Adding new mutation categories

I tried adding a new mutation tree replete with items and recipes, but when I try to use the mutagen I created for the mutation tree I added it does absolutely nothing. No mutations or pain are added and there is no increase in hunger thirst or tiredness. I tested everything about the modification and it all works with the exception of that. I tried looking at the mutagen.json file for help as well as the .cpp mutation files and the mutation_category.json for possible solutions, but nothing is forthcoming at the moment. Can anybody provide some advice as to how I may fix my problem?

Looks like mutation category is not defined.
You need to:

[ul][li]Define the mutagen, give it “MUTAGEN_category-name-here” flag, for example “MUTAGEN_BAT”[/li]
[li]Define the category, like in mutation_category. The most important part is the “category” field. For the example above, it would be “category”: “BAT”[/li]
[li]Ensure the flag is exactly “MUTAGEN_” + category[/li][/ul]

The mutagen code will not warn about categories not being found because it is badly written and old.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:2, topic:12461”]Looks like mutation category is not defined.
You need to:

[ul][li]Define the mutagen, give it “MUTAGEN_category-name-here” flag, for example “MUTAGEN_BAT”[/li]
[li]Define the category, like in mutation_category. The most important part is the “category” field. For the example above, it would be “category”: “BAT”[/li]
[li]Ensure the flag is exactly “MUTAGEN_” + category[/li][/ul]

The mutagen code will not warn about categories not being found because it is badly written and old.[/quote]

I was a little nonplussed at this since this is what I did, but I double and triple checked and then copy pasted what I wrote there in other relevant places just to be sure and it ended up working despite no discernible change happening on my part. I probably just messed up somewhere and I didn’t notice.

So after I tested to make sure the mutagens and serums were correctly adding mutations I found out that the serum wasn’t adding the threshold mutation and I cannot seem to puzzle out why. This is the code I wrote out for the threshold in particular - I just copied it from another threshold mutation - and I can’t find anything that seems off about it. Everything else I can test is working so far (the threshold mutation is working as a requirement) so I don’t know how to proceed.

“type” : “mutation”,
“id” : “THRESH_TORTOISE”,
“name” : “Tortoise”,
“points” : 1,
“description” : “Now that you have your shell you can take your time with this survival business.”,
“valid”: false,
“purifiable”: false,
“threshold”: true

Also I appreciate the help you are giving me, thanks a bunch!

Could be just not enough mutations in the category. Thresholds require you to have one tree dominate over others. The chance to cross depends on ratio of current tree level vs total mutations levels. Meaning that trees with large crossovers will have low chances of crossing.
You also need at least 6 in-tree mutations to ever get a chance to cross.

Alright, I got it all to work out. I just had to mess with the mutation categories a ton and do some other nonsense. Thanks a ton for the help by the way! Now all I need to do is figure out how to remove mutation categories from mutations and modify mutation attacks using only mod files.