Create Your Own Melee Weapon

I wish there was a way to make particular weapons only wieldable with the HUGE/Freakishly Huge mutation…

Manhole cover shield, parking meter club, not needing bipods; etc.

Some unrelated weapon ideas:

A thrown weapon that mixes zombie pheromone, human blood and cocaine to make the undead aggro whatever’s in its radius when it goes off. Even each other.

Police battering rams and their primitive counterparts. Heavy, inaccurate and slow but with enough smashing power to break down anything short of a bank vault.

The engine block chain would be hilarious. I would definitely get 70 strength just to easily lug that thing around.

Power Fist

item (goes in tools json file):

{
“id”: “power_fist”,
“type”: “TOOL”,
“symbol”: “#”,
“color”: “light_gray”,
“name”: “power fist (off)”,
“name_plural”: “power fists (off)”,
“description”: “This is an experimental weapon made from steel and high-quality electronic components and sensors, designed to significantly increase the power and accuracy of unarmed attacks.”,
“price”: 150000,
“material”: [“steel”],
“weight”: 2300,
“volume”: 4,
“bashing”: 10,
“to_hit”: 0,
“max_charges”: 200,
“initial_charges”: 200,
“charges_per_use”: 1,
“turns_per_charge”: 0,
“ammo”: “battery”,
“revert_to”: “null”,
“use_action”: {
“type”: “transform”,
“msg”: “You turn the power fist on.”,
“target”: “power_fist_on”,
“active”: true,
“need_charges”: 1,
“need_charges_msg”: “The power fist’s batteries are dead.”
}
},
{
“id”: “power_fist_on”,
“symbol”: “#”,
“name”: “power fist (on)”,
“name_plural”: “power fists (on)”,
“description”: “This is an experimental weapon made from steel and high-quality electronic components and sensors, designed to significantly increase the power and accuracy of unarmed attacks.”,
“price”: 150000,
“flags” : [“UNARMED_WEAPON”, “DURABLE_MELEE”],
“weight”: 1300,
“volume”: 4,
“bashing”: 24,
“to_hit”: 3,
“charges_per_use”: 0,
“turns_per_charge”: 2,
“revert_to”: “power_fist”,
“msg”: “You turn the power fist off.”,
“target”: “power_fist”
}
},

basic recipe (goes in weapon recipes):

{
“type” : “recipe”,
“result”: “power_fist”,
“category”: “CC_WEAPON”,
“subcategory”: “CSC_WEAPON_BASHING”,
“skill_used”: “electronics”,
“skills_required”: [ “electronics”, 5 ],
“difficulty”: 7,
“time”: 150000,
“reversible”: false,
“autolearn”: false,
“book_learn”: [[ “advanced_electronics”, 3 ] , [ “textbook_electronics”, 3 ] , [ “textbook_anarch”, 4 ]],
“qualities”:[
{“id”:“SAW_M_FINE”,“level”:1,“amount”:1},
{“id”:“SCREW”,“level”:1,“amount”:1},
{“id”:“WRENCH”,“level”:1,“amount”:1}
], “tools”: [
[
[ “soldering_iron”, 100 ],
[ “toolset”, 50 ],
[ “small_repairkit”, 70 ],
[ “large_repairkit”, 60 ],
[ “oxy_torch”, 15 ],
[ “welder”, 30 ],
[ “welder_crude”, 75 ]
]
],
“components”: [
[
[ “steel_chunk”, 6 ]
],
[
[ “power_supply”, 2 ]
],
[
[ “amplifier”, 2 ]
],
[
[ “scrap”, 6 ]
],
[
[ “cable”, 15 ]
],
[
[“spring”, 2]
],
[
[“circuit”, 4]
],
[
[“e_scrap”, 6]
]
]
},

Ripper

item (goes in tools json file):

{
“id”: “ripper”,
“symbol”: “)”,
“name”: “ripper (off)”,
“name_plural”: “rippers (off)”,
“description”: “This is an electric carver that has been modified for melee combat. It features improved handling, durability, and increased battery capacity over the electric carver.”,
“price”: 50000,
“weight”: 970,
“volume”: 6,
“bashing”: 6,
“cutting”: 3,
“to_hit”: 1,
“charges_per_use”: 1,
“turns_per_charge”: 0,
“revert_to”: “null”,
“msg”: “You turn the ripper on.”,
“target”: “ripper_on”,
“active”: true,
“need_charges”: 1,
“need_charges_msg”: “The ripper’s batteries are dead.”
}
},
{
“id”: “ripper_on”,
“symbol”: “)”,
“color”: “red”,
“name”: “ripper (on)”,
“name_plural”: “rippers (on)”,
“description”: “This is an electric carver that has been modified for melee combat. It features improved handling, durability, and increased battery capacity over the electric carver.”,
“price”: 50000,
“flags” : [“DURABLE_MELEE”],
“weight”: 970,
“volume”: 6,
“bashing”: 6,
“cutting”: 24,
“to_hit”: 1,
“charges_per_use”: 0,
“turns_per_charge”: 6,
“revert_to”: “ripper”,
“msg”: “You turn the ripper off.”,
“target”: “ripper”
}
},

basic recipe (goes in weapon recipes json file):

