Do we need a charging station?

I was thinking if we need a charging station to recharge those electric vehicle, and if it’s possible, we can even use it to recharge our CBM enegry or weapons?

also, do we need a junkyard too? for search some useful stuff like electronic wastes or something?

Do you mean in a building? If so, that would require restoring the grid, very unlikely. If not then elaborate.

Uh…generators? Those might be useful.

Other than that, we have a tool-recharging vehicle part. You can also use jumper cables to power one vehicle via a second.

I don’t see any problems with someone designing and adding one of those solar-auxiliary powered electric car recharger stations in the game.

But wouldn’t that require booting up the grid?

If it had solars as a backup, the only infrastructure to restart or repair would be the backup systems.

Giving a battery to a vehicle and running the engine for a night works just fine, I see no need in charging stations. Also where are you even going to get electricity for one?

There are a fair number of “solar” charging stations nowadays that either draw directly into the cars or into a battery bank, and only draw from the grid if they have more demand than they can handle (or don’t draw from the grid at all). They tend to look something like this:

Yes, that could be a neat addition. We’ve had funnels go from being trap-only to functioning via vehicle part and terrain-trap, so taking solar panels from being a vehicle part to working as furniture or terrain could be feasible.

That’s a good idea, what would they charge specifically?

The big problems (there are at least 2) are that the furniture or terrain created needs some way to keep track of the stored energy and update that over time (including when leaving and reentering the reality bubble, but this problem is mostly solved), and the interaction between the vehicle and the charger. The second one can probably be adapted from the gas pump code, but there’s definitely bound to be problems involved.

Charging stations would be mostly useless.
First of all, if you prefer having stationary base made as a vehicle then you already have some sort of power generating system. If it’s engines with alternators then there is no reason for you to stay at a charging station and parasite on it. If it’s solar panels it makes sense to use charging station as a huge free solar farm but in this case you still bound to one location and actually no real reason to have a vehicle base after all when you can just directly live at a charging station.
Second, if you actually have a mobile base then most of your power is generated by alternators anyway which leads us to third problem which is…
There is no such energy consumer which requires a lot of power in a small period of time. Therefore there is no reason to use charging stations as an emergency power generator as well.
If you want to go green - you install solar panels onto your vehicle. Charging stations in this sense are just free source of solar panels.
So I request at least one good reason to have charging stations. “Because game needs more content” is not a good reason, game needs more useful content, not just content, otherwise you end up having “Clothing” and “Food” categories in craft menu cluttered up with useless stuff.

Hmm. I would argue the main use for a large STATIONARY charging station, as opposed to a potentially-portable generator, would be if it charge vehicles, and do so with less hassle than jumper cables.

Compared to putting solars on the vehicle itself, this would be dubious unless the station had some degree of power storage and the ability to output charge faster than the panels can take it in. From a realism perspective, it might be a bit dubious, however…

From a gameplay perspective, I can see this having one big benefit: it could be used as a way to make electric scooters and other small electric vehicles, the ones without panels (and without the space for a sustainable number of panels), more viable as-is.

As it is, non-solar electric vehicles are worthless as-is because there is no efficient way to charge them. Adding a charging station could be useful by being a “flavor” item that compliments an existing flavor item, and combined serve a valid gameplay niche.

Another niche would be a way to have power to a vehicle when in progress to being built. Once a dethmobile is made and fully charge, they can leave the station and may return for fast emergency recharge.

Very interesting. I wouldn’t think that a stationary charging station would be a step too far.
Something like a ratio of 10:6:1 Petrol/Diesel/Solar for the average petrol station?
I’d say yes, as long as we can disassemble the charging station for delicious solar panels.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:12, topic:10620”]Charging stations would be mostly useless.
First of all, if you prefer having stationary base made as a vehicle then you already have some sort of power generating system. If it’s engines with alternators then there is no reason for you to stay at a charging station and parasite on it. If it’s solar panels it makes sense to use charging station as a huge free solar farm but in this case you still bound to one location and actually no real reason to have a vehicle base after all when you can just directly live at a charging station.
Second, if you actually have a mobile base then most of your power is generated by alternators anyway which leads us to third problem which is…
There is no such energy consumer which requires a lot of power in a small period of time. Therefore there is no reason to use charging stations as an emergency power generator as well.
If you want to go green - you install solar panels onto your vehicle. Charging stations in this sense are just free source of solar panels.
So I request at least one good reason to have charging stations. “Because game needs more content” is not a good reason, game needs more useful content, not just content, otherwise you end up having “Clothing” and “Food” categories in craft menu cluttered up with useless stuff.[/quote]

1. Smaller electric vehicles that don’t necessarily have the ability to charge sustainably on their own.
  2. It gives a reliable place you can disassemble to get solar panels/batteries for your own use.
  3. It gives us a good place to eventually expand into a “Green charging station”, or something similar, and stick hydrogen car stuff there too.
  4. It gives a source of electricity the player might be able to tap into with a little bit of work.
  5. The background code work would be a lot of the same stuff needed for bridging a bit more of the vehicle/furniture gap, and for getting other things standardized.
  6. It’s actually really realistic to have them, and becoming more so as technology advances.

Probably a bit high on the diesel end, most places around where I live tend to be more around 8:2 for the gas to diesel ratio. I’d probably set the final ratio somewhere around 20:5:1 for Gas:Diesel:Solar.

Exactly what I said would be the big use for charging stations. <3

The small electric vehicles are useless flavor things, the charging station SEEMS like it would be a useless flavor thing…but by their powers combined, they are Captain Planet become useful.

Soo how are the charging stations powered? internal battery? if so wouldn’t most rather rip out the battery and stick it in there vehicle directly…

Do you even solar? o3o

It would would need some means of storing up power in a way that it can have faster charge rates than just slapping the panels on the vehicle.

solar to op…