Canning cookbook?

Cucina Italiana could have the canned tomatoes, too. Family cookbook might have broths, and perhaps the meat/fish too: you should be able to vary the difficulties so recipes take more skill to learn from non-canning books (leastwise that’s what I shot for with the original recipe-booking).

Book-only recipes should be available in at least two books, to reduce the Grinding For That One Item issue. Exception is for stuff that would be restricted knowledge (mutagens, lab-grade electronics, etc).

Maybe a few into Cooking on a Budget (“cooking”), since making in bulk and preserving is a solid way to save money? I could also see justification to add some of them to Survival Under Atomic Attack (“atomic_survival”) since that’s more a prepper book than a how to go hiking book.

Good points in both cases. Maybe Autobiography of a Mountain Man? I dunno if said mountain man would have done much actual canning, though.

There is an issue though where the soups sort of sit “on top” of the regular recipes, though, and it’d be hard to justify having recipes for canned soup without also having recipes for canned ingredients. Meaning that books with the canned soups would also have to have the canned ingredient recipes. Meaning at least two books would actually have pretty much all the recipes, making me wonder if a specialty book wouldn’t be superfluous after all, except as a way to add the “two-book” redundancy feature (but even then, there’d be another book out there that’s basically all the canning plus other stuff).

I don’t agree that cookbooks with soups must have the ingredients covered, I’ve run across plenty that don’t start from first principles and just assume you can make certain things.

OK, so “How To Can Anything” or “Food In A Jar” has all the canning recipes, and several books have various recipes for other things.

Again, the issue is that recipes from books are not always written out in cookbook format. Rather, they represent the ability to take an idea from the book and actually make it happen.
Cookbooks are written to be easy to understand and reproduce the result: therefore, it’s usually pretty easy to find and use the recipe (low skill requirement for it to show up in crafting). Survival Under Atomic Attack is poorly written, though, so whilst there’s a pile of useful recipes in there, they all take above-usual skill in the topic to realize “hey, I could do X, Y, and Z and make T!”.

Thus, not every book has to have all the canning recipes just because it contains one. If a book contains the recipe for woods soup, it can probably contain the recipe for canned woods soup, without regard to whether it contains a recipe for canned veggy. The PC would realize that the soup could be cooked and sealed in a jar for later.