The Musket

I had a great idea the other day and decided to put it right into my game by pasting the code into the bottoms of the recipes, weapons, and ammo json files of my game. You guys can take a look at it and if you want, put it in your game too. I really like the idea and I have had some fun with it myself. The reason I made it was because I wanted a reasonable firearm that increased my marksmanship skill without tearing through my already scarce ammunition. The result of my frustration: the musket, craftable, along with easy-to-craft ammunition. It just seemed logical to me that once you got good enough with weapons, you should be able to build one yourself and have a renewable source of ammunition. I tried to make it feasible for actual combat without making it too OP, but feel free to give me feedback or criticize.

{
“id”: “musket”,
“type”: “GUN”,
“symbol”: “(”,
“color”: “brown”,
“name”: “musket”,
“description”: “A revolutionary-era firearm that is the historical predecessor of the modern-day muzzleloader. While it is a fairly cheap handmade version of the classic weapon, it still packs a punch. Notably low durability, clip size, and accuracy, but still holds up against zombies and oppressive imperialists alike.”,
“price”: 500,
“material”: [“iron”, “wood”],
“skill”: “rifle”,
“ammo”: “cartridge”,
“weight”: 4200,
“volume”: 8,
“bashing”: 15,
“cutting”: 0,
“to_hit”: 2,
“ranged_damage”: 10,
“range”: 4,
“dispersion”: 7,
“recoil”: 4,
“durability”: 2,
“burst”: 0,
“clip_size”: 1,
“reload”: 200
}
{
“type” : “recipe”,
“result”: “musket”,
“category”: “CC_WEAPON”,
“skill_used”: “mechanics”,
“skills_required”: [ “gun”, 3 ], [ “fabrication”, 3], [ “rifle” 1],
“difficulty”: 3,
“time”: 12000,
“reversible”: true,
“autolearn”: true,
“qualities” : [
{“id”:“CUT”,“level”:1,“amount”:1}
],
“tools”: [
[
[ “hammer”, -1 ],
[ “toolset”, -1 ]
],
[
[ “screwdriver”, -1 ],
[ “toolset”, -1 ]
]
],
“components”:
[
[
[ “pipe”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “2x4”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “spring”, 1]
],
[
[ “stick”, 2]
],
[
[ “nail”, 5]
],
[
[ “leather”, 2],
[ “fur”, 2]
],
[
[ “scrap”, 4]
]
]
}
{ “type” : “AMMO”,
“id” : “cartridge”,
“price” : 100,
“name” : “cartridge”,
“symbol” : “=”,
“color” : “light_gray”,
“description” : “A makeshift revolutionary-era bullet, made to be used in muskets. Essentially just a ball-bearing wrapped with a rag and filled with some firing powder. These rounds inflict reasonable damage against unarmored targets and have a moderate range.”,
“material” : [“steel”, “cotton”],
“volume” : 1,
“weight” : 1,
“bashing” : -1,
“cutting” : 0,
“to_hit” : 0,
“ammo_type” : “cartridge”,
“casing” : “NULL”,
“damage” : 30,
“pierce” : 7,
“range” : 17,
“dispersion” : 3,
“recoil” : 7,
“count” : 10,
“effects” : [“COOKOFF”, “SHOT”]
}
{
“result”: “cartridge”,
“category”: “CC_AMMO”,
“skill_used”: “fabrication”,
“skills_required”: [ “gun”, 3 ],
“difficulty”: 1,
“time”: 2500,
“reversible”: false,
],
“components”: [
[
[ “rag”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “gunpowder”, 50 ],
[ “smpistol_primer”, 50],
[ “shotgun_primer”, 50],
[ “lgpistol_primer”, 50],
[ “smrifle_primer”, 50],
[ “lgrifle_primer”, 50]
],
[
[ “bearing”, 10 ]
]
]
}
“id” : “fire_cartridge”,
“name” : “incendiary cartridge”,
“description” : “A makeshift revolutionary-era bullet, made to be used in muskets. Essentially just a ball-bearing wrapped with a rag and filled with some firing powder. These rounds have been modified to deal extra incendiary damage to targets.”,
“volume” : 1,
“weight” : 2,
“damage” : 25,
“pierce” : 7,
“range” : 15,
“dispersion” : 5,
“recoil” : 11,
“effects” : [“COOKOFF”, “SHOT”, “INCENDIARY”]
}
{
“result”: “fire_cartridge”,
“skills_required”: [ “gun”, 4 ],
“difficulty”: 2,
],
[
[ “rag”, 2 ]
],
[
[ “gunpowder”, 50 ],
[ “smpistol_primer”, 50],
[ “shotgun_primer”, 50],
[ “lgpistol_primer”, 50],
[ “smrifle_primer”, 50],
[ “lgrifle_primer”, 50]
],
[
[ “bearing”, 10 ]
],
[
[ “incendiary”, 50 ]
]
]
}
“id” : “packed_cartridge”,
“name” : “flechette cartridge”,
“description” : “A makeshift revolutionary-era bullet, made to be used in muskets. Essentially just a ball-bearing wrapped with a rag and filled with some firing powder. These rounds have been packed with scrap metal and extra powder, resulting in considerably more stopping power at the cost of extra weight and significantly lower accuracy and range.”,
“volume” : 2,
“weight” : 2,
“damage” : 37,
“pierce” : 25,
“range” : 5,
“dispersion” : 10,
“recoil” : 24,
“effects” : [“COOKOFF”, “SHOT”]
}
{
“result”: “packed_cartridge”,
“skills_required”: [ “gun”, 5 ],
“difficulty”: 3,
],
[
[ “rag”, 1 ]
],
[
[ “gunpowder”, 100 ],
[ “smpistol_primer”, 100],
[ “shotgun_primer”, 100],
[ “lgpistol_primer”, 100],
[ “smrifle_primer”, 100],
[ “lgrifle_primer”, 100]
],
[
[ “bearing”, 10 ]
],
[
[ “scrap”, 5]
]
]
}

