DooM

no mega armor?

Don’t know what I would do with it. Or how to implement it.

Im trying to balance the power fantasy of Doom with the grimdark of CDDA. Ill likely have a ‘fragile’ fullbody armor at some point, so that any extended combat will damage it and it will get destroyed. But it should provide obscene protection before it goes.

Ill be working to fix this.

6 to 8 ‘lab’ designs and Ill be okay.

[quote=“pisskop, post:237, topic:11323”]Welp. Im a dirty liar. Kind of.

I managed to finish the doom lab, or at least an itemless prototype. I could have added the items tonight. But theres a bigger issue.

C++ is doing C++ things, and wont allow the labs to connect with my labbits. So unless you guys want to jackhammer through 2 walls per area Ive tried to join and blend, then it wont work. Though all the monsters are there in some capacity.

Here it is

Ive fixed the erranty arachnotron corpse issue, Ive added the doomlab, 0 to 1 per region, and Ive added a ‘plantation’ prototype from Kedryn, who has also done a lot of work for chesthole tileset.

-The doomlab is more or less lootable right not, and has a queen monster at the end, and a lab_finale and lab finale loot, if you can or care to get in there. It will also spawn surface doom monsters, but it shouldnt be an issue because of how isolated most labs will be.

-The plantation is infested. Its a huge farm with various vehicles and foods and goodies, such as the donated heavy plow and some neat items and a ton of storage and planting space and even some livestock. It spawns 0 to 1 time per region, and is is isolated.

-Ive added the heavy plow to the regular farm lists and added a vehicle spawn spot to my own farm.

-Ive fixed the arachnotron bit, and Ive tested its eating and such.

Heres a snippit of the boss room. IF you manage to kill the queen you would gain loot, normally, but in this case you gain the right to say you did.

[/quote]

The deal is, Im going to design a whole custom lab.
That is honestly sounding like more work than it is, considering the standard right now is a mostly empty metal lab.

Im going to design 3 to 4 ‘themed tiles’ per id, and 2-4 more ids.

Here is the list I have or will make right now. Please feel free to add to it, especially if it fits the theme. Please keep in mind that if I make them uberspecific they lose replayabiity.

-Comm room (2 kinds)
-Barracks (2 kinds)
-Scientist bording (1-2 kinds)
-Prisoner Room (for humans)
-Lab room (for captured critters)
-Teleporter room
-Armory
-Big open lab
-Several smaller labs (4-5 kinds for reusibility)
-Some mimics of the labs we have right now already.

Also, here is a tileset for the current critters of my mods, to include the doom ones.

This hopefully helps people who dont like looking at a red ‘k’ when fighting.

[quote=“Zombies-R-Us, post:233, topic:11323”]“Zombies are red, zombies are blue, if you open up GIMP and mess with the hue”

Hey guys. I made a makeshift tileset for this mod using the MShock Modded one. Here’s the download link, and below is an ingame example and a picture of all the added tiles. I say added but really most were just recolors and messing with the hue a bit, or adding a detail here and there. Sorry about the quality, I have 0 artistic skill or talent, but it looks passable I think. I’ve tested it and haven’t found any problems, but I’m not sure if I trust the tool I used that was last updated in May, so some obscure stuff may have been changed for the worse. Keep an eye out and let me know if anything is broken compared to the original MShock Modded tileset.

Edit: Just a heads up for PK: dying arachnotrons and soul cubes cause a debug message to pop about an undefined item. I assume their corpses either aren’t defined, or I’m using the wrong version of the mod (I get it through launcher)

[/quote]

Did some training and slight tweaking of the revenants and their rockets.

In short, Ive tweaked down the explosion some. It wasnt terribly lethal to a skill dancer before, but now it looks less omgish.

So, what you do, when you see the rocket coming, is shoot it if you care to. If you dont, then run to a place where you are less exposed to attack. To trigger it, much like the manhacks, you let it get close to you. Then, you run away from it. With only leather on I escaped from it without incident. Though, I warn you, Ive put some shrapnel into it. This will catch people eventually, and if you dont know shrapnel is lethal to anything it can pierce. It will break limbs and take off heads.

Ive done slight nerfing to the blunt armor of the revenant. all in preperation.

Ive done some more doomlab stuff. now, all that is theoretically left is the barracks and the armory, and the prisons and the redacted areas. Those are going to be easy enough, since I wont need to make 8 or 10 versions of those, just 1 or 3.

then I add items to it and perhaps even make this megaarmor suit. Im thinking a jumpsuit kind of item, very bulky and covering most the body. It will be unrepairable and provide a lot of enviornmental prot and some regular armor too. It will likely be wearable under/over regular clothing, but.

