CataTweaks [ 2014-12-19 ]

Thank you!

I figured it out its its own thing lol!

Yes, it is the only way for changes in game code, these can’t be done in mod.

Updated.

Noticeable difference is, that rifle with shoulder strap is worn on OVER_SHOULDER layer instead of BELTED like in vanilla.

Editing posts is a thing, right?

Updated.

Larger waterskins and canteen are worn over shoulder. small waterskin and canteen are belted as in vanilla. Unlike the vanilla, you can drink from them without taking them down first.
Btw, as these items do not cover any body part, you can wear crazy amount of them without encumbrance penalty. I consider it bug and hopefully, it will be eventually fixed.

Crap, not sure if it’s your version or what, but when I attach the rifle sling to my gun and put it on then wield it again, I lose my pants.

It seems that with the rifle sling, that where ever you put the rifle in the clothing manager that everything disappears under it if there’s anything under it.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:85, topic:7777”]Crap, not sure if it’s your version or what, but when I attach the rifle sling to my gun and put it on then wield it again, I lose my pants.

It seems that with the rifle sling, that where ever you put the rifle in the clothing manager that everything disappears under it if there’s anything under it.[/quote]

I tried it in vanilla and it is broken there…

Stop breaking my game, devs! shakes with fists

Updated.

Does include Kevin’s fix for clothing removal bug.

Yay! Thanks Robik!

I just want to suggest that hybrid is the way to go. Standard inventory for fast storage, pockets, vests, and the like. Storage based inventory for closed containers, briefcases, backpacks, duffels, etc.

Potentially add additional functionality for purposed containers, such as:
Toolboxes - the box itself inherits the flags of contained tools
Holsters/Rifle Slings - a sheath command assigns a weapon to the sling and said weapon is assigned zero volume.
A weight modifier so a worn backpack reduces the weight of contained items.
An autoput system, so picked up items are immediately stored in an assigned container, allowing players to isolate ready items.

This system will only add a slight layer of complexity code side while making inventory management simpler player side. I fear that a more comprehensive everything is a container system will muddy up the gameplay.

Updated.

Rivet added waist layer and moved belts and water containers to it. I kept it that way, only largest waterskin is still on OVER_SHOULDER layer.

[quote=“vcntmnd, post:89, topic:7777”]I just want to suggest that hybrid is the way to go. Standard inventory for fast storage, pockets, vests, and the like. Storage based inventory for closed containers, briefcases, backpacks, duffels, etc.

Potentially add additional functionality for purposed containers, such as:
Toolboxes - the box itself inherits the flags of contained tools
Holsters/Rifle Slings - a sheath command assigns a weapon to the sling and said weapon is assigned zero volume.
A weight modifier so a worn backpack reduces the weight of contained items.
An autoput system, so picked up items are immediately stored in an assigned container, allowing players to isolate ready items.

This system will only add a slight layer of complexity code side while making inventory management simpler player side. I fear that a more comprehensive everything is a container system will muddy up the gameplay.[/quote]

Thanks for suggestions. I am occupied with work right now, so I am only keeping this updated with mainline. I have some planned improvements for when I have more time.

Sorry I am still a noob at the forums, I now know you can edit them.

Robik keep up the good work this is so amazing, I love you man.

Thanks!

Updated.

Love this mod and I’m still getting used to it. I like having a bag to simply store my rations in.

I have some things to report/suggest:

It doesn’t appear that items inside worn or held containers are selected for construction applications (ie. Disassembling furniture requires a screwdriver and a hammer, if you have these items in your backpack, they are not available for use.

I have a leather backpack in game. It currently has 28/40 space in it. However, I am unable to place a Long Rope (vol 10) inside it. Is there a flag on rope and other flimsy objects you could check for before declaring an object’s volume as too large to fit in the container’s opening? Looking at the files it doesn’t appear so. Maybe make a (flexible) item group in item_groups.json? Things like Jumper cables, rope, string. Basically anything that’s form is malleable enough that it’s overall volume should count less as you can fudge it’s shape to fit inside a container.

Also, since this is CataTweaks, could you add the “PRESERVES” flag to the “plastic cup” container? They’re supposed to be vacuum-sealed cups and I think it was an oversight that tin cans got a flag to preserve their contents while vacuum-sealed containers did not.

Thank you. Glad you like it.

[quote=“Hague, post:93, topic:7777”]I have some things to report/suggest:

It doesn’t appear that items inside worn or held containers are selected for construction applications (ie. Disassembling furniture requires a screwdriver and a hammer, if you have these items in your backpack, they are not available for use.[/quote]

Yeah, I am aware of this limitation and I plan to fix it once I have more free time.

Strange, if you have 12 volume space in backpack, item with 10 volume should fit, I did not place any size limitation on backpacks. I am not planning adding secondary volume info for ‘packable’ items. It is not a bad idea, but I don’t see that big benefit and it IMO suits more mainline, if they decide to add something like it.

Hmm, I am not sure about this, things like yoghurts still go bad, unlike most of canned stuff. If it is bug though, bug fix should be done in mainline.

I am trying to limit things I add to CataTweaks to stuff that can’t be merged into mainline, because every change I add makes keeping it updated with latest mainline changes harder.

