Are boats still planned?

This thread is making my mouth water.

Make Omni lead designer please. His ideas are great.

Boats doesn’t necessarily mean “big ocean” has to be interesting - coastal and river exploration, as well as near-shore or lake island mechanics are all much easier to make fun.

Also, zombie seagulls and zombie whales totally need to be a thing, along with terrifying squidlike nether-creatures.

Perhaps an additional faction of high-density, non-respirating critters that do not do so well outside of water. Aquatic threats could be rare but highly resilient, and the really bad ones are too heavy to swim… Expect them to be attempting to increase surface density with varying success, menacing from the sea-floor, and invading oceanic facilities wearing pressurised armour. They could be at war with the zombie water-life and enthusiastically replacing the local environment, as opposed to most others who seem more interested in coopting the locals or, umm, some of them seem more like tourists with tentacles and are probably only going to take over accidentally by innately warping their surroundings…

New England. Cataclysm takes place in America. Spend less time on reddit.

Perhaps small islands and tankers being a high risk high reward thing? Maybe EXTREME numbers of zombies, and in turn you get a large amount of gas, that would require a boat to haul to land of course :smiley:
What about ocean tides? If you swim too far with too low swimming skill you suddenly sink or get pulled a direction?

[quote=“Blackopsman9999, post:26, topic:5823”]Perhaps small islands and tankers being a high risk high reward thing? Maybe EXTREME numbers of zombies, and in turn you get a large amount of gas, that would require a boat to haul to land of course :smiley:
What about ocean tides? If you swim too far with too low swimming skill you suddenly sink or get pulled a direction?[/quote]
Let’s not forget the hilarity of riptides and rogue waves.

How long does it take to build the Titanic?

Judging by some of the vehicles created so far in the vehicle threads, I’d guess around 2 years in-game with no detours for a decked out cyborg that has several barrels of alcohol or a forest of wood already stockpiled (for bionic power, hydraulic muscles are really useful for dragging metal around), plenty of non-perishable foods, a secure perimeter, and a solar array hooked up to a vehicle welder.

Assuming, of course, that you never sleep.

@coyote Spend less time on reddit? Dafuq? I barely go there. Like… 3 or 4 times… in all the years it’s been up. Anyways Darkfirephoenix already cleared that up so… your too late.

@Blackopsman9999 Why would I haul the oil tanker to land? Purge the zombies and pilot that shit (if it still works) to my Secret Evil Base on a tropical island. Where my npc followers are building a massive submarine carrier with torpedo ports on all facings. While waiting for that shit to finish I’ll sip on my pina colada.

@Kazymir Don’t forget whirlpools! You know… the massive ones that suck entire ships into their watery graves. Stuff from myths.

@Ram Why would you want to build the Titanic? You know what happened to it right? It sunk… to an ice cube… granted it was a very large ice cube, but an ice cube none the less. Not to mention it’s a cruise liner… that means it’s more of a civilian ship. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want that in Cataclysm DDA. You’d need something with more teeth to survive in the oceans of those dark days.

@Weyrling Well… it seems like bionic power is quite stable as long as you have a solar panel CBM and lots of power storage. So maybe it’s that or barrels of alcohol or a forest to burn…

Idea,
Boats should have…
TORPEDOS
"Captain, why is that patrol boat getting closer?"
“Probelbly refugees from the mainl-”
“SIR!! TORPEDO IN THE WATER!!!”
"Oh shi-"
Basically, Im looking for INSANE EXPLOSIONS OF AWESOMENESS
Or just a snack-food called "Torpedo Chips"
That works too.

Makeshift torpedoes and a makeshift torpedo launcher for your boat :smiley:

Boats would need an incredible level of work to be made to work right, starting with completely changing how water works.

Right now, water seems largely static (Correct me if I’m wrong) and unmoving. That’s the first thing that’d need to be changed. Rivers would need to have currents that flow in a proper direction. Then you’d need to add coastline, so that that the rivers have something to flow TO. Not all rivers flow out into the ocean, but the vast majority do. You’d need code it so wind can generate power for sailboats, and you’d need to make it so boats generally follow the current in the absence of countervaling force in the form of an engine, sail, or rowing. I’m just not sure in what oirder all of this would need to be tackled. That said, making water ‘flow’ could make swimming a river a lot more realstically dangerous.

It’s a /ton/ of work from the sounds of it, and that’s before you even get to designing the boats themselves.

You would zombify that which is so holy?

You would zombify that which is so holy?[/quote]
I’m gonna need two bolters for this heresy. Our whale overlords must be protected.

Lol zombie whales

If they’re whales with a small w, it’s fine. If they have a capital W… die, heretic! :smiley: