Ambient sounds

I pulled from github, playing with your changes now. This is so freaking amazing! :slight_smile:

I’m afraid they’re not 100% clean- while I’ve been recording a bunch of it, the rest I got off whatever decent internet sources I could find. For that reason it’s probably best to keep it separate from the rest of the game. The sounds reminding you of UFO are most likely the ones I used from Jagged Alliance 2, those 2 games used the same sound libraries.

Don’t worry though, I’ll keep uploading them whenever I make any sort of measurable progress. Everything heard in those videos is already on my Github repo, it’s just that the coding bits aren’t as I’m still trying to polish it up best I can… Currently trying to figure out the JSON in/out part of Cata to rebuild the sound randomizer and extend how sounds are defined in soundset.json, but that bit of code I just can’t seem to make heads or tails of quite yet.

It would help if you added a file that states where you got each sound file from, then someone could pull out the ones that are legal to make an “official” CDDA sound set or something.

Another day, another chapter of C++ for dummies done:

Since I keep forgetting what I’m doing, the post-it note taped on the side of my monitor contains the following checked items:

Player pain and death sound events.
Player stamina sound events.
Dynamic music based on the number of zombies around. (With music lovingly stolen taken from a game about a certain lean individual, you could almost call him… SlimGuy)
Positional audio.
Footy steps based on terrain type.
Sound events for mantling over furniture and other slow terrain.

Next thing in my little checklist is vehicles, I’m still figuring out how I want to go about this as what I’ve tried so far hasn’t been to my liking.

Once again, an epic video and highly enjoyable. I see this as becoming a very popular mod in the future. I love your choice of music for the hordes, hahahahha, it is surprisingly very fitting.

<3 Amazing! Though the hitting/being hit sounds are a bit on the obnoxious side right now.

Nice! I hear positional sound in there!
Pleeease get us some info on which sound samples are free to use, I very much want this in the game.

I did download from github,
then copyed all file to cata folder.

but cant start new game for debug like that.

please help me.

I hope play cata with your mod.

It looks like so great!

FYI lines like this:

soundfxid = _("smash_thump");

can just be:

soundfxid = "smash_thump";

_() is a macro that wraps strings that need to be translated, your internal ids aren’t intended for display to the player, so they don’t need translation.

I just gave the code a quick once-over, and other than that nit it looks great.

@Kevin Thanks! It’s little bits like that which tend to trip me up, things that should be very obvious and aren’t explained because, well they should be obvious to anyone with experience.

I’ll have at the task of combing through everything in the sounds folders and building an attributions file for anything applicable, and in the future, hope to get both the sound I want and a suitable free/PD/CC alternative. Is Cataclysm DDA considered a “commercial product”?

@Leek It’s because you don’t have the code bits that read soundset.json from the data folder yet so the game doesn’t know what to do with it (You would need to be able to compile the game for that), the function is currently working correctly but I’d like to do more through testing to make sure I didn’t screw something up, as well as finish it up properly as there’s no function present to unload sounds at the moment.

Anyways, I put in work on the vehicles front yesterday, got frustrated at not being able to find a solution for pitch shifting sounds and took a break with something a little more fun: https://youtu.be/d3QyLz1B36w

i am understood. …I cannot speak english well… but i can speak that you are a hero. thanks

The levels of awesome involved in this are quite simply beyond my ability to express using text… o_Q

Hi I’m new to this game and i know this maybe a stupid question but how do you download this mod and put the sounds in the game?..is it even called a mod? Sorry I’m kind of new here like i said but man this mod sounds cool…get it “sounds” sorry I’m leaving

Thanks for that, sorry to push the extra work onto you, but it really won’t work without the sound files included.
Cataclysm:DDA should be considered a “commercial product” since our license (Creative Commons By-Attribution Share-alike 3.0 unported) does not preclude commercial use, and the organization behind it (surprise, there is one, it’s called CleverRaven) has accepted money to fund work on the game in the past.

Since I’m talking about it, a PSA:
We have no interest in actively seeking further funding as an organization at this time, and most likely will not ever do so again. However I encourage individual contributors to establish “tip jars” via Patreon, Flattr, Paypal, BitCoin or what have you, which I’d be happy to display prominently on the website, forums, and in the game itself. Also feel free to check out bountysource.com, where we’re set up to accept bounties on issues so you can “encourage” people to work on bugs or features you really want handled.

If you add the license for each individual sound file to your distribution (which is legally necessary anyway), it’s no problem having files with non-commercial restrictions in your separately distributed soundset. It’ll make it harder to ship that soundset with an “official” distribution of CDDA, but with the correct licensing information for each file, it’d at least be possible for someone else to replace the non-commercial files with something else later down the line.

Yes I am thick

How would one add this epic mod to the latest DEV version?.

Please dont say I need to compile it :frowning:

Wow, this is amazing!

If somebody can explain how to do it, I might look into using this with the latest experimental… :slight_smile:

Well hey people seem really eager to get their hands on this! So eager… heh
Good luck CIB, this truly is hype inducing :slight_smile:

Altho i’d rather apologize for cluttering the thread I must point something out.

That right there, That Aavak fella.
He’s the reason you’ve got my… spam, to put up with on the forums :’)
[sup]Yup I’ve found out about CDDA through him.[/sup]

An awesome let’s-player, has a delightful accent and taste in games
And even tho he fancies tea over coffee and constantly rubs it in… He’s also one the main reason i’ve not watched TV in over a year :slight_smile:

I Highly recommend both of his CDDA let’s-plays to all both new and bored :slight_smile:

@stk2008: I’m sorry but yes, you’d need to compile. You’d also need to apply my changes to the latest official source.

@JazzGuru: The quick n’ dirty of it would be to go with one of the easier methods. For me, Code Blocks was the easiest and quickest to setup and get running as it already comes with almost everything needed built-in. I also use Source Tree to interact with Github. Code Blocks is cross platform, though Source Tree only support Windows and Mac, but there’s no shortage of Git clients to pick from if you’re on another type of platform.

Ok, what have I been up to lately? Well, I managed to acquire a serviceable microphone which will allow me to record my own stuff as my previous microphone was outputting straight up useless audio. I’ve set a few dates to go across the border along with my new kit and visit some good ol’ Texan firing ranges for a bit of recording, though this will probably take some time to complete. I also have to wait for some lovely rain to show up so I can record it.

… Did I mention I live in the desert? Anyone know some good rain dances?

On the coding front, remember that pitch shifting function I couldn’t figure out? I finally managed to crack that walnut and produced this silly video: https://youtu.be/-0Mvz_rT7BQ

At the moment it’s not really being used by anything other than removing the so-called “machine gun” effect from burst fire weapons by introducing subtle and random pitch changes to keep each round from sounding “same-y”, in the future though I aim to use the function for manipulating vehicle engine sounds during acceleration and velocity changes.

I dont suppose you could make a quick video guide on how to compile the game together vulkans for us compiling nubs :stuck_out_tongue: <3