Can't wield fists?

I am completely new to Cataclysm, so I apologize if this is a silly question, but I can’t seem to get my character to equip his fists, in order to fight unarmed (he knows Dragon Kung Fu, apparently). I hit “w” which brings up the inventory screen, then “-”, as per the instructions, but it just says “never mind” and my guy is still equipping a screwdriver. I tried using “_” instead, but that didn’t work either. I also tried both the “-” on my regular keyboard and the “-” on my numerical keypad, but no luck.

I am using the latest Windows SDL release (0.A, “Kaufman”) if that matters.

It should say your fighting style under what you’re weilding.

And _ is the right thing.

Hit ‘w’ or ‘T’ then the letter of the currently wielded item. I may be wrong here, but I believe ‘-’ was made into a valid inventory letter, and the special behavior of unweilding was removed.

Yeah, I figured out that “w” followed by the letter corresponding to my weapon would unwield it, allowing me to fight unarmed again. Zombies killed me anyway, though.

Thanks!

Oh, you meant you wanted to drop the thing you’re holding so you can use your fists…

Press w then the item letter of what you’re holding.

Also you need to have dragon style selected to use it with ^ key If I recall. Otherwise its default at “normal” style.

^ key is to control vehicles. It’s _

Yea that! I always get the numeral alt keys mixed up. Ill usually hit three wrong commands before finding the one I need :lol:

While on the topic of martial arts, what is everyones preferred style? I gather most players use dragon. IMO scorpion style is pretty good.

[quote=“Zargen, post:8, topic:6117”]Yea that! I always get the numeral alt keys mixed up. Ill usually hit three wrong commands before finding the one I need :lol:

While on the topic of martial arts, what is everyones preferred style? I gather most players use dragon. IMO scorpion style is pretty good.[/quote]

Depends on your character and situation. Smart people do well with Dragon. Strong folks are better served by Centipede or Tiger; TKD lets you soak damage very effectively using ST but you can find it in-game. Scorpion has piles of knockback, so that can help. All the weapon styles are good, but Fencing’s toughest to get compatible weapons with (but a rapier using Fencing does grievous damage FAST).

It’s more styles to avoid rather than best style. Akido is pretty useless ATM, Judo is low-powered but offers counters to some of the nastier Critters, and that’s about it.

Well Judo with monomolecular blade is awesome.

Scorpion is my favorite fall back when I need to run away from something faster than me. Being able to reliably knock something back is a godsend. same with dragon style knockback/stun.