Actual snipers/Ghillie suits

[font=georgia]I think itd be cool for actual snipers to be in cataclysm, like the SVD/Dragunov (to fit in with the Kalashnikov series) maybe the DMR etc etc. A long range highpowered rifle, but with a slow reload maybe so people dont just go running around the town with a OP weapon with quick reloading

And the other thing is ghillie suit, so, when they make it depending on factors if a zombie sees you or not (rain, how far away etc) that could be one, but its cumbersome.

The second ones sorta stupid but meh. Theres my ideas[/font]

[font=impact]No VSS Vintorez

Shameful…Just…Shameful. Pro on the Drag though. They have finicky mags don’t they? That would fit with the long reloads.

As for your ideas…Support!

This game needs more gun pron.[/font]

any other snipers that could be added? Like the Lee Enfield with a scope? Their bolt action so itd take awhile to reload/fire

There are already several bolt action rifles in Cataclysm.

The Remington 700 and Savage 111F are both accurate enough to get headshots on enemies at the edge of view distance on a sunny day, with reasonable weapon skill.

[font=comic sans ms]
I would support this, but I also have some suggestions.
Firstly I would want some item to increase view distance. So for example you are taking a hike in the mountains (fields) and you have to get within x squares normally. But with this item (scope, short distance binoculars, other?) you would be able to snipe that zombie/spider/whathaveyou from several fields away.
Also maybe the ghillie suits could give you the inconspicuous trait? Just a thought.

[/font]

And let us not forget the sniper conversion mod.

FYI, there’s a technical reason that the active area is the size it is. The size of the active area is the biggest contributor to CPU load in the game (outside of some weird scenarios), so enlarging it to allow something like this is difficult.

Alternately to enlarging it, it may be possible to have a “scope view” mode for binoculars and scopes that allows you to scan around outside this range, but this is a really tricky piece of programming, and even after getting it working it would require very careful balancing.

Still, it’s something that we’d be interested in doing.

It’s a shame the game doesn’t model the player’s orientation. If the game knew you were facing east, for example, then you could have scopes and active binoculars give the player ‘tunnel vision’ where they can’t see behind them but have a narrower field of view in a much longer distance in that direction, using the same number of visible tiles.

Actually you could do this with binoculars now. ‘Activate’ them and pick a direction with the keypad, and it will do as above and remain that way until you deactivate them.

That would provide some interesting situations where you are using binoculars to scope onto a town and take long-range shots with a rifle(or just moving around trying to recon a town before you raid it), and totally don’t see the bear creeping up behind you because you just have no vision there until you deactivate the binoculars.

But yeah, coding that would be tough.

Yeah, but we want actual snipers, not sniper conversions like a Scar-L sniper converted

[quote=“Hyena Grin, post:8, topic:1020”]It’s a shame the game doesn’t model the player’s orientation. If the game knew you were facing east, for example, then you could have scopes and active binoculars give the player ‘tunnel vision’ where they can’t see behind them but have a narrower field of view in a much longer distance in that direction, using the same number of visible tiles.

Actually you could do this with binoculars now. ‘Activate’ them and pick a direction with the keypad, and it will do as above and remain that way until you deactivate them.

That would provide some interesting situations where you are using binoculars to scope onto a town and take long-range shots with a rifle(or just moving around trying to recon a town before you raid it), and totally don’t see the bear creeping up behind you because you just have no vision there until you deactivate the binoculars.

But yeah, coding that would be tough.[/quote]

YES. Id love to see that so itd give binoculars a bit more use to me except mapping. And you could do the same with the sniper too, ie look down the sight.

What is the Remington 700, if it is not a sniper rifle?

Both the U.S. Army's M24 Sniper Weapon System and U.S. Marine Corps' M40 sniper rifles are built from the Remington Model 700 rifle

And what would a “real sniper” be capable of, that existing long range bolt action rifles aren’t?

Maybe he is thinking of anti-material rifles? Those massive sniper rifles that you see in games? They are for disabling vehicles. They look appropriately impressive and have become synonymous with snipers even though they aren’t typically used to fire on live targets (because it would be horrible overkill and those bullets are expensive).

I really dunno. But yeah, I agree, most actual snipers in the military use the model 700. I’m not sure what else you can ask for really. I wouldn’t mind seeing the dragunov but as far as I’m aware there’s not too many of them in the US, so it’d need to be rare (even though it isn’t really any better at being a sniper rifle than the model 700). In any case, I definitely don’t think the game needs a .50 cal rifle like the Steyr HS.

What im proposing is long range snipers, seeing in game a Remington can only shoot twice the distance of a AK-47, but I guess the survivor isnt a expert marksman…So count this point as invalid if you wish

Your everyday survivor has a view cone of 360°. Oh boy!
Say he or she peeks down a scope. The cone would get much smaller but they’d be able to see farther. Oh man! Let’s say they get a 30° view cone plus a roughly doubled vision range. Sounds like a dang powerful scope. Shifting the scope left or right would perhaps take some time, allowing the world to move while you scan the environment. Oh manly-man-man-boy-childaroo! Say you’ve put your x10 scope or whatever on a fancy hunting rifle. Whenever you pull the trigger, perhaps the game would treat the target as being 10 times close than it actually is. OH SHI-! Well, barring that the target isn’t in effective range of your scope. Too close and you’ll have a hard time getting the shot. OH NO!

