Crafting ideas

Some of my ideas:

1. craft a fur coverlet from 10x furs and bone needle (would be the equivalent of a sheet)
  2. craft a fur mat from 12x furs and bone needle (works like a rollmat)
  3. gain thread from disassembling sweaters
  4. some way to create bleach via cooking
  5. some way to create ammonia via cooking

Feel free to throw more in!

P.S.

I think someone put in craftable splints and crutches awhile back

Where can I find them?
P.P.S. How do I add new items/recipes?

1&2) Seem like fairly good ideas to me.
3)I think this is already in the game.
4&5) I’m fairly certain the process for making bleach/ammonia is a little complicated for a zombie apocalypse survivor.

To add new recipes or items look at the files in the data/raw and data/raw/items folders.

aren’t there already craftable leather blankets and leather coats?

Sheets are superabundant, so I have no idea why you’d need more (seriously, just break a window or something).
Ways to create more sleeping spaces, on the other hand, would be welcome.
In 0.6, at least; sweaters can neither be disassembled directly nor cut up with a slicing tool… if the functionality has been implemented since, that’s cool.

More advanced chemistry recipes would be nice. I think that there should be a somewhat complicated lead-in to it, though, since high-end chemistry requires a bit more precision than is currently in-game. Off the top of my head, certain recipes should be hazardous to attempt, with failure causing various nasty side-effects… which can be mitigated by using proper safety apparatus. Really, you’ll want a properly sterile lab setup before you start messing around with mutagens, and you probably don’t want to be pouring boiling concentrated acid out of a pot into an itty plastic drink bottle at all, much less with your bare hands. Any chance it’d be feasible to code in ‘optional tools’ which aren’t actually needed to produce a thing, but make the job easier/safer?

That said, using all that gear would let you make cool stuff from complex ingredients. Bleach, for instance, is made from Chlorine, Lye, and Water. Water is ubiquitous. Lye can be produced by mixing ash with rainwater, which could be implemented more or less immediately following the ability to collect ash when confronting an ash pile with a shovel, as opposed to burying it. Chlorine is harder; the standard chemical process to produce it involves electrolysis of salt water… but if you can put together an apparatus to perform electrolysis (and have lots of electrical power), then it’s doable… more feasibly, though, you’ll want to loot a pool supply store, or the house of some guy who owns a pool. Incidentally, you could produce Hydrogen from water using much the same mechanism, provided you’ve got electrical power out the butt (as in, probably not until generators come online).

Ammonia would generally be produced by mixing hydrogen with atmospheric nitrogen. Acquiring pure nitrogen gas takes a bit of doing, but you could probably loot it from from labs; liquid nitrogen, in particular, is no doubt part of the cooling systems for all the weird experiments. Alternatively, ammonia is a byproduct of processing sewage, since it occurs in human and animal waste. The process isn’t exactly as simple as boiling down sewage, but it is doable… indeed, many sewage treatment plants are already designed to recover ammonia from the waste they’re treating, so probably the most straightforward way to acquire large quantities of ammonia would be to get a sewage treatment plant running. Which is kind of endgame-y, but effectively unlimited supply of a vital chemical crafting resource is probably worth a quest.

More reasonably, it’d be neat if you could put together a still, as a tool to process some of this stuff; it’d be way more doable to make your own moonshine than to try your hand at cooking meth.

Ways to create more sleeping spaces, on the other hand, would be welcome.

That’s why I thought of a fur coverlet.

rainwater, which could be implemented more or less immediately following the ability to collect ash when confronting an ash pile with a shovel, as opposed to burying it.

Good point. I wonder why can’t we collect the rainwater if we have a container…

[quote=“Zireael, post:5, topic:2043”]

rainwater, which could be implemented more or less immediately following the ability to collect ash when confronting an ash pile with a shovel, as opposed to burying it.

Good point. I wonder why can’t we collect the rainwater if we have a container…[/quote]
You actually can. But with a funnel, instead of a container.

[quote=“KWilt, post:6, topic:2043”][quote=“Zireael, post:5, topic:2043”]

Good point. I wonder why can’t we collect the rainwater if we have a container…[/quote]
You actually can. But with a funnel, instead of a container.[/quote]

Good to know.

I was always told by my chemistry teachers that if a person could find a way to make bulk ammonia for cheap they’d be rich.

And i believe it was AMMONIA not AMMONIUM. (Ammonium is just ammonia that’s bonded with something? idk, i dropped out of uni after one semester, don’t ask me, not that you did)

This, i want to get mutated in freaky chemistry explosion. :3

This, i want to get mutated in freaky chemistry explosion. :3[/quote]

So do I. :slight_smile:

Not yet, but I posted a recipe here to the forums not too long ago:

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=1882.msg23115#msg23115

Assuming it hasn’t changed much since Haber ammonia is produced by pumping nitrogen and hydrogen at dangerous pressures over an iron catalyst, it’s a pretty massive industrial process, not sure how you’d implement that.

Define “bulk”. Getting a gallon or so of ammonia from an hour’s work isn’t much, when you consider the output of a large facility in industrial terms… but in terms of a single guy, running around the future, the ability to convert useless resources (like sewage) into valuable crafting resources (like ammonia) is a big deal.

Yeah; it’s a compressed gas reaction that you do in a lab with expensive, bulky, and power-consuming equipment. The kind of stuff that’s probably spawns as large blocks of “Broken Equipment” or some such, and even if it does stay intact, is probably useless forever since it won’t work unless you get the grid back up. But if you do get the grid back up, AND clear out a lab, then you can do some advanced chemistry.

Again, the more doable reaction is to reclaim ammonia from sewage; a process which involves microorganisms that eat some components of the sewage and produce ammonia. That’s not really a power-intensive process; mostly you just need to pump the ammonia out of whatever tank is storing it. I’d file this under ‘cool things you get do if you hack the sewage treatment plant computer’, and suggest that you’ll probably have trouble figuring out the correct process without cross-referencing a manual item that drops in-game with labels on tanks that are in hazardous places with unhelpful options in the sewage treatment computer. Accessing the wrong options, of course, will do dangerous things in your vicinity.

Yeah; it's a compressed gas reaction that you do in a lab with expensive, bulky, and power-consuming equipment. The kind of stuff that's probably spawns as large blocks of "Broken Equipment" or some such, and even if it does stay intact, is probably useless forever since it won't work unless you get the grid back up. But if you do get the grid back up, AND clear out a lab, then you can do some advanced chemistry.

Again, the more doable reaction is to reclaim ammonia from sewage; a process which involves microorganisms that eat some components of the sewage and produce ammonia. That’s not really a power-intensive process; mostly you just need to pump the ammonia out of whatever tank is storing it. I’d file this under ‘cool things you get do if you hack the sewage treatment plant computer’, and suggest that you’ll probably have trouble figuring out the correct process without cross-referencing a manual item that drops in-game with labels on tanks that are in hazardous places with unhelpful options in the sewage treatment computer. Accessing the wrong options, of course, will do dangerous things in your vicinity.

Agreed.