Child friendly/no drug mod request

Hey crew, been playing… awhile. Just wanted to request if anyone with the know how could create a child friendly or mostly no drug mod. My daughter has started learning how to play, and I have to supervise her the whole time. While I’m all for the adult version being vanilla, I’d like to not have to look over her shoulder while she plays.

I know no one is paid to do any of this and I appreciate any additions to this game I would like someone who wants to expand the gaming audience to take this on. I’ve told my daughter time and again that if she masters this game, even the newest most complicated xbox games will fall to her superior gaming abilities.

You’re an amazing parent, you know that?

As for a No-drug mod, you may want to exclude some other things as well, like human jerky or a vibrator.

So you don’t have any problem with the violence in the game that leaves a sufficiently strong character splattering blood, flesh scraps, and brain matter in a 4x4 square around the area of impact or the psychological conundrum of killing by the hundreds things that were once indeed human? Or the simply depressing atmosphere of finding groups of dead humans scattered around, with no identification or personification that they were ever once real people with dreams and feelings and having to accept the fact that they just died for no higher purpose in a fit of enraged animal violence without really leaving a meaningful mark on the world as it stands? You aren’t disturbed by the horrific bodily damage that the player character can go through, having his/her limbs shattered, being infested with a brain-eating parasite, having insect larvae or fungal spores be injected into their body and cause them horrific pain, only for the parasites to forcibly burst through their skin later? Being literally burned away by highly-concentrated acid or molten lava, stepping on a landmine or shotgun trap and being torn to shreds?

But you have a problem with the ability to smoke crack?

Well, I don’t want to put words in anyones mouth, but I think the problem with drugs is that, unlike all the things you’ve mentioned, they are accesible in real world and dangerous if taken lightly.

But yeah, almost every roguelike out there seems too brutally realistic for kids. Not that I didn’t play SplatterHouse 3 in my childhood days or anything.

drugs are real but so it violence so how can removing the drugs be making this game more appealing to kids?.

That and the blood spatters from zombies etc.

I am a parent my self and kind of understand where ya coming from

“drugs are bad ummmm K”

But so is slashing zombies etc with a sword or poking them in the eye with a stick lol

Any way I am all ways up for extra features to be turned on and off so yeah if some one can do this for you I cant see why it should not be added to main brance :slight_smile:

[quote=“cavefish, post:4, topic:6691”]Well, I don’t want to put words in anyones mouth, but I think the problem with drugs is that, unlike all the things you’ve mentioned, they are accesible in real world and dangerous if taken lightly.

But yeah, almost every roguelike out there seems too brutally realistic for kids. Not that I didn’t play SplatterHouse 3 in my childhood days or anything.[/quote]

You do have a point, actually. Smoking meth to understand advanced electronics and generally get more shit done is a proven and effective strategy in Cataclysm, but part of playing video games is understanding that there are differences between fantasy and reality.

Wha, Deadmerits! I didn’t know you had a kid. Kewl.

Anyway, there should be a way of removing drugs and blood splatter from the game.

And how old is your daughter, DM? [size=3pt]You don’t have to answer that if you don’t want too…[/size]

I think his problem is that in Cataclysm, drugs are good mmmkay. As long as you don’t do it too often, it’s totally a great idea to smoke some meth.

Violence against zombies isn’t really that bad. I mean… we all saw Bambi’s mom get shot, saw a ton of dragons get “slayed” in movies and books, and at a very young age we get exposed to the historical horrors of things like slavery.

I was exposed to violence at a very young age through movies like Saving Private Ryan or playing Doom, and all it did to me was realize how frail life is. A single click and it can be destroyed. Since he clearly discusses gaming with his daughter, it can only lead to a more positive outcome since he can direct her through experiences and answer her questions and keep things in perspective.

I’ll do it deadmerits. Tell me everything you want removed and I can make this real quick.

If you are playing experimental I think you can copy one of the blacklist mod .jsons rename it (the folder and the linses ident and name), and then add the identifiers for the drugs to the item_blacklist list.

The item identifiers should be under Data>jsons>items and they should be in the comestibles.json (While your operating system may not recognize the extension you should be able to open and read the files with any text editor like notepad or wordpad) The identifier that points to the item when you put it under the blacklist is the entry for “id”.

You should get a blacklist mod that looks something like this:

[ { "type": "MOD_INFO", "mod-type": "SUPPLEMENTAL", "ident": "no_hdrugs", "name": "Disable harddrugs", "author": "Greiger", "description": "Removes some illegal drugs from the game", "path": "modinfo.json" },{ "type": "ITEM_BLACKLIST", "items": [ "weed", "seed_weed", "coke", "meth", "heroin", "joint", "joint_lit", "joint_roach", "crack" ] } ]
Adding and removing stuff as you wish. with the ids in parenthesis. Note that you also need commas after every entry except the last one. Don’t put a comma after the last entry or the debugger pitches a fit.

If you are not using an experimental version with blacklist capability you will need to go through the jsons and remove the entries by hand. Which is a bit harder, but not insurmountable. In this case each entry starts with a { and ends with a }. Again commas need to be between entries except the last.

Hope this is helpful.

EDIT: Or Bonevomit could do it for you, that too.

P.S. This mod does not indicate a particular personal stance on drugs ingame or in real life. Someone asked for assistance, I have attempted to provide that assistance.

Thank you so much guys. With Greiger’s post I’ll be able to take care of this.
Oh and thank you for the offer bonevomit.