Hunh, I went to find Blaze’s version of the archvile to use as a queen monster and I couldnt find it?

well, Im going to add 2 versions of archviles, a reviver and a regular fire pewpew one.

Popping in to say Ive made the flame attack for the Archviles.

This is it, featured here. They are fairly accurate with it, and you will have 1 turn to get away from it before it begins its… ‘phase’.

It will, depending on the monster, spew flames forth in a 3x3 centered on where it landed. The flames have a chance to miss you, and you can theoretically stand right next to them 1 tile away and not get hurt by it. But you could also get hurt.

I havent combat tested it yet, but if anything I will likely make it even stronger than it is now.

^^ see here, the monster scored a direct hit on me, and even caused blood giblies. I was running, as a means of kiting it to test the effect. It is not always covering so much fo the 3x3 area, its completely random.

the base damage of the flame attack is 3, and its pierce value is 200. So even in power armor you will receive minor damage.

Here is the doomlab

Its packaged with the PRM. Ive nerfed revenant rockets a little, Ive removed the mandatory imp spawn so now many less of them spawn, and Ive increased the cost to spawn high end doom monsters. Ive also nulled the cost of low end monsters.

this means less monsters per capita, but a more natural spawn pattern; akin to any of the other monster factions though with less population. I may well buff them to higher population settings to encourage more spawnings.

Ive added a new lab group to spawn into the doomlabs, zombies, blobs, and robots that will fight each other and the demons. I plan to add more horrors too. I initially added them to regular labs, but then remembered that a lot of people like to do lab starts. Ill do something with them, but not what I added. Itd be a little unfair without proper testing first.

Ive added what I think is a bit of believable variety in the labs, for items, but no endstage loot. Loot is all over the place, and the lower you go the more you can expect to find.

I added archdemon to the game, who is a queen monster (the demons stop spaawning if it dies),
The archdemon can summon monsters to its side to fight for it, and is itself largely incapable of attack. It has gained a … … surprise, to help the situation in which it finds itself.

Ive added archviles to the game. 2 versions, 1 weaker and 1 stronger and a queen tier. They revive and upgrade like a zombie lord would, and can use a flame attack. You have 1 turn to move away from the flames.

Ive added the code for revivable demons, but without a home theyre just code. I do have a plan for them though.

I didnt add the megaarmor suit like I planned to… Will do, I swear it. But I hope you understand that doom in cdda is about dying horribly as much as a power fantasy. Properly kitted out it can be that power fantasy, but with suboptimal gear its about the struggle of trying to live.

can we get some of the DOOM weapons and armor?

I just wanted to say it’d be cool if you added some stuff from the doom rougelike.

k

Got the Doomrl. How do make ascii graphics instead of tileset?

Ive played it before, no suprises, I prefered techies with a shotgun and a rocket.

Ive got to finish testing on these birds in the mod, then I pinkie promise Ill do a jumpsuit/megaarmor thing. And some guns. For the bfg, Ive got the idea to

Make it a bouncing explosion powered by plasma. Can you imagine a grenade epicentered at each monster exploding simulantiously? uunnnhhhh, so good

other guns? welll, Im not going to do all of them, since many ingame guns suffice. No brutaldoom guns or other mod guns either, unless theres a good reason for them. Reasons like OP, fun, and unique are mehish. A big part of this mod is trying to balance the razorsedge grimdark of cdda with the power fantasy of doom.
I know that theres a division about if cdda should be all pain and survival or power fantasy, and I (hope I) have made it both. fun guns and armors and drugs and hard combat. Ascension to godhood is useless without a challenge to measure it by.

[spoiler=guns?]
-plasma gun. A high capacity automatic plasma gun
-Revenant rockets. Already in. Try butchering a revenant sometime.
-3 round rocket launcher? as in 3 at a time, 6 total
-a large capacity shotgun? with better range and more dispersion to make up for that. shame we can have multipellet shotgun bullets
-chaingun? but why? chaingun, doom3 weak machinegun chaingun.
-supershotgun, ofc, dont know if I can get it to fire both rounds at once, like a charged shot or something though.

[spoiler]

Just installed the mod and I’m excited to see whats in store! I’m getting this error message at start-up

[tt]DEBUG: Error loading data from json: data/mods//Doom_Mod/pk_critter_doom.json: line 32:9: tried to start array, but found ‘{’, not ‘[’
“death_function”:[“Normal”],
“special_attacks”:[[LUNGE", 40],
{
^
“type” : “leap”,
“cooldown” : 25,[/tt]

Is this a fatal error? Is the mod still going to work despite this?

I’ve roamed around the world a bit (seen one city in its entirety, explored a good deal of wilderness) and I haven’t seen any demons or demonic structures. How common are demons in this mod, and do they only spawn near structures?

