Sound effects

What currently has sound effect support:

• Footsteps
  • Door opening/closing
  • Bashing of terrain/furniture

What would you like to see sound effect support for?

Explosions, if its possible to generate sound not centered on the player.

Going with the obvious choices: Melee swings and hits, gunfire and zombie moaning.

Shrieker, turret beep, tankbot (and other robots) targeting, alarms when breaking into buildings, shocker electricity noises, acid spit noises, boomer spit noises, dog barks

what about atmospheric sounds like: Rain/drizzle (different ones for being out in the rain or under a roof) a letsplayer posted on the forum with his playthrough and in his latest versions he edited those sounds in post production, it works really well.

maybe a system to switch atmosphere based on the tile ID (so you can play special atmosphere for underground things like labs or caves), the weather ID and the character being under the opensky. (so you can have variants sounds for the above mentioned rain)

Jabberwock roar

Alert noises for enemies - especially noises that are easily distinguishable* - could be interesting. If you could hear that there’s a zombie hulk around the corner (because it’s gotten just so mad at the sight of an eyebot or something)… maybe you’d decide not to go around that corner. If the sound effects could be attenuated based on their volume/distance/etc, that could help sell that effect (and be neat).

*Think of the original Doom games, where you could immediately tell what had just spotted you based only on its alert noise.

All the different sounds you can hear that generate a notice.

Yeah I trying to run an example of this with my series, its tough to edit them all in afterwards but I think its a good look a what we might be able to do one day. I’m limited in what sounds I can use due to copyright and I’m sure it would be the same story for here. If you interested I’ve got them in from Episode 8 onwards.

Sound effect support is in experimental now. You can find some documentation here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CIB/Cataclysm-DDA/sound/doc/SOUND_EFFECTS.txt

That also contains a full list of all sound effects supported by the game thus far.

Yes, that’d be nice, but it’d require separate coding from the map sound effect system I put in. Basically there’d have to be a mixer channel for “ambient sounds” that plays on a loop, kind of like music, except it would depend on the current weather and all that. I don’t currently have the time to make that happen, sadly.

Rycon, you and me should sit down with some public domain cartoons and rip some sounds for this game.

I’ve built a pack out of sounds from the only game with more guns than Cataclysm: Jagged Alliance 2. It really adds a whole lot to the game!

Another action for sound support could be reloading guns, though if possible it’d be better for the variant to be the gunid rather than the ammoid.

Another action for sound support could be reloading guns, though if possible it'd be better for the variant to be the gunid rather than the ammoid.

Both are equally easy. I can change gun fire variants from ammo to gun as well if that is deemed better. The problem with gun reloading is that AFAIK it doesn’t actually make a noise in game currently (should that be fixed?)

Now that you mention it, reloading doesn’t produce any sort of sound, it just adjusts your current recoil. I think it’d be worth calling for sound just for the sake of hooking a sound file to it.

The reasons why it’d be better to go for weaponid rather than ammoid on weapon_fire are because some weapons that fire the same caliber have different firing mechanism (Think pump shotgun vs auto loading shotgun, bolt rifle vs auto rifle, crossbow vs pneumatic gun, etc…) and it’d be nice to assign specific sounds to them. The other reason is that I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to add sound to the laser guns. Maybe I’m missing something really obvious but I tried adding UPS as an ammo variant and it didn’t seem to work.

Another thing I noticed is that smash->door/window plays the assigned sound when you destroy the terrain by shooting it, but it doesn’t seem to play when you smash it with the S key, only the bash sound plays.

Anyway, some more suggestions: Maybe add support to call for random sounds out of a set, so that you can have a range of sounds defined (Say, m16shot1.ogg through m16shot4.ogg) for any given sound event and have the game call a random one when that sound plays.

Any particular reason why the mixer is set to run at 22050hz in sdltiles.cpp? I changed it to 44100hz, recompiled and other than clearer sounding audio, I didn’t notice any negative effects.

For the footstep event, is it possible to only allow one instance of the sound to be playing at any given time? I tend to hold down my keypad keys a lot in this game, and doing this produces overlapping versions of the sound to play on top of each other.

I spent most of yesterday tinkering with audio files on Audition slowly filling out most of the provided events. It’s a great feature, thanks for adding it to the game!

Edit: Sometimes it’s the most obvious things- the reason why the laser guns weren’t producing any sound is because they don’t have a loudness tag in the json file. Adding “loudness : 4” makes them play sounds when using UPS as a variant.

Yeah and even a textual noise message might be atmospheric in text mode. I added support for that, you can set the reload noise of a weapon with the JSON property “reload_noise_volume” and the string with “reload_noise”.

The reasons why it'd be better to go for weaponid rather than ammoid on weapon_fire are because some weapons that fire the same caliber have different firing mechanism (Think pump shotgun vs auto loading shotgun, bolt rifle vs auto rifle, crossbow vs pneumatic gun, etc...) and it'd be nice to assign specific sounds to them.

Okay, changed it to weapon ID.

Another thing I noticed is that smash->door/window plays the assigned sound when you destroy the terrain by shooting it, but it doesn't seem to play when you smash it with the S key, only the bash sound plays.

Correct, bashing with the S key doesn’t actually trigger the smashing noise for the terrain. So taking down a wall is no louder than regularly hitting it (in fact it’s a little more quiet). Funny what kind of stuff you end up noticing if you actually can listen to the sound rather than just reading it, huh?

Anyway, some more suggestions: Maybe add support to call for random sounds out of a set, so that you can have a range of sounds defined (Say, m16shot1.ogg through m16shot4.ogg) for any given sound event and have the game call a random one when that sound plays.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea. I have a pretty long list and not a lot of time unfortunately.

Any particular reason why the mixer is set to run at 22050hz in sdltiles.cpp? I changed it to 44100hz, recompiled and other than clearer sounding audio, I didn't notice any negative effects.

Oops.

For the footstep event, is it possible to only allow one instance of the sound to be playing at any given time? I tend to hold down my keypad keys a lot in this game, and doing this produces overlapping versions of the sound to play on top of each other.

Yeah it’s pretty silly. But I don’t know if that’d make it any better.

You never quite realize just how many guns this game has until you have to go item by item through ranged.json.

Enough people have asked about one of my previous posts that I decided to start uploading the products of my crazy misadventures into giving Cataclysm sounds. I’ve only done gun sounds, some rudimentary melee and terrain interaction sounds for now, I’ll continue mixing together melee sounds until I go through all the possible iterations and when more sound events are supported, I’ll go about finding sounds for them as well.

Anyways, more observations- as I was testing, I stepped into a FEMA camp, shot some guy and almost instantly got this in the debug log: “Failed to play sound effect: No free channels available” Probable reason being that there’s about 50 trillion zombies there all bashing tent walls simultaneously which is probably clogging up the mixer, after that only certain sounds would play and others would not. Stepping away from the camp restored functionality.

Love your work guys, I’m going to be doing some atmospheric recordings once my schedule allows for it so here’s hoping I can supply you all with some high quality weather effects and other general effects. I don’t have access to firearms so that’s a no go unfortunately haha.

This adds so much to the game. Especially doors closing for some reason. Keep it up.

This is great work I was really hopeing for something like this. I also had seen Rycon’s C:DDA roleplay and was quite impressed with the added sound effects. Doing this post process tho is quite time consuming. The fact that this is being added to the core game makes me way more happy than it should. Keep up the good work.