Cataclysm, classic Zombie Survival. In progress

First impressions:
In overall map the parking lot and unexplored tiles are equal.
Do not identify where the entrance of any tile.
The fight with the zombies is very easy, even in large quantity are no longer a danger, just run away from them, maybe a more speed for them??
This version also has the bug of the disappearance of rations when loading a saved game.
I can choose other fonts to play? I use DejaVuSansMono

That’s all for now, I will continue testing it

Despite these details everything seems well and on the way, please continue with the work, thanks

Regards

Excuse my english…

[quote=“nadia911, post:21, topic:156”]First impressions:
In overall map the parking lot and unexplored tiles are equal.
Do not identify where the entrance of any tile.
The fight with the zombies is very easy, even in large quantity are no longer a danger, just run away from them, maybe a more speed for them??
This version also has the bug of the disappearance of rations when loading a saved game.
I can choose other fonts to play? I use DejaVuSansMono

That’s all for now, I will continue testing it

Despite these details everything seems well and on the way, please continue with the work, thanks

Regards

Excuse my english…[/quote]

Not knowing where the entrance is for a tile is something I decided to do. It was a trade off between that or stuff looking the same which irritated me more.

I will fix parking lot.

Zombies is a work in progress. I haven’t added some of the additional types yet, and I will probably increase their speed a bit. So I don’t know how the end result will be yet.
Part of the idea was that your regular old zombie was not suppose to be hard.

What do you mean by;

MRE’s disappear?

And yes you can use other fonts. I just included that one because it scales better IMO.

That’s right, when I save the game I have 5 or 6 MRE-Beef and 7-MRE Vegetables, when loading the saved game I have only one MRE-B and 2 MRE-V, this happens in all versions of Cataclysm, I’ve reported here:
http://www.cataclysm.glyphgryph.com/smf/index.php?topic=156.0

Sounds good your decision regarding the tiles entrances.

Regards

[quote=“nadia911, post:23, topic:156”]That’s right, when I save the game I have 5 or 6 MRE-Beef and 7-MRE Vegetables, when loading the saved game I have only one MRE-B and 2 MRE-V, this happens in all versions of Cataclysm, I’ve reported here:
http://www.cataclysm.glyphgryph.com/smf/index.php?topic=156.0

Sounds good your decision regarding the tiles entrances.

Regards[/quote]

I updated the game with more difficult zombie spawns if you want to check it out.

Also, looking at adding bleeding, which shouldn’t be to hard.

These should bring the difficulty of the game back in line.
My initial idea however is the game probably WONT be as difficult as DDA, that was kind of the point. If you play it smart, dont make a lot of noise, and stay in one place to long, you will probably survive much longer.

All good so far, the game has become slightly more competitive, interesting, very well!
Yet unrealistic weapons are in the game, will be removed? And the rest of the scientific equipment?

Edit:
Any chance to improve the colors to make them look like the Linux distribution?

Thanks for all

Max appreciation for what you’re doing with this, really seems to be going in the right direction in my opinion. As you’ve said, I think it should be a bit easier that DDA, just due to DDA being silly difficult (unless you know all the ins and outs of everything) and relied upon you using all the crazy stuff lying around.

However, my suggestion to still keep it ‘hard’ and realistic would be that instead of making zombies harder/faster/lots of different types it might be better to scale down the player’s weapon damage/armour/gun shops. This would mean that you could keep the shambling hordes and it would be more (as you said) unfortunate circumstances/not being careful/starvation.

This combined with the hopefully soon implemented weather system and maybe a reduction in food (either in the amount to be picked up or in the amount of nourishment it gives) would make for a true survival simulator.

Also, possibly a quick way to get rid of bionics from the start is just to remove the bionics perk? (as it’s an easy fix)

[quote=“nadia911, post:25, topic:156”]All good so far, the game has become slightly more competitive, interesting, very well!
Yet unrealistic weapons are in the game, will be removed? And the rest of the scientific equipment?

Edit:
Any chance to improve the colors to make them look like the Linux distribution?

Thanks for all[/quote]

The color issue has been discussed. It is a windows problem. The colors ARE different, but windows for some reason it is just hard to see. Not much we can do about it.

The unrealistic weapons and science stuff will be removed soon. It would be easier if I had a list of what you guys think should be removed specifically.

[quote=“Binky, post:26, topic:156”]Max appreciation for what you’re doing with this, really seems to be going in the right direction in my opinion. As you’ve said, I think it should be a bit easier that DDA, just due to DDA being silly difficult (unless you know all the ins and outs of everything) and relied upon you using all the crazy stuff lying around.

However, my suggestion to still keep it ‘hard’ and realistic would be that instead of making zombies harder/faster/lots of different types it might be better to scale down the player’s weapon damage/armour/gun shops. This would mean that you could keep the shambling hordes and it would be more (as you said) unfortunate circumstances/not being careful/starvation.

This combined with the hopefully soon implemented weather system and maybe a reduction in food (either in the amount to be picked up or in the amount of nourishment it gives) would make for a true survival simulator.

Also, possibly a quick way to get rid of bionics from the start is just to remove the bionics perk? (as it’s an easy fix)[/quote]

There is already a weather system in game form my knowledge. Sadly I don’t get to actually play much, as I spend most of my time coding and testing stuff. Does it not work properly?