This is getting complicated.

Or you could just make the scope attachment double or triple the time it takes to fire a shot. There, you’ve already made using it in close quarters a terrible idea.

The benefits would need to be worth it though. Longer LOS, much increased accuracy over range. I can see it being powerful if you just want to sit outside a town at a (relatively) safe distance, picking zombies off. Though it might be a little OP since zombies wouldn’t be able to hear you to come investigate.

[quote=“Hyena Grin, post:14, topic:1020”]Or you could just make the scope attachment double or triple the time it takes to fire a shot. There, you’ve already made using it in close quarters a terrible idea.

The benefits would need to be worth it though. Longer LOS, much increased accuracy over range. I can see it being powerful if you just want to sit outside a town at a (relatively) safe distance, picking zombies off. Though it might be a little OP since zombies wouldn’t be able to hear you to come investigate.[/quote]

Make ammo relatively rare, so you cant just sit on a stockpile of 200 ammo. It should be so if you see a hulk in a town you could ie kill him, make it easier. Gas station with lots of zombies around it? Incendiary round. I was thinking of lots of tactical shots, not regular z, shoots dead rinse and repeat.

You mean make all ammo rare? Or just rifle ammo? Or are you talking about some new sniper rifle that will have rarer ammo that only it can use?

It’s just my opinion, but I’d really rather not see some kind of new sniper rifle with its own mechanics. I’d much rather see scopes introduced which can be put on a variety of weapons and have their own mechanics which are well balanced. Proper rifles would simply benefit more than, say, assault rifles or .22s, because they are more accurate at longer ranges.

If we are on the same page then no, I don’t like the idea of making ammo more rare. Ammo is already kinda rare. Yeah sometimes you strike a goldmine but you usually don’t have much choice in what you find, and you may not find more of the good stuff for a long time. Feast and famine. Make ammo more rare and you simply may never find it in combination with the weapon that uses it at all, or often enough that you can justify carrying it around.

To some degree the binocular/scope mechanics I described earlier would provide some amount of balance. If you are laying in a field and can’t see behind you, there’s a decent chance your gunfire will attract some attention and you may not realize it until enemies are on top of you. So there is some risk there.

Also I am not sure that picking off zombies from outside a town with impunity is ACTUALLY that bad a thing, the more I think about it. a) Zombies are pretty stupid and picking them off from afar seems like a fair strategy. You see this in zombie games/movies etc. b) You will never be able to get every zombie in a town this way. There will always be buildings and other things blocking line of sight, and zombies in buildings. You can thin the horde but you can’t kill it this way. c) With the right guns/armor and decent skills you can pretty much already walk through a city and kill enormous numbers of zombies. Hell I’ve done it with one guy and an SKS, Savage, and a pistol. Killed what turned out to be almost two hundred zombies in a large town, just walking down the street. It felt badass but I realized what an enormous waste of ammo it was and haven’t done it since. I think sniping from outside of town will be similar; it’s something you could do, but it’s wasteful and while you may find an ammo stockpile once, that doesn’t mean you’re likely to easily find more.

So I’m thinking it’s fine, and if the whole ‘tunnel vision’ effect can be coded in at some point, that on its own could be its own risk.

alright 1) Im saying making the ammo for the sniper or sort of rare (just a tad more then the current ammo rate)
2) scopes should be added too, (just maybe not as powerful as the sniper ones?)
3) I love the tunnel vision thing. I would really want that to be in the game
4)I was talking about tactical shots, but you could pick off all the zombies if you wanted. But I myself would like to take tactical shots like taking down the specials and maybe some of the normal horde. But thats just my opinion.

You want extreme sniping (one kilometer)? 7.62x51mm (.308) would barely do the trick unless you’re an expert marksman and making that more rare than it already is seems silly. .308 is a pretty common civilian round. Introducing .338 Lapua Magnum seems like heavy overkill for a game like this but that’d do.

Now, as for what constitutes a sniper scope, I’d say any telescopic sight with a range finding and/or drop compensation reticle fits the glove. Mil-dots and alike. x3-x10 magnification. Anything from a hunting scope to military grade stuff. Anything higher would be for really specialized shooting. Well, x10 is already pushing it. The higher it goes, the more tunnel vision you get.

Then there’s reflex and holographic stuff. Quicker target acquisition at short to medium ranges. Battery life could be a thing with the holographic ones but other than that, finding a penalty will be tricky. Perhaps attachments could make your gun more bulky (in case they don’t already do?).

Pretty finicky.

Ima make a pole for this, and prioritize it.

1. what type/models of snipers would we want
  2. would we do the tunnel vision thing while ‘zoomed in’
  3. should we make the sniper rounds more rare
  4. should we have a ‘scope’ attachment so itd do the ‘zooming in’
  5. Slax’s idea, could we also have holographic sights etc.

Bam, add more stuff to the ‘prioritizing list’ if youd like.

EDIT: OH WAIT, I CANT ADD A POLE facepalm

What of the Savage 111F, then?