Dynamic vs Static spawns

Which do you prefer?

Static all the way… I am noisy :stuck_out_tongue:

Being an old player I prefer dynamic you know roots and all plus I find it more of a challenge

Dynamic, definitely. I personally just don’t feel right if I can completely “clear” a town, and the fact that I don’t have to worry about giant worms suddenly slaying my character as he is running to the town at the start of the game makes things even better.

Same, I enjoy the danger of being noisy.

Where as in Static all I have to do is find a gun, or car, and shoot/run over everything that moves.

I prefer static due to my more nomadic style. Cara-manning it across the devastated land, touting a sword, bow, and enough explosives to level a small town, staring down a horde of zombies and ripping them to shreds in gory battle.

Also works well if you replace zombie with triffid and explosives with molotovs.

Dynamic. Just enough loot time to get a few good things, then it’s ON for the rest of it. Static, by comparison, is scrimp and scrounge for every little bit of gear, then by the time you’re actually dangerous…there’s nothing left to fight.

Besides, just about every non-town area is dynamic-spawning-only anyway, so why make the towns different?

Static all the way. It just has so much more potential for tactical play.

Dynamic is all about keeping the noise down. If you find a silent weapon, you’re basically sorted for good. Combat is a pointless endeavour, too (or at least hard to justify in the early game).

By contrast, in static, combat means something, and can be carried out however you like. Wanna mow stuff down in a truck? Have fun with that. Wanna snipe shit from afar? Do it! Wanna make elaborate deathtraps and lure things into it on a tricycle you built from the display racks in a shop? HAVE FUCKING FUN!

Once roaming hordes start to make an appearance there will just be no contest.

Static; I don’t like the game spawning enemies out of thin air in response to noise, it feels like a lazy mechanic. It also makes combat feel largely pointless. That being said, even with static spawn on, everything in the game except for the zombies still uses the dynamic spawn system, so it’s the same game outside of town regardless.

I would actually prefer a spawn system that both keeps me on my toes and doesn’t simply generate enemies out of thin air whenever I make a sound. I like the towns being stocked with zombies from the beginning of the game, though, it adds a major challenge and requires strategy to deal with.

Static with everything being static and with roaming mobs would be heaven. Dynamic feels pointless, but to each his/her own.

Static for many of the reasons already posted. It feels more realistic, giving you a tactical option instead of ‘OHGOD9:30AMISCOMINGLOOTLOOTLOOTFASTER’ then pegging it out of town. Also attracting a horde out of fucking hammerspace because a zombie smashed a window feels like a stupid asspull.

I do agree roaming mobs would be nice though. Someone recommended a ‘zombie swarm’ kinda mechanism where every so often there would be an announcement over the radios and suchlike that a zombie swarm was approaching: Aka lock your homes, button your doors etc, zeds are back in town.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:11, topic:1263”]Static for many of the reasons already posted. It feels more realistic, giving you a tactical option instead of ‘OHGOD9:30AMISCOMINGLOOTLOOTLOOTFASTER’ then pegging it out of town. Also attracting a horde out of fucking hammerspace because a zombie smashed a window feels like a stupid asspull.

I do agree roaming mobs would be nice though. Someone recommended a ‘zombie swarm’ kinda mechanism where every so often there would be an announcement over the radios and suchlike that a zombie swarm was approaching: Aka lock your homes, button your doors etc, zeds are back in town.[/quote]

yep, devs were talking about that. also gryphon mentioned eventually removing dynamic completely as the static spawn would be ‘dynamic’ in nature.

we can only hope this comes about, i need to build walls to protect against SOMETHING!

[quote=“Nopkar, post:12, topic:1263”]yep, devs were talking about that. also gryphon mentioned eventually removing dynamic completely as the static spawn would be ‘dynamic’ in nature.

we can only hope this comes about, i need to build walls to protect against SOMETHING![/quote]
Yeah, when we get wandering zeds and having them stand back up a day or so after we kill them the first time if we don’t take precautions static spawn is gonna be the bomb.

I liked that dynamic was high pressure and difficult, and that it felt like a roguelike in that everything was unfairly stacked against you. I actually felt hunted, miserable and yet awesome and important.

I like the static is fair, and that killing actually matters because the Z wont be replaced. I like the stronger feeling of being a morrowind-style explorer.

I prefer static, because couldn’t you choose dynamic and set the starting time way before 9:30, when enemies spawn?

I prefer static mainly because i see no point in trying to survive if i cant make any real impact.

I’ve played them both for a while, and I think I enjoy dynamic more. I think static would be better if there were more long term goals and a reason to want or need to clear an area, but outside of that, the dynamic spawn always keeps the intensity up.

Plus I think there is a definite difference in difficulty: dynamic starts off slightly easy, then gets a little harder and plateaus, while static seems to start off relatively difficult before getting easier as time goes on. It’s not necessarily that one is better than the other, but they favor different playstyles, and I would like to see them both remain in the game, maybe with slight tweaks. A slightly static element to dynamic allowing you to reclaim a small area for a base, and the proposed changes to static would all be nice additions.

[quote=“mewmaster22, post:16, topic:1263”]I prefer static mainly because i see no point in trying to survive if i cant make any real impact.[/quote] you do realize you can actually clear a town in dynamic right?

Plus I think there is a definite difference in difficulty: dynamic starts off slightly easy, then gets a little harder and plateaus, while static seems to start off relatively difficult before getting easier as time goes on. It's not necessarily that one is better than the other, but they favor different playstyles, and I would like to see them both remain in the game, maybe with slight tweaks. A slightly static element to dynamic allowing you to reclaim a small area for a base, and the proposed changes to static would all be nice additions.

Well, I’m getting close to third week in game, and have an unbalanced pain-in-the-bun issue with dynamic: There are 250 mushroom people surrounding a farm, in a day or two it will be a thousand for sure. Since the farm has no defensive capabilities, and hit-and-run doesn’t pay off there is no other way than to stand my ground. My point being - if it was a statics issue, it wouldn’t change a thing.

My only real issue with dynamic spawning mode is the lack of local persistence. More zombies showing up constantly I’d be fine with, it’s the zombies teleporting in that cause issues.

I’d like to see some genuinely huge cities, with monstrous hordes (Too thick to drive through, maybe), because the small towns and villages are too easy to defeat in static mode once you’re properly equipped.
Maybe have some buildings unique to the large cities, as some loot incentive. Things like large military bunkers or a better chance of megastores.