Environmental protection / Acid rains

In wich case do you use items with environmental protection? What is the purpose of them?

What is going on with acid rains?
Week ago i played with PK mod and there was acid rain, but now, i started a new game with latest experimental and looks like there is no acid rain?

Environmental protection protects against environmental stuff.

A more serious explanation, it mostly has to do with airborne stuff like fungal spores, radiation, tear gas, toxic gas, etc.

[quote=“Rot, post:2, topic:13565”]Environmental protection protects against environmental stuff.

A more serious explanation, it mostly has to do with airborne stuff like fungal spores, radiation, tear gas, toxic gas, etc.[/quote]

Spores can be shot easily, gas mask and rubber boots for protection vs specific zeds.
So, where i can find radiation to use my clean suit? ) I find it useless now…

There are places that are really rad heavy, special buildings and stuff. You just gotta find them! But trust me, there are still uses for cleansuits. Though the last time I found one of those buildings was a long time ago.

Acid Rain used to be in the base game, and I believe it originally did actual damage while you stood in it, but I’m not sure about that part.
Eventually it was removed from the base game, but PK’s Rebalance brings it back without the damage; it just causes pain, now.
Umbrellas will sometimes protect against acid rain, but the odds are usually low enough, that it isn’t worth trying. It’s best to just stay indoors when Acid Rain occurs. Theoretically, if you had clothes that totally waterproofed you (as in you could stand in the rain with no umbrella, and not get a morale penalty for being wet), acid rain might not hurt you, but I’ve never tried that.

As for radiation, I believe that the necropolis might be radiation heavy, and I know that the Toxic Waste Dumps, and Hazardous Waste Sarcophagi are. In PK’s Rebalance, smoker zeds sometimes carry radiation, though that is very uncommon lately. Bloated zeds might have radiation, Huge Boomers definitely have radiation, and Portals and other tears in reality may sometimes produce it, but I’m not sure about that one. Artifacts may give radiation, and damaged mininukes produce a ton of it. Atomic Coffee is a very good way to get irradiated, so it must be used in small doses, which shouldn’t be a problem given how strong it is. There are plenty of radiation sources, especially with PK’s Rebalance on.

God damnit, another spam bot!

[quote=“mentos046, post:5, topic:13565”][spoiler]Acid Rain used to be in the base game, and I believe it originally did actual damage while you stood in it, but I’m not sure about that part.
Eventually it was removed from the base game, but PK’s Rebalance brings it back without the damage; it just causes pain, now.
Umbrellas will sometimes protect against acid rain, but the odds are usually low enough, that it isn’t worth trying. It’s best to just stay indoors when Acid Rain occurs. Theoretically, if you had clothes that totally waterproofed you (as in you could stand in the rain with no umbrella, and not get a morale penalty for being wet), acid rain might not hurt you, but I’ve never tried that.

As for radiation, I believe that the necropolis might be radiation heavy, and I know that the Toxic Waste Dumps, and Hazardous Waste Sarcophagi are. In PK’s Rebalance, smoker zeds sometimes carry radiation, though that is very uncommon lately. Bloated zeds might have radiation, Huge Boomers definitely have radiation, and Portals and other tears in reality may sometimes produce it, but I’m not sure about that one. Artifacts may give radiation, and damaged mininukes produce a ton of it. Atomic Coffee is a very good way to get irradiated, so it must be used in small doses, which shouldn’t be a problem given how strong it is. There are plenty of radiation sources, especially with PK’s Rebalance on.[/spoiler][/quote]

More on this, if you want to really know for yourself which areas are radioactive, try finding a Film Badge and putting it on. While wearing an unwrapped Film Badge, you’ll automatically receive a message saying [glow=red,2,300]Your Film Badge turns Yellow/Red/Black[/glow] when you step into a radioactive area. Understandably, black means you’re pretty much already dead, because that’s the indicator for a fatal dose. Have fun desperately trying not to die while your health rapidly depletes over time, and you go to sleep only to never wake up.