I think you will find that the game is much more difficult with bleeding and the adjustments made with the latest build. Especially early on.

Removing bionics is going to be a process i plan on starting once I get some of the basic stuff implemented. I am almost ready for that.

I think, to keep everything in a realistic way, should be eliminated:

Mutagen
Iodine tablets
Chitinous armor and helmet
Geiger ctr.
EMP grenade
Mininuke
Pheromones
Portal Generator
Vortex stone
Laser pistol
Coilgun
FTK90 Fusion gun
NX17 Charge rifle
G80 Railgun
XM-P Plasma rifle
Fusion blaster
Plutonium cell
Hydrogen
Charge
Fusion blast

Apart would reform the arms and ammunition

In the current game I found several Boomers, but not released their vomit, you’ve changed or was it just coincidence?

Regards

Edit: I have noticed a marked improvement in load times of the game and map, about 40% faster in the current game!!

The weather system works (as in the weather randomly changes) but it doesn’t actually do much other than lower your morale when it rains. I know someone (I can’t remember their name - I think Kevin is also working on it) is working on making it actually have seasons and cause effects such as frostbite and freezing which need to be combated with heat/fire/warm clothes and then causing extra encumberence in the summer/heat.

Obviously the values could be tweaked slightly to make it even harder in CSZ (depending on how hard it is!) to make it more focussed on surviving the elements.

[quote=“nadia911, post:29, topic:156”]I think, to keep everything in a realistic way, should be eliminated:

Mutagen
Iodine tablets
Chitinous armor and helmet
Geiger ctr.
EMP grenade
Mininuke
Pheromones
Portal Generator
Vortex stone
Laser pistol
Coilgun
FTK90 Fusion gun
NX17 Charge rifle
G80 Railgun
XM-P Plasma rifle
Fusion blaster
Plutonium cell
Hydrogen
Charge
Fusion blast

Apart would reform the arms and ammunition

In the current game I found several Boomers, but not released their vomit, you’ve changed or was it just coincidence?

Regards

Edit: I have noticed a marked improvement in load times of the game and map, about 40% faster in the current game!![/quote]

Boomers? Or brutes? I left Brutes in game, so are you sure it isn’t them?

Thanks for the list btw…

Updated main post.

Boomers, not many of them, I must have been 5 or 6 in heavily infected areas.

Edit:

There are a couple of games where you can get good ideas for Cataclysm Classic or Realistic

http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com.ar/p/download.html

http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/21

Here is the list of enemies, I think, would have to take out of the game:

ant larva
giant ant
soldier ant
queen ant
fungal insect
giant fly
giant bee
giant wasp
graboid
giant worm
half worm
triffid
young triffid
queen triffid
creeper hub
creeping vine
biollante
vinebeast
triffid heart
fungaloid
young fungaloid
spore
fungal spire
fungal wall
blob
small blob
C.H.U.D.
one-eyed mutant
crawler mutant
rat king
giant mosquito
giant dragonfly
giant centipede
giant frog
giant slug
dermatik larva
dermatik
Wolf spider
web spider
jumping spider
trap door spider
black widow
dark wyrm
Amigara horror
tentacle dog
Thing
human snail
twisted body
vortex
flying polyp
hunting horror
Mi-go
yugg
gelatinous blob
flaming eye
kreck
blank body
Gozu
shadow
breather
shadow snake
eyebot
manhack
skitterbot
secubot
copbot
molebot
tripod robot
chicken walker
tankbot
exploder

Hallucinations

drugs are mostly highly unrealistic. The painkillers are probably fine as they are, but the stimulant effect in particular is ludicrously unrealistic.

Grack is right out.

Grack is currently commented out of the everywhere due to NPCs distributing it to new players.

Yeah anything drug related tends to be a bit unrealistic, but I think they could still be kept in to an extent. I’d love to see Antibiotics be more important - an interesting idea could be to have that on bleeding there is a (small) chance for the cut to get infected which would require antibiotics.
Furthermore, I’d love if infection then drastically lowered your stats/maxhp/encumbrance for a while (whilst you recovered).
This would further make encounters more feared, as even a single zombie could cause serious infection, and during winter could cause you to be in serious trouble without enough supplies to last you through.

Obviously it’d need to be pretty rare so as not to be an annoyance, but it would keep pharmacies as being useful.

[quote=“Binky, post:37, topic:156”]Yeah anything drug related tends to be a bit unrealistic, but I think they could still be kept in to an extent. I’d love to see Antibiotics be more important - an interesting idea could be to have that on bleeding there is a (small) chance for the cut to get infected which would require antibiotics.
Furthermore, I’d love if infection then drastically lowered your stats/maxhp/encumbrance for a while (whilst you recovered).
This would further make encounters more feared, as even a single zombie could cause serious infection, and during winter could cause you to be in serious trouble without enough supplies to last you through.

Obviously it’d need to be pretty rare so as not to be an annoyance, but it would keep pharmacies as being useful.[/quote]

Actually I could do that… not a bad idea, but maybe for a later build.

My idea is if you dont treat a bleeding wound for a long time it becomes infected.

as detected when a wound is bleeding?

Something like that. I have to think about it…