Combining similar clothing items

Recently been playing a lot of Terraria, and the accessory combining system (Along with a mod i’m making) has given me an idea for DDA.

What if you could combine different pieces of clothing and get (reduced) benefits of both in one item? For my mod i made an item that combined a MOLLE pack, chest rig, and a shoulder holster.

{
“id” : “molle_advanced”,
“name” : “advanced MOLLE pack”,

"weight" : 1289, "//" : "Weight- molle pack, 966 | 1/2 chest rig, 213 | 1/2 sholder holster, 110 | 1289",

"storage" : 60, "//" : "Storage- molle pack, 48 | chest rig, 18",

"description" : "An advanced version of the standard MOLLE pack, combined with pieces of a chest rig and a sholder holster.  Activate to holster/draw a gun.",

"volume" : 13, "//" : "Volume- molle pack, 10 | 1/2 chest rig, 1 | 1/2 shoulder holster, 1.5 (2) | 13",

"encumbrance" : 16, "//" : "Encumbrance- molle pack, 10 | 1/2 chest rig, 2.5 (3) | 1/2 shoulder holster, 2.5 (3) | 16",

"coverage" : 50, "//" : "Coverage- molle pack, 35 | chest rig,  20 | shoulder holster, 5",

"use_action" : ["HOLSTER_GUN"],
	"properties" : [["holster_size", "5"]]
}

Would it be possible to do something similar to this for other items? Like taping/sowing a sheath onto a pair of pants?
Mainly to thin down the overabundance of storage items on the “Belted” layer.

Those are already good on their own. I don’t see a reason to give them another buff like that.

Maybe some specific cases combining underpowered items could work like that, but not good storage item combos.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:2, topic:10332”]Those are already good on their own. I don’t see a reason to give them another buff like that.

Maybe some specific cases combining underpowered items could work like that, but not good storage item combos.[/quote]

I was just using this as an example, in the sense it would be easy to combine these items realistically without losing too much functionality.

Strapping holsters to a belt or such seems logical for eliminating the annoyance of encumbrance stacking. Seriously, I can’t wear a holster on my belt like a proper redneck? o3o

Of course you can. Layering penalty isn’t the end of the world.

It can occasionally cause annoyance, though I’ve yet to test how the layering penalty nerf affects things like belt plus holster.

Isn’t Terraria’s inventory slot-based? In that case you HAVE to combine the items in order to wear both at once, in DDA that functionality is handled by layering, so there’s not much benefit to implementing a combination system.

You can easily make composite items and recipes to make them, but that scales incredibly badly with the thousands of items we have.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:7, topic:10332”]Isn’t Terraria’s inventory slot-based? In that case you HAVE to combine the items in order to wear both at once, in DDA that functionality is handled by layering, so there’s not much benefit to implementing a combination system.

You can easily make composite items and recipes to make them, but that scales incredibly badly with the thousands of items we have.[/quote]

Yes, but its the layering i (somewhat) have a problem with. Some things that take up the same layer (ex. molle + chest rig) can be combined to help avoid the penalty for more than one item per layer. Another example would be a scabbard and belt. It’s assumed that there’s something holding the scabbard up, typically a belt. In that case, you should also be able to use any variation of a belt (firefighter, survivor, etc)

Personally I think that maybe that’s an issue of layer and/or body part reassignment. I would suggest making a scabbard a leg item and maybe make a baldric as a torso item, for example.

Likewise, chestrigs are strapped. Weirdness. Also also, I find our lack of fishing vests disturbing.

But if the Scabbard is moved to the legs, then you cant wear a holster without penalty.

True. Also, yay at being sigged. o3o

But yeah, layering causes oddities at times. Like…wearing a hoodie over a shirt? Enjoy some extra encumbrance.

well with the new encumbrance system that doesn’t have the flat +10 but the lowest of the two offending items I can manage to wear a waterskin and my scabbard with a very managable +1