Sorry guys, this is the first try for this code. I updated it after I put it in my actual game when I realized that 2 weight/volume is essentially nothing. I upped it to 100 or 200 on both. Also, I meant for packed cartridges to require 2 rags, but I guess it’s up to your own discretion if you want to use the code for your game. Obviously you can change it to whatever’s reasonable to you if you’re putting it in your code.

Those are already in the game, they just need a high fabrication skill because gunsmithing is not an easy task. But you may also find it on pawn shops and mansions.

They are insanely stronk but their reload and their inaccuracy make them inferior to the mundane crossbow (which can still ohko most zombies) has a fast reload and has plentiful and easier to craft high quality ammo (all that crossbow traps lying around).

What do you mean, already in the game? Do you mean on the experimental build? I have the stable, and I am certain that they are not in the ranged json at all, and I’ve never seen them in the world.

Yeah the experimental has them, flintlock pistols and flintlock rifle respectively.

Well, screw it. I guess my work was meaningless.

loads single cartridge into useless, outdated musket through tears

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO COMMIT SUICIDE? Y?N

But you can still ad the flechete shot, I gues that would make sense; I am not sure about how much sense the incendiary rounds make though, I think they should work simmilar to dragonbreath shotgun rounds, problem is that as far as i am concerned we dont have code that can create cones of projectiles infront of you, so youll have to implement that first.

My idea of it was that it worked like regular incendiary ammo, igniting the targets it hits. I mean given that flamethrowers torch a 3x3 square, the physics of the game isn’t exactly spot-on to begin with. Once the cone-damage is coded, flamethrowers will act like actual flamethrowers and then we can get to the matter of shotgun physics.

I don’t know, I think this could be tweaked into an interesting, early-game firearm. It could be sort of an alternate to the pipe rifle, only instead of using scavenged 9 mm, you scavenge ingredients to make ammo. The flintlocks are actually a late-game weapon; they’re NOT easy to make. This, however, you could make early, and you could make your own ammo as well.

Dunno if anything I think we should have pipe guns for every caliber instead. Makes more sense from a survival point of view to make a weapon for each caliber you find instead of making a weapon that shots a special caliber and then convert every single shot you find into that caliber.

Or just cough make your own ammo from cough scavenged and crafted items… cough

Well gunpowder is not as common as the shots themselves, and fabricating it from the very common oxidizer powder takes finding books from the recipe and crafting or finding a chemistry set, not to mention the amount of batteries that chemistry in general eats. Compared to the relative minimal effort of making a pipe gun for whatever why would you even bother with going through all the scavenging?

Really, rule of cool is the only function a flintlock firearm could have when you are in a world littered with modern ammunition.

I guess this would be pretty long-term, given that you’re unlikely to run out of ammo unless you’ve been fighting monsters for a long time.

Currently 1 volume = 250 mL and 1 weight = 1 gram.

Unless it’s a Nock 7 barrel volleygun, because my god that thing would make a mess out of just about anything not covered in armour.

Plus you could always use a flintlock that loads with a cartridge. There’s no need to have a crappy muzzle loader.

A lot depends on how common firearms are. In Cata, it really should be an early game weapon. A pipe, a cigarette lighter, a 2x4, a hacksaw, and some duck tape should be enough to make a Pipe Flintlock Rifle. Still not really worth it, bullets are much more common than gunpowder and once you have ammo you can usually craft a pipe rifle for that caliber.