By the way, Clean Suits aren’t perfect protection, and neither is Light Power Armour. Both of them stop protecting you once the radiation gets high enough. To go into a Sarcophagus you require a full NBC Suit or Heavy Power Armour. Of course the contents of those vaults mean you have other things to worry about if you don’t already have HPA…

[quote=“evilexecutive, post:7, topic:13565”]More on this, if you want to really know for yourself which areas are radioactive, try finding a Film Badge and putting it on. While wearing an unwrapped Film Badge, you’ll automatically receive a message saying [glow=red,2,300]Your Film Badge turns Yellow/Red/Black[/glow] when you step into a radioactive area. Understandably, black means you’re pretty much already dead, because that’s the indicator for a fatal dose. Have fun desperately trying not to die while your health rapidly depletes over time, and you go to sleep only to never wake up.

By the way, Clean Suits aren’t perfect protection, and neither is Light Power Armour. Both of them stop protecting you once the radiation gets high enough. To go into a Sarcophagus you require a full NBC Suit or Heavy Power Armour. Of course the contents of those vaults mean you have other things to worry about if you don’t already have HPA…[/quote]

Cool. I was wondering how exactly the radiation badges worked. I never used them because, since the item description tells the current color, I thought you had to check the inventory periodically to see if the square you were standing on was irradiated.

Should I go back and add a spoiler tag my initial post here? I didn’t think about that.

Are you talking about me? I assure you, I’m human. Wolfie is just fine.

Are you talking about me? I assure you, I’m human. Wolfie is just fine.[/quote]

Your foster parents are dead.

Heh. He was referring to some spam posts that have since been deleted - they were in German, oddly enough.

btw, my badge is currently red, and i notice this only after my stats decreased.
and the badge is always red, because my body is radioactive, not the ground )

in my mod, there are many ways to reduce rads.

suits do well
prussian blues and the other ones are more common
all clay reduces rads, and boiled clay is a thing. clay is infinite
’aquarium fertilizer’ reduces rads greatly
gummy vitamins reduce rads
royal jelly reduces rads.

what gives rads? well …

• many zeds give small amounts of radiation per strike.
  • some fungus and triffids and mutants do too.
    the exact nature of this radiation is thus: 1/10 chance per 6 seconds, with an average of 18 seconds for EG mons and 150 sec for Endgame mons. thats 3-25 10℅ chances per hit with a max of ten hits counted at once. increased intensity means -1 chance per tick, i.e. 1/9 or 1/8, etc per tick instead of 1/10
    REALLY radded mons have a 1/5 chance to do 3-8 rads per tick.
  • poison has a flat chance, moderate amount
  • certain items have it on use.
  • some mons have it as a gas emission i.e. they cause environmental radiation and ‘salt the earth’. this has to be carefully balanced though. its always a gas emission.
  • craters are made more common
  • a few new structures have specific locations or the whole thing irridated

afa acid rain:

i want to make it cause degreed pain. but its hardcode. i also wish standing by trees or w.e. reducee your chance to take pain. i also wish that any critter fearing pain would demoralize in acid rain

[quote=“ynemo, post:10, topic:13565”]btw, my badge is currently red, and i notice this only after my stats decreased.
and the badge is always red, because my body is radioactive, not the ground )[/quote]
your body will naturally decrease its rad count. you will naturally lose them over time.

the rad badge will not. it will stay whatever rad it is at and will continue to count up. thus old badges must be discarded

Yep, this is another fun point. Early game the Film Badges are only a simple measure to know if you step into a radioactive area, but they’re horribly imprecise and get even less accurate if you use them. The best thing about them is that they’re fairly easy to obtain. Scientist Corpses, Labs, Zombie Scientists, all frequently drop Film Badges. There’s no reason not to have one on your lappels, so it’s pretty useful to get early on. Realistically you only need to worry about radiation if you wander into an area that is pretty bad for Rads, but sometimes there’s just areas out there that have radiation in them that you won’t know about unless you have said film badge.

For going into high-risk areas, I would recommend waiting until you’re a higher level. Get a UPS, and a Geiger Counter. Attach a UPS Converter to the Geiger Counter and just wear it on your hip while active. It’ll make noises the moment you’re exposed, so you can very precisely weave in and out of radioactive areas. And plus a high-level cyborg can power it off your own bionics using the UPS Bionic and a Tortion Ratchet.

wow, how can i wear something specific on my hip? )

'W’ear the Geiger Counter, it simply fits on your belt.

I have leather belt, and geager counter without mods (no ups), and it doesn’t work