Dynamic vs Static spawns

[quote=“vultures, post:19, topic:1263”]

Plus I think there is a definite difference in difficulty: dynamic starts off slightly easy, then gets a little harder and plateaus, while static seems to start off relatively difficult before getting easier as time goes on. It’s not necessarily that one is better than the other, but they favor different playstyles, and I would like to see them both remain in the game, maybe with slight tweaks. A slightly static element to dynamic allowing you to reclaim a small area for a base, and the proposed changes to static would all be nice additions.

Well, I’m getting close to third week in game, and have an unbalanced pain-in-the-bun issue with dynamic: There are 250 mushroom people surrounding a farm, in a day or two it will be a thousand for sure. Since the farm has no defensive capabilities, and hit-and-run doesn’t pay off there is no other way than to stand my ground. My point being - if it was a statics issue, it wouldn’t change a thing.[/quote]

Uh, fungaloids are permanently dynamic-spawn, IIRC. Same with triffids and all other non-zeds. Problem is, their spores give them a valid in-game reason to spawn in quantity.

I’ll agree that having a “Base” flag that discouraged spawns within X radius would be nice–saves me having to chase rabbits/deer/moose/squirrels out of my base (not to mention Natasha & Boris) that I left completely closed. My only real concern with roaming hordes is that I’m not sure how the player’s supposed to (successfully) defend their base.

(Not much point to base-building if an indefinite horde can come through and chase you out. Suggest adding hordes once NPCs get workable, as they seem like things that would work well together.)

[quote=“KA101, post:21, topic:1263”][quote=“vultures, post:19, topic:1263”]

Plus I think there is a definite difference in difficulty: dynamic starts off slightly easy, then gets a little harder and plateaus, while static seems to start off relatively difficult before getting easier as time goes on. It’s not necessarily that one is better than the other, but they favor different playstyles, and I would like to see them both remain in the game, maybe with slight tweaks. A slightly static element to dynamic allowing you to reclaim a small area for a base, and the proposed changes to static would all be nice additions.

Well, I’m getting close to third week in game, and have an unbalanced pain-in-the-bun issue with dynamic: There are 250 mushroom people surrounding a farm, in a day or two it will be a thousand for sure. Since the farm has no defensive capabilities, and hit-and-run doesn’t pay off there is no other way than to stand my ground. My point being - if it was a statics issue, it wouldn’t change a thing.[/quote]

Uh, fungaloids are permanently dynamic-spawn, IIRC. Same with triffids and all other non-zeds. Problem is, their spores give them a valid in-game reason to spawn in quantity.

I’ll agree that having a “Base” flag that discouraged spawns within X radius would be nice–saves me having to chase rabbits/deer/moose/squirrels out of my base (not to mention Natasha & Boris) that I left completely closed. My only real concern with roaming hordes is that I’m not sure how the player’s supposed to (successfully) defend their base.

(Not much point to base-building if an indefinite horde can come through and chase you out. Suggest adding hordes once NPCs get workable, as they seem like things that would work well together.)[/quote]

Spikemoat and traps.

Hmm. I never bothered spiking my Pits as I thought the spikes would break easily. Do Spiked Pits actually hold up without much maintenance?

Nah, they break way too easily. I’d dig a load of spikepits, then a load of normal pits beyond them.

I like static just because I don’t like the idea of enemies appearing magically. Like I’ve heard mentioned by a dev before, simulation simulation, and magically appearing enemies doesn’t speak simulation to me.

I do like static spawn for many of the reasons stated. It’s nice to not have zombies suddenly telepoting behind me or inside of buildings after I’ve cleared them completely.(Unless I happen to be fleeing in a subway, in which case every zombie that was nearby somehow followed me and exited out a different Subway tunnel exit seconds later) It would be nice to have roving mobs, however.

My most recent game is in static spawn and boring. After the initial challenge, the game is far too easy. I need more Z.

Granted, lack of Z is not the biggest reason I lack challenge.

I do have one question in this thread:
Found a nice segregated place and dug in, although it seems to attract an awful lot of predators. They kept coming solo, so during one of those hunting trips we all cherish I slew half a dozen spiders. Now I get aggressive spiders wherever I show my face.
Did I mess up their ecosystem, I mean wth? What I really want to know is - could that be a static-map feature, as I suspect that respawning venomous beasts that chase you between dirt mounds like crazy would be a little too much?

I’m playing a dynamic game at the moment and I’m finding it absurdly easy, much easier than I remember it being when I first started playing Cata. I’ve cleared five towns of their zombie spawn pool so far. The spawn pools don’t seem to be any bigger than the number of zombies I’d have to kill to clear a town in static. It feels like the only difference is that I get to select and fortify my position before I start culling zombies in dynamic.

[quote=“vultures, post:28, topic:1263”]I do have one question in this thread:
Found a nice segregated place and dug in, although it seems to attract an awful lot of predators. They kept coming solo, so during one of those hunting trips we all cherish I slew half a dozen spiders. Now I get aggressive spiders wherever I show my face.
Did I mess up their ecosystem, I mean wth? What I really want to know is - could that be a static-map feature, as I suspect that respawning venomous beasts that chase you between dirt mounds like crazy would be a little too much?[/quote]

They can smell your FEAR.
Dig a moat, man.

It felt like spider harvest time, for sure. They were chasing me - imagine a web spider on your tail wherever you go; not like - you look bruised, it’s more likely you’ll make a spidey dinner.
Maybe they just wanted to hug me?

[quote=“vultures, post:31, topic:1263”]It felt like spider harvest time, for sure. They were chasing me - imagine a web spider on your tail wherever you go; not like - you look bruised, it’s more likely you’ll make a spidey dinner.
Maybe they just wanted to hug me?[/quote]

…Yeah, that sounds just about right. It’s the fear. They want to comfort you with hugs.
But they have more appendages than you, so you get eight times the hugs.

Y’know we really should be able to kite mozzies and giant flying insects into webs as prey and offerings to our generous giant spider overlords.
I’ve honestly never known why people are so scared of spiders IRL.

I mean, would you rather have evil-demon-bastard-tier flies LIKE THIS vomiting and laying eggs in your food?

Or cute little guys like THIS eating those ugly fucks.

Oh God, Oh God, please spoiler that fly.

I think it’s cute.