{
“type” : “recipe”,
“result”: “ripper”,
“category”: “CC_WEAPON”,
“subcategory”: “CSC_WEAPON_CUTTING”,
“skill_used”: “fabrication”,
“skills_required”: [ “fabrication”, 3 ],
“difficulty”: 3,
“time”: 25000,
“reversible”: true,
“autolearn”: false,
“book_learn”: [[ “advanced_electronics”, 3 ] , [ “textbook_electronics”, 3 ] , [ “textbook_anarch”, 4 ]],
“qualities”:[
{“id”:“SAW_M_FINE”,“level”:1,“amount”:1}
], “tools”: [
[
[ “soldering_iron”, 10 ],
[ “toolset”, 10 ],
[ “small_repairkit”, 10 ],
[ “large_repairkit”, 5 ]
]
],
“components”: [
[
[ “pipe”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “power_supply”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “amplifier”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “scrap”, 6 ]
],
[
[ “cable”, 20 ]
],
[
[“carver_off”, 1]
]
]
},

basic apache revolver

item (goes in 9x18mm)

{
“id”: “apache_revolver”,
“type”: “GUN”,
“name”: “pinfire revolver”,
“description”: “A rare pepperbox-style revolver dating from the 1800’s. It features a fold-over knuckle duster grip and a folding blade. This weapon is notorious for its innacuracy and poor range due to the lack of fixed sights.”,
“weight”: 315,
“volume”: 1,
“price”: 500000,
“cutting”: 6,
“piercing”: 4,
“bashing”: 1,
“to_hit”: -1,
“material”: [“steel”, “plastic”],
“symbol”: “(”,
“color”: “dark_gray”,
“skill”: “pistol”,
“ammo”: “9x18”,
“dispersion”: 650,
“sight_dispersion”: 300,
“aim_speed” : 1,
“recoil”: 200,
“durability”: 2,
"//": “Although operating as a revolver, this unique pistol feeds from a detachable cylinder, acting much like a magazine.”,
“magazine_well” : 1,
“magazines”: [
[ “9x18”, [ “apache_mag” ] ]
]
},

magazine (goes in 9x18 json)

{
“description”: “A rare pepperbox-style revolver dating from the 1800’s. It features a fold-over knuckle duster grip and a folding blade. This weapon is notorious for its innacuracy and poor range due to the lack of fixed sights.”,
"//": “Although operating as a revolver, this unique pistol feeds from a detachable cylinder, acting much like a magazine.”,
]
},

no recipe, because… not worth it. turned out to not be a very good gun, in general. not very durable, detachable cylinder takes a long time to reload, not much melee damage, honestly. very portable, but unless you’re a sharpshooter, you won’t be able to hit the side of your evac shelter when you’re standing right next to it.

That’s the point of it, it was terrible.

[quote=“Straume21, post:24, topic:12701”]basic apache revolver

item (goes in 9x18mm)

{
]
},

{
]
},

no recipe, because… not worth it. turned out to not be a very good gun, in general. not very durable, detachable cylinder takes a long time to reload, not much melee damage, honestly. very portable, but unless you’re a sharpshooter, you won’t be able to hit the side of your evac shelter when you’re standing right next to it.[/quote]

You need to remove the aim_speed, sight_dispersion( this is arguable though), and recoil entries. They are being deprecated in favor of aim_cost, derived sight dispersion and recoil.

[quote=“Straume21, post:24, topic:12701”]basic apache revolver

item (goes in 9x18mm)

{
]
},

{
]
},

no recipe, because… not worth it. turned out to not be a very good gun, in general. not very durable, detachable cylinder takes a long time to reload, not much melee damage, honestly. very portable, but unless you’re a sharpshooter, you won’t be able to hit the side of your evac shelter when you’re standing right next to it.[/quote]

I still contest the Bash should definitely be higher. Just because there’s a gun and a knife attached to it, doesn’t make the knuckles any less powerful. (In fact, one could argue it would make them more powerful.) The baseline for brass knuckles is already set at a 6 bash in game.

added weight makes punches less effective. pick up a 5lb dumbbell and punc. now a ten. now do it w/o any with a cloth on your knuckles.

The ten-pound one would DESTROY THE WALL I HIT. The simple punch would not.

The reasons for this have to do with human mechanics and force. There is a maximum speed at which I can move my arm. If I can move my arm at the same speed carrying more weight, I will DEFINITELY do more damage that way than without.

Okay. So we have established that its limited by human ability to swing.

Do we already have a mechanic in place to model the increase in bash damage via strength? we do? oh okay.

