Android port?

The question that pops up every half a year or so - Any possibility of an android port? … I am looking with such envy at the IOS port and would so love to be able to play it on my android phone on the go.

If someone is working on this, is there anything us mortals non-technical people can do to help? Like beta test, take out your trash, do the laundry, give a back rub, etc … Yup, I’m that desperate :slight_smile:

I know in the past there were some concerns with the space on the screen or key layout, but with the phablets and tablets out there I really think this is workable (look at nethack, dcss, etc.) and it would be so amazing!

Knowing that the game is open source, there might also be other places and people to ask this. However, the game being under general public license or somesuch, it’s illegal to sell it, in case you or million other people might be interested in dishing out $5 for the Android port. But that doesn’t mean you couldn’t make deals behind everyone’s back, such as bribing or convincing people who have experience in developing or porting games into Android’s OS.

The problem is also updates. Cata is under quite rapid development. Of course one could just tackle the ancient and outdated 0.C version.

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:2, topic:12247”]Knowing that the game is open source, there might also be other places and people to ask this. However, the game being under general public license or somesuch, it’s illegal to sell it, in case you or million other people might be interested in dishing out $5 for the Android port. But that doesn’t mean you couldn’t make deals behind everyone’s back, such as bribing or convincing people who have experience in developing or porting games into Android’s OS.

The problem is also updates. Cata is under quite rapid development. Of course one could just tackle the ancient and outdated 0.C version.[/quote]
Cataclysm-DDA is CC-By-Sa 3.0, not GNU General Public License. Cataclysm 2 is GPL. README.txt.
CC-By-Sa 3.0 allows commercial licensing.
The GPL allows charging a fee for transferring a copy to somebody else, and the FSF has a FAQ that says it is okay to commercialize GPL-licensed works in this way.

HMMMMM…

Hehe, this somehow started getting a very shady tone to it.

But you know, licence discussion aside, I think whoever does the work could put it on the play store and just add an option there for separate donations (for example like Pixel Dungeon), I’m sure me and many more people would be willing to throw money at whoever would be interested/have the skill to do this and thus avoid any licence discussions. Please someone correct me if I am wrong in my thinking.

This would also have the added benefit of attracting people who were not even aware of Cataclysm before. The play store is suffering from a severe lack of actual deep and interesting games …

Version wise, if difficult to keep updating after the experimental releases, then perhaps a release once every few months or half a year. I think nobody would object to that, especially considering there is nothing on android right now …

I agree ive dreamed of a fully ported cdda to android but it must be the full version like we get on pc not s toned down version because it might not run this well or that well eg z levels.

Seeing as its an optoin i cant see any issues.

As for paying yep i would donate a little to whomever would port it and maintain it providing it would not be one port grab what they could andnrun

Heh. I’m just generally sick of pointless bureaucracy and will happily succumb to my mild anarcho-capitalistic tendencies. Either that or I just want to give people what they want, especially an open source game on a platform of their choice. But regardless, not GNU, so my thoughts on that were pointless.

Who are the biggest Android games devs or sellers/distributors?