Cataclysm DDA Version 0.3

[quote=“Shoes, post:16, topic:545”]50F in just a tshirt is still pretty cold. You still shouldn’t have hit “very cold”, unless you were getting pretty tired. While naked, you would only get very cold at 33.8F.

Another point, if you slept on the bare ground in just a t shirt in 50F weather, you probably got very cold. With all these conditions piled on, it is possible to the get frostbite in above freezing temperatures… so I should probably look into that.

My suggestion : a brazier would help, and so would building up your tailoring skill to make a hoodie+trenchcoat combo. Also, in the @ menu, in the encumbrance square, in ()s is your warmth value for each body part.[/quote]

While I was only wearing a tshirt on my chest (couldn’t find any chestwear on my first day in town), I had on warm clothing for the other parts of my body. Was sleeping in the evac shelter, tried the basement and the surface.

Thanks for the tip on warmth at the encumbrance screen. I had no idea that’s what those numbers meant.

While it would be nice to make some clothes and a brazier, I’m basically getting frostbite on night 1. Is it possible to get all the skills and materials in one day, especially with static spawning as it is?

awesome! thank you devs!

Ugh, temperature came back, I see–though it’s a good thing that Shoes let us know what that number meant. (Figuring out the character screen shouldn’t be part of the game’s challenge.) The sticky-static spawn doesn’t inspire confidence either.

Suggestion: clothing on the tile where you sleep adds its warmth to what you’re wearing. Basically, makeshift blankets.

Okay, so I loaded up my character to take a look at his temperature.

The second parentheses is warmth, I guess? Here’s how my body parts are doing:

Head - 90
Eyes - 0
Mouth - 30
Torso - 15
Arms - 0
Hands - 0
Legs - 20
Feet - 105

When I loaded up my status effect list was filled with blisters on my face (?). If I try to sleep I end up with every bodypart cold and frostnip on my hands. It’s cloudy and 57 F at around 4 AM.

Edit: I proceed to light a small forest fire and stand near the flames. The frostnip goes away but I’m still have the cold status effect on every limb and get the occasional ‘burr’. Temperature levels on body parts are unchanged. How do you build a brazier? I picked to start with survival 2 considering static spawn, but can’t make anything to keep me warm. I have fur and bones, but don’t know how to make the bone needle to make some fur clothing. I’m not expecting to be able to do all this in night 1, but as it is I can’t sleep the first night unless I have these skills and materials?

Edit2: In the name of science I step into the fire and linger in the flames. Aside from destroying my legs over time, I’m still cold everywhere but my feet. What? My temperature numbers are unchanged.

Dam that was quick! Just found the game 4 days ago (Longest survival time 2 and 1/2 days!) and its already updating.
I like :slight_smile:

Well… now with current static spawns it seems any resource loot run becomes nigh impossible.

I was trying to get to the military surplus seen in the beginning map edge to get basic stuff - mainly backpack, but on the way screen filled with all kinds of zombies - at first day, hour after start. I was smashed to bloody bits by fresh zombies who were faster than me- despite me having 110 speed - while other zombies from the pack spitted acid and electricity to me. I didnt make any noise on the way, just try to reach the mil. surplus.

Does this mean you are not supposed to be urban runner / scavenger no more and you are supposed to start out as hermit in the woods with survival skills? Thats pretty onesided :frowning:

Deep, its not that hard. Be more careful and start with the houses in the outskirts. Not so many zombies. Remenber: Now’s easier. Not so many hulks/necros. Slice or batter zambies in a window until you clean an area, and if you find a brute or hulk, throw a molotov

Delicious feedback, Flunky. I will add a check to the frostbite effect so that it can only happen in freezing temps. When you sleep, your body doesn’t warm it self as much, so you get colder. Temperature is also tracked by body part, and spread around a bit.

When you say every bodypart was cold, does that include your feet, head, face and legs? Your feet especially should be able to withstand a blizzard.

Warming via fire is tricky to balance, but also keep in mind that there are four stages to fire. A small fire is like a piece of paper burning: it doesn’t provide much warmth. To avoid divisions by zero, standing in the fire is the same as standing next to it. I should do something about being on fire though!

It is also a bug that I noticed (and have no idea how it happens) that, on reload, you will have blisters for one turn only. Something about how it saves and loads…

When traveling in vehicles that have no “indoors”, the temperature should rapidly drop. Having spent the last two winters driving with a scooter, i can tell you there are a few things worse than the lack of windshield.

Just a small detail, but something that i felt was missing.

new rain, new damage taken FX… fucking A, love this.