Could it be that the “volume” of the rope is larger than the “max_size” of the backpack? Could be a deal with handling the “RIGID” tag.

Also PTW. This is awesome. Sadly, I’m not going to use it for now. I hope you get PR’d in! That would be rad because this sounds like it solves a lot of the inventory clutter!

Also suggestions:

Can you handle containers on the ground yet? As in: Can I grab a rifle from a dufflebag I dropped on the ground and put, say, my cudgel in there before picking it back up?

How about being able to “activate” a container, get a menu that asks whether you want to “put item in” or “take item out” of the container?

I did not set max_size on backpacks, so this should not be the problem. It is non-rigid container, so yes, if the backpack is not worn, but in the inventory instead, this could be it.

Sadly, not going to happen. I tried.

Yes, you can move stuff around from and in containers whether they are worn, in your inventory or laying on the ground.

I might add it eventually. It is more of quality of life feature, because you can do it in AIM, so this would serve as secondary method, more convenient at times.

Me & some of my friends took a look at what you did. It seems like you’ve tackled layers and nesting on your own quite well. What I’m thinking about right now is some sort of extension to the Advanced Inventory system governed with your solution to clothing layers. If you’ve player Unreal World perhaps, you might’ve seen a visual aid in form of bodypart examination; think of it in ASCII. We could use keys to scroll and select various spots used to store, or even attach containers onto clothing. An Info panel would show extended info and allow for selection and manipulation, and even show the number of turns needed to complete the needed action.
It seems to me this may be somehow vital to the wholesome issue of clothing and encumberance. I feel it’s not just the mere mention of the inventory system at stake here; there are combat and survival to be considered as factors. If we wanted to use autopickup and macros combined, in order to backpack all the necessities and use (future) fighting styles and martial art techniques we should build easy and viable system for dropping/picking up gear.

As for suggestions, upon reading up on your effort there were but a few of our own, but perhaps usable. Let’s say you’ve stumbled upon a fallen NPC in the wastes with a silly amount of arrows on him, say 200 total. There should be at least three pickup options available when this happens:

1. “pick up some” - a dozen, handful, or any fairly minimal ammount (ten arrows would suffice);
  2. “pack as much as you can” - you can carry as much as 167 arrows at this point, period;
  3. “pack all of it” - interacting with the value system to create suggestions and remove items.

Even though this was somewhat of a “dry” case, think important things in corelation with your, enhanced layer and container system. A gallon jug strapped onto your belt with just one portion of clean water may seem important at one point, but it’s nothing compared to stocking up on some gas for your Road Hog left behind some miles ago. It would be really, really cool to resolve default tasks with as little effort as a couple of keypresses.

As for us here, we love your enthusiasm and support your effort to make this game a little better. We wish you that PR as much as you do, for we are elated with your devotion and persistence.

Updated.

BevapDin’s Item type slots for items to be of multiple types got merged into mainline and I made some changes to accommodate it. You can make containers from wearables in mainline now and I changed definitions of backpacks and stuff to use it, instead of my own solution.

If you changed some wearables into containers on your own, you have change definition of these items as well.

[quote=“vultures, post:97, topic:7777”]Me & some of my friends took a look at what you did. It seems like you’ve tackled layers and nesting on your own quite well. What I’m thinking about right now is some sort of extension to the Advanced Inventory system governed with your solution to clothing layers. If you’ve player Unreal World perhaps, you might’ve seen a visual aid in form of bodypart examination; think of it in ASCII. We could use keys to scroll and select various spots used to store, or even attach containers onto clothing. An Info panel would show extended info and allow for selection and manipulation, and even show the number of turns needed to complete the needed action.
It seems to me this may be somehow vital to the wholesome issue of clothing and encumberance. I feel it’s not just the mere mention of the inventory system at stake here; there are combat and survival to be considered as factors. If we wanted to use autopickup and macros combined, in order to backpack all the necessities and use (future) fighting styles and martial art techniques we should build easy and viable system for dropping/picking up gear.

As for suggestions, upon reading up on your effort there were but a few of our own, but perhaps usable. Let’s say you’ve stumbled upon a fallen NPC in the wastes with a silly amount of arrows on him, say 200 total. There should be at least three pickup options available when this happens:

1. “pick up some” - a dozen, handful, or any fairly minimal ammount (ten arrows would suffice);
  2. “pack as much as you can” - you can carry as much as 167 arrows at this point, period;
  3. “pack all of it” - interacting with the value system to create suggestions and remove items.

Even though this was somewhat of a “dry” case, think important things in corelation with your, enhanced layer and container system. A gallon jug strapped onto your belt with just one portion of clean water may seem important at one point, but it’s nothing compared to stocking up on some gas for your Road Hog left behind some miles ago. It would be really, really cool to resolve default tasks with as little effort as a couple of keypresses.[/quote]

Kevin and BevapDin are working on some prerequisites for their versions of container system (or so it seems) and I think it actually might be closer to system you want - autopickup and stuff.

Thank you guys, I really am touched by your kind words.

I gotta agree with vultures, on some real shit this container mod brought me back to cata after a pretty long break. Props on the good work bruh.

Updated.

Next update will be 28.12. I will not be at home to make one sooner.