Character hunger, thirst, tiredness FUBAR

My character was looting a town as usual and went to sleep in my vehicle for the night. When I woke up, I had gone from full and slaked to dehydrated and famished, and somehow was still tired after ~10 hours of sleep. The effects have persisted since then, and I had to debug a ton of food and water just to stay alive. Sleeping for less than 12 hours brings me from completely full and slaked to famished and dehydrated, and I’m permanently exhausted after several straight days of sleeping. Is there some ingame mechanic that I don’t know that could be causing this? The character is not mutated at all, has nothing under the “effects” list, and has not come into contact with any enemies other than normal zombies and wildlife, and two tank drones I ran over.

It sounds like you’re probably infested with internal parasites (which don’t display on the @ screen).

Have you been eating raw meat/uncook wild plants/nonpurified water?

I’m pretty sure I haven’t eaten anything uncooked or drank unclean water even once on this character, much less recently. For the past 5 or so in game days I’ve been eating debugged meat fried rice and drinking clean water. I’ve also been taking antibiotics and antiparasitic drugs just in case, but they don’t seem to be doing anything yet. On the bright side, after sleeping for a week straight I managed to get back to tired from exhausted.

Using the debug menu I’ve found that every 5 minutes ingame time I’m getting 3-4 points of hunger and thirst, and 2-3 points of fatigue. Sleeping for 10 hours reduces fatigue by around 34 points. The math adds up to my character needing to get 10 hours of sleep to recover the fatigue gained from around one waking hour, while becoming hungry and thirsty at 3-4 times the normal rate (according to the wiki values of 1 point per 5 minutes). If this is a game mechanic and not a bug, then it seems pretty silly. It’s been 2 weeks of this now.

Post a copy of your save and we’ll see if we can get to the bottom of this.

The .sav file is 169 KB and too large to be attached. Should I upload it somewhere?

Yes. Standard procedure for posting things is to upload 'em to the cloud (I like dropbox) and post a link here.

Here it is. The version I’m running is c4a86d8. Side note: This world also seems to have an odd problem where it refuses to register that I have a handheld powered welder in my inventory unless I’m standing in my vehicle (which does not have a welding rig installed yet). Probably unrelated, but you never know.

I was about to make a thread about this myself. I’ve also noted the extreme hunger, thirst and tiredness with version 21e8661.

Sorry for the slow reply, I’ve not been ignoring this, just been busy.

You’ve got no parasites or anything else that would explain the rapid drain. It does seem to be confined to the specific save file, as new characters in the same world don’t suffer from it.

I’m at a loss as to why this is happening, though.

I think I got it. This is one of those really silly Dwarf Fortress tier bugs.

It’s the foot pedals that do it. There’s an electric scooter with pedals near starting save position. Due to a bug in vehicle code, all muscle engines always consume “power”, even when the player isn’t there to run them or when the player is sleeping.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:11, topic:8612”]I think I got it. This is one of those really silly Dwarf Fortress tier bugs.

It’s the foot pedals that do it. There’s an electric scooter with pedals near starting save position. Due to a bug in vehicle code, all muscle engines always consume “power”, even when the player isn’t there to run them or when the player is sleeping.[/quote]

Wait, what? Does this mean every muscle-powered vehicle in the game is always leeching off of you, or does this just happen when a muscle engine is spawned “idling” or something?

Only vehicles loaded into memory. That is, all vehicles that have been a part of the reality bubble since you last saved the game (including quicksaves).
I PR’d a fix. Until the fix gets merged, you can stop the bug from happening by turning off the foot pedal in your car, moving your car away from any bicycles (especially ones with installed alternators) and saving the game (quicksaving or autosaving also works).

Only vehicles loaded into memory. That is, all vehicles that have been a part of the reality bubble since you last saved the game (including quicksaves).
I PR’d a fix. Until the fix gets merged, you can stop the bug from happening by turning off the foot pedal in your car, moving your car away from any bicycles (especially ones with installed alternators) and saving the game (quicksaving or autosaving also works).[/quote]

This is tragic. I never thought my precious bike would turn on me like this.

Worked like a charm.

Aha! This is what happened to one of my chars! I knew it wasn’t parasites, but I couldn’t replicate it.

Thanks for the closure.

Edit: Added my previous post.

Fix is merged.