Cata Clean

This is my mod, Cata Clean, which removes some items, such as drugs, undergarments, and beer. I am very new to this, so if you have any feedback, it would be appreciated. If I have missed something please let me know. If NPC speech ever gets moved to JSON, I will also remove cussing and put that into this mod. Unzip this into data/mods and select it the next time you gen a new world. To change the professions to match, copy the professions file from the mod folder into the data/json folder and overwrite the old professions file, which I will keep backed up as original_professions.backup. Just change the extension to .json on that and you get the normal professions back.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgrokbk98adc5z8/Cata_Clean.zip?dl=0

I had to chuckle when I realized that this game is actually made more kid-safe by removing undergarments.

You’re forgetting the bondage gear, whips, vibrators, corsets, spitter zombies (…look at any lfd2 machinima), and psychopath trait.

Also the blood. The gallons and gallons of blood. Someone really should add blood physics so I can pull a dwarf and drown a squirrel in a pool of blood.

I’m not entirely sure how that works (I know I wore undergarments when I was a kid. Some had cartoon characters!) but censors gonna censor.

Cataclysm: Thomas Bowdler Edition

Okay I can dig removing drugs and booze and stuff for a Bowdlerized game mod (heaven forbid anybody should ingest recreational intoxicants or therapeutic pharmaceuticals) but why underwear? Are we as a culture so irreparably broken that a pair of undershorts is now considered ‘bad’?

There’s a reason they’re sometimes called, “unmentionables”.
Though I honestly thought we’d gotten past that sort of thing.

Items mentioned above are already blocked. Uploaded new version now that is updated to the new winter ready profession gear. Sometimes little eyes can happen to fall on the computer, and I also just personally prefer to have this stuff out. Also, what do you mean by “gallons and gallons of blood”? That only really occurs if a) you are bleeding b) you pulp a corpse c) if you shoot something or d) you happen upon a special with a bit of blood. I really don’t care for gore in a game, but that is tame compared to most games today, and really doesn’t affect my experience at all. Are there ways to blacklist traits and professions? It seems that I will have to replace the old professions somehow, because I want to remove some and the rest I need to edit starting inventory. Can I somehow replace the professions.json file with the mod without deleting the normal, nonmodded one? The no revival mod seems to do something like this with the main.lua, but I have no idea how.

Probably.

Best advice I can give is that if you’re not comfortable explaining your game to the kids, evidently you’re not comfortable playing it when they’re around. That seems a simpler solution.

I also have other reasons for doing this, but mainly I wanted to do it to start modding.

EDIT: New Version up that contains the normal professions file, renamed to original_professions and a new one that can be dragged into the json folder to removes some professions and any items from the blacklist.

If it’s something you wanna make go ahead (not saying I’m gonna use it but then hey, I don’t have little kids around). PErsonally I think it’s cool that you are making such a thing, reminds me of a similar project that Dwarf Fortress (which is by far worse than Cata in most things) pulled together once.

And we’re always happy to welcome more modders, since they are often only a small step away from being contributors themselves. :slight_smile:

Ya now that I have done some work with this and some code diving, I am looking at ways I can contribute, mostly with content since I have very little true programming experience. Thanks for the support, and I agree that DF would be much harder to do this with :slight_smile:

I’m not entirely sure how that works[/quote]
Because Cataclysm has no graphics, any possible kid-unsafe aspect regarding undergarments would come from their description: how they “protect your modesty” and such (though, yes, I agree that isn’t very bad). Whereas in most games (best example I can think of is Skyrim) the removal of undergarments has the opposite effect. Obviously.

A mod to completely clean Cata will also require removal of the explosions of blood and guts that occur when you slam vehicles, explosives and high-caliber bullets into fleshy things.

Has anyone else downloaded and used this yet? I want to make sure my download is working for others.

I’ve done a search, and no one has even remotely attempted one of these for df. There are, however, dozens of mods to add dicks and tits.

So congrats op, you might be the first person to attempt to censor a roguelike.

I do hope you’re not talking about Obok Meatgod…

[quote=“Daidalon, post:14, topic:7584”]I’ve done a search, and no one has even remotely attempted one of these for df. There are, however, dozens of mods to add dicks and tits.

So congrats op, you might be the first person to attempt to censor a roguelike.[/quote]

There has been at least one modder that kiddiefied df. There are not dozens of mods to add penis and breasts.

I’m not entirely sure how that works[/quote]
Because Cataclysm has no graphics, any possible kid-unsafe aspect regarding undergarments would come from their description: how they “protect your modesty” and such (though, yes, I agree that isn’t very bad). Whereas in most games (best example I can think of is Skyrim) the removal of undergarments has the opposite effect. Obviously.

A mod to completely clean Cata will also require removal of the explosions of blood and guts that occur when you slam vehicles, explosives and high-caliber bullets into fleshy things.[/quote]

I would also suggest removal of all death in Cata Clean. Zombies should just be sleepwalkers and all beings should just feint when hit with foam bats and nerf darts. Teddy bears and puppies can play dead.

I do hope you’re not talking about …[/quote]

… I … was under the impression that was one of the thou shalt not mention the name of dirty little secrets of the DF community.

You mean Goblin Fortress? :stuck_out_tongue:

And there have been a few people who have kidified DF, though most of them didn’t actually finish totally, and the last one that I know of to try was with 40d, so that would be something like 5 years back now.

I continually find it amazing that I pass my research papers with As (usually).

Anyways, yeah, there are a ton of “dirty” or “adult” mods for df. Google it with safe search off, preferably with images closed and not at work.