Batteries... the final frontier

So although the world seems large enough and everything, what’re we supposed to do when we run out of batteries? And before anyone says “what would you need batteries for, integrated circuit replaces all those tools that need them”… well, it doesn’t replace a radio or mp3 player. I found two thing which needs batteries which can’t be supplanted.

Maybe it’s time we get a radio cbm.

You can always craft em, just save up all those cans.

I was thinking, with dynamic spawn on your can find some flashlights and things, but so far, batteries are limited, even if I have a pile of like 6000 all together (none crafted myself).

I guess I’d just have to turn dynamic spawn on if I ever run out.

Tin/Alu cans + Ammonium = 100 batteries each. Though, sooner or later you will run out of batteries, since you cannot recycle the cans and ammonium will be out too.

But to be honest, last time I was settled with a proper truck of doom, in good repair and everything stocked up, my battery storage was at ~20,000. You won’t believe how many batteries you can salvage out of soldering irons, it’s only 20 each time, but … they sum up. Flashlights the same, unload and drop.

Maybe they implement something like a charger, like put 1000 empty chargeable batteries (electronics 8+) in an modified UPS (12 electronics required maybe), connect that to your solar panels on the car and wait for sunlight.

If a town runs out of batteries for your MP3 player, I guess you should move onto the next town lest you never hear Justin Bieber again.

[quote=“prytoclasm, post:4, topic:2031”]Tin/Alu cans + Ammonium = 100 batteries each. Though, sooner or later you will run out of batteries, since you cannot recycle the cans and ammonium will be out too.

But to be honest, last time I was settled with a proper truck of doom, in good repair and everything stocked up, my battery storage was at ~20,000. You won’t believe how many batteries you can salvage out of soldering irons, it’s only 20 each time, but … they sum up. Flashlights the same, unload and drop.

Maybe they implement something like a charger, like put 1000 empty chargeable batteries (electronics 8+) in an modified UPS (12 electronics required maybe), connect that to your solar panels on the car and wait for sunlight.[/quote]

I haven’t even been picking up batteries <100, like from dissembling. And now that I can make CBMs, crap, dissemble EVERYTHING, though I notice flashlights only give amps.

Well, concentrated acid definitely helps with crafting batteries, but recently I’ve taken a different tact.

I’ve started farming copbots. With the reflex recurve bow and 11 archery, even field tipped wood arrows cream them. I just whack at a pawn shop’s front door and keep the inevitable eyebot close enough to take pictures. Converters, amplifiers, circuit boards, springs, superalloy, solar cells and other electronics gibbons are semi-common drops. I’ve farmed about 5000 units of batteries in a few in-game hours this way.

Holy crap

I haven’t set off many alarms lately, but the only experience I had with the bots was a long time ago, and I got shot alot. I didn’t remember they existed since I haven’t tripped alarms in a while.

Thanks for reminding me, though I might not do that because superalloy being that easy to get seems a little scummy, especially with all that other loot (I’m salivating a little because I have all these burnt out CBMs and not enough power converters)

I don’t think copbots have firearms. They rush you with tasers and expandable batons (which they drop). I hadn’t tried to best a copbot since 0.4, when I tried to kill one with a broadsword (in the days when better cutting weapons were more likely to get stuck in the target). I didn’t really think of it until I noticed that a turret dropped batteries.

Oh, I never saw a cop-bot. I did see a 4 or 6-legged robot turret thing, I wonder if those can still run around.

yeah, a little shock I had was setting off an alarm in a public works building. The room didn’t even have any good loot inside. Thankfully no copbots spawned.

Also, here’s a tip. If you set off an alarm, go hide in a nearby house. They didn’t follow me in and just waited outside shouting ‘come out with your hands up!’ until I went to sleep. then they buggered off.

Pawn shops always seem to spawn them though.

As for batteries, they’re super easy to craft. Tin/alumnium can + Scrap Metal + Lemon/ammonia.

I think the developers should add rechargeable batteries (always in UPS, sometimes in other devices) and some way to recharge them (portable solar charger, bicycle generator).

Diesel (gasoline) generator. They are quite rare, need gas, but hey, they do exist.

Gasoline isn’t renewable.

This. Is. A. Brilliant. Idea.

Gasoline isn’t renewable.[/quote]

Same as ammonia or lemons, unless we can start growing them… Mmmmmm, battery growing farm…

And because of this rechargeable batteries is really good idea.

What would be more effective is like a battery socket on cars, you could use to plug in a UPS, and use a mod on the UPS to support other portable electronics.

Heck, I’d like using a storage battery for tools, solar panels are great.

[quote=“pingpong, post:18, topic:2031”]What would be more effective is like a battery socket on cars, you could use to plug in a UPS, and use a mod on the UPS to support other portable electronics.

Heck, I’d like using a storage battery for tools, solar panels are great.[/quote]

Good idea. Either through car’s panels, or, crafting a big, heavy portable solar power generator, like UPS + storage battery + pannel. Then wiring it into your wire fence… Mwahahaha.