My save is since gone (attacked by a spider not long after that last post, went about as well as it should have) so I can’t confirm it at this time. After trying to sleep I remember my head, face, legs and feet being cold but I can’t confirm. Stepping into fire did remove the ‘cold feet’ status effect, though. If I encounter the problem again I’ll submit more info, but for now I can’t be 100% sure. Never dealt with image hosting before, but screenshots would probably help here.

Around 50F and every body part is cold, regardless of how much clothing, with the hard-to-cover areas having frost bite.

My first attempt with a brazier works. My second attempt ends up with me dead through smoke inhalation.

It’d be nice if we could build chimneys/fireplaces.

Early on, the cold seemed excessive with my first character, rendering him completely unable to sleep when it was 53 or so out, whether he was indoors or outdoors. This, combined with the fact that the massive hordes of zombies early on are far harder to deal with, meant that the character eventually died of exposure since the few houses that weren’t swarming with zombies had insufficient warm clothing.

My second character was doing fine, as I found a small town and was able to snap up enough clothing to stay warm and avoid frostbite at 50F, until they got an infected bite. I’ve cleaned the wound with six or more uses of first-aid kits, but I’ve gotten to the stage where the character is vomiting every five minutes (You feel feverish and nauseous, your wound has begun to turn green) and unless I’m lucky enough to find some antibiotics in the next ingame hour, the character will be killed by having no speed from massive thirst and hunger. This seems to be excessive, especially since I’m cleaning the wound, and not just leaving it to fester.

As a side-note, you may want to have wound cleaning give some first-aid XP.

That aside, I like the new craftables and the general layout of the latest version, but you may want to make it more obvious how exactly the temperature system works, I.E. you need to cover all of your body with warm clothing, not just some of it, and tone down the frostbite effects to at least 40F and below.

Not to clog up the 0.3 thread with Q&A about temperature issues, post here : http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=309.0

I am curious about the conditions in which people are getting frostbite in 50F weather. It is moot because I pushed a fix for that, but I am still curious. I am pretty sure it is due to the fact that frostbite only checked to see if you are very cold, and you could get very cold through a combination of sleeping, being tired and being hungry.

I am more concerned about people having a hard time warming up… layering up should totally solve that issue. Even doubling up on t-shirts.

The seems to be a bug where you crash when going up stairs that are not an evac shelter but only if you move once you go down the back up. though if you use commands to tp to the evac shelter basement after walking around and go up the evac shelter stairs its fine.

brilliant workaround, tyvm!

There was a crash introduced about a week and a half ago and I think I just ran into it again with V0.3. When an NPC fires a shot at a monster out of screen the hit animation causes a crash. I would have fixed it myself, or maybe it was already fixed, but I’m not familiar with how this part of the code works.

Stack Trace from about a week and a half ago:
#0 766897E9 msvcrt!memset() (C:\windows\syswow64\msvcrt.dll:??)
#1 00000029 ?? () (??:??)
#2 00CA81D6 FillRectDIB(x=328, y=-144, width=8, height=16, color=1 ‘\001’) (C:…\catacurse.cpp:160)
#3 00467893 DrawWindow(win=0x8be2cb0) (C:…\catacurse.cpp:177)
#4 004689E5 wrefresh(win=0x8be2cb0) (C:…\catacurse.cpp:438)
#5 00AC5521 hit_animation(iX=41, iY=-9, cColor=c_ltgreen_red, cTile=37 ‘%’, iTimeout=70) (C:…\output.cpp:930)
#6 00B3E007 shoot_monster(g=0x6720020, p=…, mon=…, dam=@0x3e5f958: 105, goodhit=0.1330413818359375, weapon=0x85d01f4) (C:…\ranged.cpp:926)
#7 00B38EE6 game::fire(this=0x6720020, p=…, tarx=65, tary=33, trajectory=…, burst=false) (C:…\ranged.cpp:319)
#8 00A5664C npc::execute_action(this=0x85cfcc8, g=0x6720020, action=npc_shoot, target=0) (C:…\npcmove.cpp:276)
#9 00A55C8E npc::move(this=0x85cfcc8, g=0x6720020) (C:…\npcmove.cpp:135)
#10 0058EBF4 game::monmove(this=0x6720020) (C:…\game.cpp:3300)
#11 0057CB43 game::do_turn(this=0x6720020) (C:…\game.cpp:411)
#12 0073BD21 main(argc=0, argv=0x3f7275c) (C:…\main.cpp:70)

Well, I think that may be the cause of the most infuriating crash bug that I could not track down, so you are awesome.

Haha, well then, my apologies for not sending the stack trace a week and a half ago :stuck_out_tongue:

how can i make it so i can not get zombies to spawn at the start and i also changed the setting to false and deleted the save folder and it still spawns them at start. how come its not working?