Yea, it appears that theyve changed the structure of the special attack?

It shouldnt be fatal, but I need to fix it up.

[quote=“pisskop, post:346, topic:11323”]idgi

Ive updated to the latest and my version runs fine.

Here it is again, this is my version im literally playing on the latest experimental version right now with.

I started on these. Suprised at how op survivor gear is; I usually blacklist them so theyre newish to me all the time I see them.
fun story, I made an undersuit that paled in comparison to survivor crap and I thought it was fair until I compared them side to side.

omg, its a doomguy scenerio

-> I give into you, Doom Underlayer suit and Doom exoskeletal powered armor!

These are added to all spawns where the green armor can spawn, and provide various benefits (i hope) over using the default stuff. note that the powered armor is technically an artifact that activates on wearing, and that the powered version and unpowered version are two different artifacts with different powers (activated one is better). The underlay is a bodysuit that protects from radiation. Like a wetsuit, if you will. But spacier.

This update also includes Doomguy starting scenerio Its been tested to work, so far as spawns go. You may actually get a static npc to spawn with you if you have them on, but you start with a full set of doom armor, 40 shells, 30 .45 bullets, a knife, a holster and drop leg pouches, a flashlight, a medkit, berserker stims, and 2 guns for the ammo to fit into. The guns are standin. Maybe the pistol isnt, idk if I should be making a doompistol?

You can start in any one of the doom structures, but by default its the prison of the Hell Citadel. You may have to regen the world a few times if it doesnt spark.

The doomguy start is called “the last marine” and the profession can be taken alone without the doom_X start, but cost 10 points for the guns and skills (2 guns, 1 shotgun, 1 dodge, 1 firstaid) and traits (psycho, Terrifying).

Speaking of, Ive buffed the number of allowed hell_X structures in an effort to make them spawn. How occurrences work is, it seems, that each max occurrence allows a ‘chance’ for the item to spawn. Each guaranteed is, well, guaranteed to produce one.

Ive done each start for doomguy.

All of them are doable. with the possible exception of doomlabs, since you may not be able to escape if you lack an explosive or a labcard. you know, like normal lab starts.

So I gotta tweak some of the drops of critters to allow more lab card or maybe ensure an explosive can spawn? idk. But Ive done doomlab a few times now, its dicey to get out. the hell castle is too, to be frank.

Ive been bugtesting the doomlab while there. Treadmills in changing rooms, pinball machine outside the bathrooms, its a madhouse i say!

But, for all that, the doomlab is most easily the most bang for your buck. Robots, turrets, demons, maybe ants, and blobs/zombies. A whole mess of things to murder.

And, Ive loosened up on early game spawning for mid-high tier doom monsters. Its a balancing act, it is. If I allow everything to spawn early early game is too hard for most survivors. If I dont then you cant find a challenge if you are a well equipped survivor.

[quote=“pisskop, post:98, topic:11486”]Ive done each start for doomguy.

All of them are doable. with the possible exception of doomlabs, since you may not be able to escape if you lack an explosive or a labcard. you know, like normal lab starts.

So I gotta tweak some of the drops of critters to allow more lab card or maybe ensure an explosive can spawn? idk. But Ive done doomlab a few times now, its dicey to get out. the hell castle is too, to be frank.

Ive been bugtesting the doomlab while there. Treadmills in changing rooms, pinball machine outside the bathrooms, its a madhouse i say!

But, for all that, the doomlab is most easily the most bang for your buck. Robots, turrets, demons, maybe ants, and blobs/zombies. A whole mess of things to murder.

And, Ive loosened up on early game spawning for mid-high tier doom monsters. Its a balancing act, it is. If I allow everything to spawn early early game is too hard for most survivors. If I dont then you cant find a challenge if you are a well equipped survivor.[/quote]

If you want to ensure the player can escape a lab scenario, you could consider dropping the shotgun in favor of spawning the Doomguy with some sort of explosive device that could help him escape. He only usually starts the games with a handgun anyhow, and it wouldn’t be beyond the realm of reason for a space marine to bring something that goes boom with him.

Well, ive upped the spawning of explosives in the crates on the ground floor for the afflicted starts. there is a 40% chance of being locked in a doomlab. 2/5 of the starts are locked.

I plan to override those guns with more doomy guns, but for now the shotgun allows you not to get murderated by imps swarming over you.

• I can remove the shotgun depending how how well the doomy one plays.

Ive allowed the mid tier demons to spawn on game start, but its a delicate balance, as Ive mentioned before.

Ive fixed the labs ups some, and Im adding things to the game such as a swat shield. Its all

here

Plus fixed whatever the new linter is on about.