Cataclysm 40K

Ah, should work then. Sorry about that fail on my part.

Quick question before I go messing anything up. Are hellfire bolts meant to be a separate ammo from regular bolts, or should they be loadable in regular bolters?

Hellfire bolts are regular bolts but spit acid instead of frag. So yes, every kind of bolt is usable in a bolter. For now, at least.

Ah good. It looks like right now there’s a hellfire bolt ammotype that’s different from regular bolt ammotype, so I guess the expected handling is to do realguns-style ammo type overlap so that the existing bolters can be set to use both types of bolter, while allowing for later weapons that might be able to chamber only one type of bolt round.

Yep. That’s what I wanted. I based what I was doing off the realguns code. The 40K universe has ten rounds for a single weapon that is only mentioned tangentially, and not even by it’s real name.

I didn’t know that you coudl define two types of ammo as one default name. The more you know!

Ah, no worries. I’m actually not all that used to how the ammo type overlap works. It looks like realguns mainly uses it by giving certain ammo multiple types, and restricting use of certain ammo by assigning a specific ammotype to a given gun.

It might be possible to give guns multiple ammotypes instead, allowing for a different approach to that, but not sure.

On an unrelated note, I’m amazed at how hard it is to get good info on the lore and stats online. ;w;

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:26, topic:13558”]Ah, no worries. I’m actually not all that used to how the ammo type overlap works. It looks like realguns mainly uses it by giving certain ammo multiple types, and restricting use of certain ammo by assigning a specific ammotype to a given gun.

It might be possible to give guns multiple ammotypes instead, allowing for a different approach to that, but not sure.

On an unrelated note, I’m amazed at how hard it is to get good info on the lore and stats online. ;w;[/quote]

I was looking though the realguns ammotypes just now and… yeah… Forget it.

The problem with 40K is that you really need to play it and read it and just sort of gather information on the universe. There’s not even a real “go here if you want information” place.

mugling was working on adding support for multiple ammotypes for each gun, but responsibilities prevented progress.

Must…resist…urge to snark…

And this is sad as I’m not very exposed to the game proper. ;w;

Cataclysim? Should be Cataclysm, I presume.

…I just saw a silliness. What’s the intended weight of the bolters? Because they’re all in the neighborhood of 20 grams or less, except the flamer which weighs 2.65 pounds or so. o.O

I know about the sillyness of having the Bolters weight 20 grams. They’re supposed to weigh around 18-24 pounds! Honestly, this is just a proof of concept. Also, expect lasguns in a few hours!

Ah right. I kinda figured that you likely meant pounds. XP

And doh, just when I’d been doing rough work on some lasgun proofs of concept last night;

[
	{
    "id": "lasgun_energy",
    "type": "AMMO",
    "name": "lasgun energy",
    "description": "Power supplied from a very energy-dense battery, most notably used in lasguns.",
    "volume": 0,
    "price": 0,
    "symbol": "=",
    "color": "red",
    "range" : 10,
    "damage" : 20,
    "ammo_type": "laspack"
    },

{
	"id" : "laspack",
	"name" : "power pack",
	"default" : "lasgun_energy",
	"type" : "ammunition_type"
	},

{
    "id": "M35_lasgun",
    "type": "GUN",
    "name": "M35 M-Galaxy Short pattern lasgun",
    "description": "A standard directed-energy weapon widely produced and used as the basic infantry weapon of the Imperial Guard.  Uses rechargeable power packs that allow prolonged usage at standard intensity settings.",
    "weight": 2300,
    "volume": 8,
    "price": 60000,
    "to_hit": -1,
    "bashing": 8,
    "material": [ "steel", "plastic" ],
    "symbol": "(",
    "color": "yellow",
    "ammo": "laspack",
    "skill": "rifle",
    "range": 30,
    "ranged_damage": 4,
    "pierce": 15,
    "dispersion": 10,
    "durability": 8,
    "loudness": 12,
    "valid_mod_locations": [ [ "accessories", 4 ], [ "grip", 1 ], [ "rail", 1 ], [ "sights", 1 ], [ "stock", 1 ], [ "underbarrel", 1 ] ],
    "ammo_effects": [ "LASER", "INCENDIARY" ],
    "flags": [ "NEVER_JAMS" ],
    "magazines": [ [ "laspack" , [ "LasPistolPack_40", "LasGunPack_80" ] ] ]
  },

{
    "id": "MG_laspistol",
    "name": "MG 'Defender' pattern laspistol",
    "description": "A compact directed-energy weapon used as a sidearm by officers in the Imperial Guard.  Subject to less standardization compared to lasguns, this variant is mainly used by the Cadian Shock Troopers.",
    "weight": 860,
    "volume": 2,
    "price": 45000,
    "skill": "pistol",
    "range": 10,
    "valid_mod_locations": [ [ "accessories", 2 ], [ "grip", 1 ], [ "rail", 1 ], [ "sights", 1 ], [ "stock", 1 ], [ "underbarrel", 1 ] ],
    "magazines": [ [ "laspack" , [ "LasPistolPack_40" ] ] ]
  },

{
    "id": "LasPistolPack_40",
    "type": "MAGAZINE",
    "name": "laspistol power pack",
    "description": "A rechargable power pack designed primarily for use with laspistols, but can be loaded into lasguns if desperate.  Holds enough energy for around 40 shots at standard intensity.",
    "weight": 100,
    "volume": 1,
    "price": 5000,
    "material": "superalloy",
    "symbol": "#",
    "color": "light_gray",
    "ammo_type": "laspack",
    "capacity": 40,
    "reliability": 10,
    "reload_time": 120,
    "flags": [ "RECHARGE", "NO_UNLOAD" ],
    "artifact_data" : { "charge_type": "ARTC_SOLAR" }
    },