[quote=“pisskop, post:30, topic:12701”]Okay. So we have established that its limited by human ability to swing.

Do we already have a mechanic in place to model the increase in bash damage via strength? we do? oh okay.[/quote]

You’re misunderstanding me. Yes, a stronger person would indeed hit harder. A stronger person with a weight in their hand would hit harder than that.

Above a certain threshold, though, more strength is going to have diminishing returns because of the speeds involved and the limitations of the human body. At this point, adding weight will increase damage dramatically.

However, in all but the most minor cases, adding weight will slow you down. Sure, you’ll do tremendous damage if you hit, but hitting will be more difficult. When it comes to hurting other human beings, a good punch is often quite sufficient on its own (we’re pretty breakable), so the speed penalty is generally not worth it, especially since it’s going to slow down your ability to defend as well, not to mention recovery time from a missed blow (also more common since you’re slower).

Also, if you’re going to some kind of weapon, there are things that are FAR FAR FAR more effective than simply adding weight (say, adding length for increased leverage, like a bat or a mace, or adding a sharp, strong edge, like a sword or an axe, or even simple a nice pointy bit, like a knife).

But yes, heavier things should DEFINITELY have a higher baseline bash damage.

Example: you have to stand and take a hit from me. Which would you prefer, the barehand punch, the quite weighted gloves (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighted-knuckle_glove), or punch-with-a-lead-pool-ball-in-hand. This is not a hard choice - with a proper windup, that last one has a decent chance to KILL you in one blow.

I dont think the offset of the revolver is going to make a positive difference to the apache.

but fair enough, youve made a good case.

Make this thing V

Sealed container, expandable, can smoke with it, makes a decent melee weapon when expanded. Stoner survival tool.

How about making a wasp knife?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp_knife
It’s basically a knife that has compressed co2 that can be injected into the victim. Should be possible to make a gun with 1 range and have a high stab damage to simulation the fact the if out of co2, it can be used as a regualr knife.

[quote=“Fourty_two, post:34, topic:12701”]How about making a wasp knife?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp_knife
It’s basically a knife that has compressed co2 that can be injected into the victim. Should be possible to make a gun with 1 range and have a high stab damage to simulation the fact the if out of co2, it can be used as a regualr knife.[/quote]

I really like this idea, and I started to work on it, but I realized that I need to not only make a new weapon, but also make an entirely new ammunition, since CO2 is not an ammunition in the game… which is going to probably take some time (like… probably at least a week) for me to get working without bugs, and it still might not work between versions since the gun jsons change so much in the experimentals… and since this is supposed to be a melee weapon thread (I planned on making a make your own ranged weapon thread later), I might just make the wasp knife run on some other kind of ammo (probably a rare ammo) and make it really powerful and difficult to craft.

Any suggestions? Sorry for not really being able to implement this exactly how it should be implemented. Very cool idea, very good. I hope a better version of this goes in the game for real eventually.

[quote=“Grandpuh Ty, post:33, topic:12701”]Make this thing V

Sealed container, expandable, can smoke with it, makes a decent melee weapon when expanded. Stoner survival tool.[/quote]

Nice suggestion… I’m not sure exactly how to do this right now, but I’ll be working on it. The difficulty is going to be making a tool that has the characteristics of a container, an expandable weapon, and of a smoking apparatus. Anyways, I’ll give an update later this week on how it’s going.

I’m thinking this would be along the lines of Guts’s pre-dragonslayer sword from Berserk.[/quote]

Guts could cleave armored soldiers in two with it before he was even 18 years old. Big swords are just cool.

But why stop there? I’d love to see an actual Dragonslayer-like sword in this game, even if it takes 30 strength to wield. It’s more of a giant slab of iron than a sword, after all.

Just so that I can cleave an elephant in two if I wanted, kind of like this:

I’m thinking this would be along the lines of Guts’s pre-dragonslayer sword from Berserk.[/quote]

Guts could cleave armored soldiers in two with it before he was even 18 years old. Big swords are just cool.

But why stop there? I’d love to see an actual Dragonslayer-like sword in this game, even if it takes 30 strength to wield. It’s more of a giant slab of iron than a sword, after all.

I’d love to see a PC using a titanic slab of iron to cleave through hordes of the dead.

Just like the manga.

I’d love to see a PC using a titanic slab of iron to cleave through hordes of the dead.

Just like the manga.[/quote]

I’d love if every strike took a huge amount of movement points, but was a guaranteed wide strike/spinning strike. Kill 3+ zombies every turn. Too bad having a high strength value doesn’t allow you to swing faster.

Back during the olden days (O.8) I had created a weapon that was of my own creation. It was a thing called the “Sniper Rifle Mod.8” and was the most powerful weapon I’ve ever created…

It was a crowbar…

With a scope bolted onto the handle.

I know, it was stupid; BUT! I loved it. And technically it was my first mod; so give some credit where credit is due huh?