Difficult starts

I am a very unlucky person when it comes to random number generators in general, so missing SDogs so often could really just be an unlucky streak, and yeah I did have a world where I opened the door to the shelter to find that there was a military truck, a smg turret and a anti-material rifle turret on the street next to the door I opened. Which is really cool tbh, I last played in late december last year and I like that there is still a bunch of progress being made. The problem so far is that ever since I very first played in march '13 that the game has always suffered a really messed up difficulty curve and it apparently has only gotten worse with the addition of more content. And I’m not opposed to difficulty at all. but when you stack a naturally hard game with a world gen and spawn system that is just as random it kinda sets up things up for a “you will win it all or lose it all” scenario very very quickly.

And you’re right, fleetfooted/quick isn’t necessary for anything, but if you take them both and then get parkour expert you can out run just about everything, even mi-go, if you run through a forest and force them to slow down on the young trees and shrubs.

hm yes with obstacles you can run away from them migos. Well the randomness can realy easily wreak your day early on . Later i can handle pretty much everythign safe a shot to the head by a friendly NPC or an evil turret arround the corner (for some reason i never wear power armor … i don t like it). Your complain is valid i guess… but i am sure that all this will improve over time . So in my dreams i see hard start hard mid and endgame which are all at the same time fair <3.
Just how could we improve the random system to not Murder you like that on the get go… maybe one could set a min range to the shelter for things like turrets to spawn and set rarer prerequisits for migos to spawn (like a rift in reality or a portal or something.

Yes I agree 110%. There should be a minimum “do not spawn range” for roadblocks and turrets from starting shelters, I don’t think the range should take effect with the special challenge starts that start you in places other than the starting shelter though, as that would cheapen the challenge. And yeah mi-go and the other eldritch horrors should be tied to spawning at portals for at least the first 7 days before they are allowed to spawn normally.

Yeah, they REALLY need to make a system to make certain mobs more rare… For example, though zombies and skeletons are more rare than normal zeds, zombie dogs ([size=8pt]those mother fuckers[/size]) are more rare than skeletal dogs ([size=8pt]those son of a bitches[/size]…)

though zombies and skeletons are more rare than normal zed

What’s the problem with that?
The system to make certain mobs more rare is already in place, if you feel like a certain mob is too common, make an issue on github and perhaps someone will change it.

Also, as far as I remember, mi-gos spawn only nearby ‘corpse specials’.(I think even only the scientist, not sure about that one though.)

One time, I also had a roadblock spawn right next to the shelter. I opened the door, got injured. I then went out of the shelter the other side, to escape. Later that day I got mauled to death by a bear, so that’s that.

I also recommend starting with static NPCs; if they have a gun, they can easily dispatch even jabberwockies.

[quote=“Snaaty, post:25, topic:7285”]

though zombies and skeletons are more rare than normal zed

What’s the problem with that?
The system to make certain mobs more rare is already in place, if you feel like a certain mob is too common, make an issue on github and perhaps someone will change it.

Also, as far as I remember, mi-gos spawn only nearby ‘corpse specials’.(I think even only the scientist, not sure about that one though.)

One time, I also had a roadblock spawn right next to the shelter. I opened the door, got injured. I then went out of the shelter the other side, to escape. Later that day I got mauled to death by a bear, so that’s that.

I also recommend starting with static NPCs; if they have a gun, they can easily dispatch even jabberwockies.[/quote]

Mi-gos can spawn near either sci- or mil-corpses, and sure, feel free to make an issue that skeletal dogs are more common than is fun/worthwhile/“realistic”, etc. We can downtune their spawns fairly easily.

Since this conversation has turned into dogs, I thought I’d just add here because I was confused and frustrated difficulty-wise about this:

My character, who has 5 melee skill and like 2 or 3 cutting, piercing, and bashing skill, has missed a regular dog attacking me upwards of 30 times now (edit: 0 torso encumbrance too) . He’s using a survival knife (no - to hit) with eskrima melee style, as well. I don’t remember having this problem until very very recent experimental versions. Is something very strange happening, or are dogs acrobats? The same sort of thing happened with a black rat earlier by my recollection, and I’m wondering if anyone else is seeing that.

[quote=“Nubsawce, post:27, topic:7285”]Since this conversation has turned into dogs, I thought I’d just add here because I was confused and frustrated difficulty-wise about this:

My character, who has 5 melee skill and like 2 or 3 cutting, piercing, and bashing skill, has missed a regular dog attacking me upwards of 30 times now (edit: 0 torso encumbrance too) . He’s using a survival knife (no - to hit) with eskrima melee style, as well. I don’t remember having this problem until very very recent experimental versions. Is something very strange happening, or are dogs acrobats? The same sort of thing happened with a black rat earlier by my recollection, and I’m wondering if anyone else is seeing that.[/quote]

Whats your dex at?
Im playing with the latest experimental and im taking out skelly dogs fine with an alumininum baseball bat on day 2, I think I have 3 melee, 3 bashing, 1 torso enc and 10 dex.

My dex is 10 (and it’s not been drained by anything either). Very very strange. I’m not seeing anything in my stats that should affect this. Oh hey, my fighting style is set to Eskrima Bashing when I’m using a knife. Interesting. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Hmm, probably not, but perhaps the melee weapon style in general has something strange going on. I don’t know what else would be different. The weapon itself? But I was hitting zombies just fine with it, so that doesn’t seem quite right either.

Edit: Another really common thing is that I see I’m swinging “wildly” about 65% of the time, maybe 70%. I think I’m a few versions back from the truly most recent experimental build, but not more than 4 days back at worst. I can’t quite recall.

As a side note. I swung another 25-30 times at the dog and it seems that I literally am unable to hit it. It might kill me eventually at this rate.

Edit 2: Okay, I am actually literally unable to hit anything. I have swung at a rattlesnake, raccoon, dogs, a giant fly, couldn’t find any more zombies but seriously something crazy is happening. I’m going to assume this is some bizarre anomaly and download the newest version. HOLD ON! I just hit a fungaloid and killed it. Maybe wildlife had a crazy dodge value or something. Either way I’m still going to eliminate variables here and download a new version.

It would probably help to upload a save so the devs can pinpoint the bug and prevent it from happening in newer versions.

There was a bug in a very recent experimental that made everything have infinite dodge after you saved and loaded near them. If you move to a current experimental it will go away.