{
    "id": "LasGunPack_80",
    "name": "lasgun power pack",
    "description": "A rechargable power pack designed primarily for use with lasguns.  Holds enough energy for around 80 shots at standard intensity.",
    "weight": 200,
    "volume": 3,
    "price": 75000,
    "capacity": 80,
    },
]

Only thing I hadn’t figured out was how to refill them using batteries, plutonium cells, or fire. :V

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:33, topic:13558”]Ah right. I kinda figured that you likely meant pounds. XP

And doh, just when I’d been doing rough work on some lasgun proofs of concept last night;

[
	{
    "id": "lasgun_energy",
    "type": "AMMO",
    "name": "lasgun energy",
    "description": "Power supplied from a very energy-dense battery, most notably used in lasguns.",
    "volume": 0,
    "price": 0,
    "symbol": "=",
    "color": "red",
    "range" : 10,
    "damage" : 20,
    "ammo_type": "laspack"
    },

{
	"id" : "laspack",
	"name" : "power pack",
	"default" : "lasgun_energy",
	"type" : "ammunition_type"
	},

{
    "id": "M35_lasgun",
    "name": "M35 M-Galaxy Short pattern lasgun",
    "description": "A standard directed-energy weapon widely produced and used as the basic infantry weapon of the Imperial Guard.  Uses rechargeable power packs that allow prolonged usage at standard intensity settings.",
    "weight": 2300,
    "volume": 8,
    "price": 60000,
    "skill": "rifle",
    "range": 30,
    "valid_mod_locations": [ [ "accessories", 4 ], [ "grip", 1 ], [ "rail", 1 ], [ "sights", 1 ], [ "stock", 1 ], [ "underbarrel", 1 ] ],
    "magazines": [ [ "laspack" , [ "LasPistolPack_40", "LasGunPack_80" ] ] ]
  },

{
    "id": "MG_laspistol",
    "name": "MG 'Defender' pattern laspistol",
    "description": "A compact directed-energy weapon used as a sidearm by officers in the Imperial Guard.  Subject to less standardization compared to lasguns, this variant is mainly used by the Cadian Shock Troopers.",
    "weight": 860,
    "volume": 2,
    "price": 45000,
    "skill": "pistol",
    "range": 10,
    "valid_mod_locations": [ [ "accessories", 2 ], [ "grip", 1 ], [ "rail", 1 ], [ "sights", 1 ], [ "stock", 1 ], [ "underbarrel", 1 ] ],
    "magazines": [ [ "laspack" , [ "LasPistolPack_40" ] ] ]
  },

{
    "id": "LasPistolPack_40",
    "name": "laspistol power pack",
    "description": "A rechargable power pack designed primarily for use with laspistols, but can be loaded into lasguns if desperate.  Holds enough energy for around 40 shots at standard intensity.",
    "weight": 100,
    "volume": 1,
    "price": 5000,
    "capacity": 40,
    },

{
    "id": "LasGunPack_80",
    "name": "lasgun power pack",
    "description": "A rechargable power pack designed primarily for use with lasguns.  Holds enough energy for around 80 shots at standard intensity.",
    "weight": 200,
    "volume": 3,
    "price": 75000,
    "capacity": 80,
    },
]

Only thing I hadn’t figured out was how to refill them using batteries, plutonium cells, or fire. :V[/quote]

BASTARD! You made it so good! cri

Nuuu. It’s still derp. ;w;

Though any parts of code that’re desirable in your implementation, go ahead and use whatever works best.

EDIT: Though as with the orky stuff I posted, I still haven’t load-tested it yet, so dropping it directly into anything might not be good just yet.

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:35, topic:13558”]Nuuu. It’s still derp. ;w;

Though any parts of code that’re desirable in your implementation, go ahead and use whatever works best.

EDIT: Though as with the orky stuff I posted, I still haven’t load-tested it yet, so dropping it directly into anything might not be good just yet.[/quote]

Yeah but it’s more Orky that way.

I wonder if there’s a way to have a different magazine for the lasguns that take twice the amount of charge but output half the shots.

Have since tested my lasgun additions and they seem to not load-error anything.

As for that, yeah you can. Easiest way is to make a hotshot power pack as a magazine, and have it default to being loaded with a different ammo that does more damage, while having said magazine use a lower capacity and lower reliablity.

Then controlling use of hotshot powerpacks is as simple as doing stuff like having long-las weapons use them as their allowed (maybe only, unsure if long-las can use standard power packs) magazine, disallow hotshot packs from being used in laspistols, etc.

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:37, topic:13558”]Have since tested my lasgun additions and they seem to not load-error anything.

As for that, yeah you can. Easiest way is to make a hotshot power pack as a magazine, and have it default to being loaded with a different ammo that does more damage, while having said magazine use a lower capacity and lower reliablity.

Then controlling use of hotshot powerpacks is as simple as doing stuff like having long-las weapons use them as their allowed (maybe only, unsure if long-las can use standard power packs) magazine, disallow hotshot packs from being used in laspistols, etc.[/quote]

I just committed a new branch and I’m about to update the master. This one is the Imperial update and adds some commisar clothing and the lasgun that you made, along with my own and a laspistol.

And I just found some problems in it! kill me now…

Load tests are your friiiieeend. <3

Everything is fixed and the loader/debugger/omgsuchagoodfeature!!! didn’t find any problems. Super duper thank you! For everything. Everyone here is just so nice and knowable about code and spelling.