push those changes, generate a new .pot, and we can hopefully get the translations to 100% soon, then kick off this release.

Sound good?

Nº 4595:

A vehicle frame made of bone. It's coated in a thick layer of ooze, particularly at the bindings that hold it [b][u]togather[/u][/b].

Nº 4611:

[b][u]An[/u][/b] large engine and power system made to align with...

Nº 5197:

RM298 turret [i](singular)[/i] / RM298 HMG [i](plural)[/i]

Nº 5222:

[b][u]TThis[/u][/b] weapon is an... odd combination of blob and human ingenuity. A constructed skeleton made of shaped bones, held together by a living blob; [b][u]Which[/u][/b], when fed...

Nº 5260:

It's capabilities are limited by its prodigious power requirements however; and its large size necessitates a specially made turret mount be installed first.

Nº 6316:

You misprogram the mininuke hack; [b][u]Pray[/u][/b].

№ 76.

9x18mm 57-N-181S [i](singular)[/i] / 9x18mm [i](plural)[/i]

№ 88.

.40 FMJ [i](singular)[/i] / .40 S&W FMJ [i](plural)[/i]

№ 703.

pistol ammo, AP [i](singular)[/i] / AP pistol ammo [i](plural)[/i]

№ 712.

handloaded rifle ammo [i](singular)[/i] / hand loaded rifle ammo [i](plural)[/i]

№ 3487.

roasted coffee beans [i](singular)[/i] / coffee beans [i](plural)[/i]

№ 3756*.

morel mushroom spores [i](singular)[/i] / _morel mushroom spores [i](plural)[/i]

№ 3765.

gelatin [i](singular)[/i] / marloss gelatin [i](plural)[/i]

№ 4533.

sealed jar of human broth [i](singular)[/i] / sealed jar of bone broth [i](plural)[/i]

№ 5386.

H&K MP5A5 EOD [i](singular)[/i] / H&K MP5 [i](plural)[/i]

№ 5396.

pipe gun: pistol ammo [i](singular)[/i] / pipe rifles: pistol ammo [i](plural)[/i]
  • _=space character
  • The mission is “Collect 30 Glass Sheets” but on the dialog, when they told you to get the sheets of glass it says 20.

• They are still some strings with “wearable flashlight” instead of the new name “head torch” (strings 17640, 17641 and 17810).