Acid Rain: Pain is worse than death

[quote=“Rookie, post:6, topic:5252”]tarp?

Good thinking. Maybe the shelter recipe could be tweaked to use a long enough rope/wire instead of sticks. It would have to be environment-dependent, though, not sure how easy that is to code.

Umm, how would that powder work?

It’d be worn and it would absorb all damage from acid rain.

Ohh no its raining Chlorhydric Acid! Ill coat myself in Sodium hydroxide so I can be safe!

Pure videogame logic right there

[quote=“Inadequate, post:17, topic:5252”][quote=“Bonevomit, post:12, topic:5252”]I would say reduce the pain of acid rain considerably and have it injure the player, but never over something like 75% of any body parts health.

That way you still have a chance to escape and the acid rain can’t outright kill you.[/quote]

I don’t know if that’s such a good idea after all the acid rain revamps recently. Wasn’t the whole deal with remaking it to cause major pain but not straight-up injury because it was inconsistent with how it worked otherwise? I think it’d be better to add in more ways to mitigate the problem that people would come up with in real life.[/quote]
The most important thing is that Acid rain works, not that it’s realistic.

That’s not why they did the pain thing. It’s because a player could be killed in the middle of a field with no where to go.
(that actually happened to me once in the original cataclysm)
They “fixed” this to make it so you only feel pain. But it doesn’t really solve the problem because it makes you easily killed by anything. And if you’re running from high HP zombies it makes the situation very bad.

In fact the situation is worse here, because the pain shoots up so fast you don’t even have time to get rid of all of your pursuers. With the injury model your character would at least be able to kill off any enemies.

I think that my idea of a balance instead of two extremes makes the most sense as far as gameplay goes and realism goes.

I’m not fully convinced, but maybe the pain rate might be a bit too high? Not really much you could do in that situation, really. I think if you tone down acid rain to the point it’s no longer a threat people will just come up with something else that replaces it. Just look at the ‘radioactive rain’ proposals. I think more common makeshift rainproof shelters is probably the way to go.

Which is why the Troops now can carry tents, so you’re more likely to find them and think “Hmm, I’m going out on a long-range recon and may not have shelter in case it acid rains. Maybe I should take a tent along, just in case?”

Has it been merged into the latest experimental yet?

Yes.

Tents are a great idea (and I’m glad it’s been merged), and make it a lot farer. I think Pain is ok, because acid rain just randomly starting and killing you was pretty annoying - especially for a first time player

Goddamnit.

I wanted base powder.

A: You would have to avoid getting wet or sweating, otherwise the base powder would burn you just as badly as the acid rain.

B: If that somehow happens, you have about fifteen seconds before the acid rain washes it off you.

It’d be smeared in your armor. Plus if it’s mixed into a lye or paste it wouldn’t wash off.

Wouldn’t it dissolve…?

You are proposing that the player cover his clothes from head to toe in horrific flesh-melting lye, wear those clothes through some miraculous act of contortion, then carry out his daily activities without the paste seeping through and burning him, without getting sweaty or wet in any sort of way, all on the off chance of being caught in an acid rain shower, where, assuming you’ve somehow slathered on enough to protect you from several minutes worth of an acid deluge, the basic powder reacts with the acid and loses its effectiveness, meaning you have to go through that whole process all over again.

This is a more realistic scenario to mitigate acid rain than carrying a waterproof shelter around.

Or have it not be so basidic? Baking powder or such would provide enough mitigation to be useful but not godlike.

That reminds me, we don’t have baking soda in Cata.

I somewhat doubt the touted effectiveness of baking powder, but even if I take that as a given, you are still proposing the player carry out his daily activities covered head-to-toe in baking powder without it rubbing off or washing away in ordinary rain, rather than carry a waterproof sheet around.

As is often the case I’m tempted to add a way to make and apply “lye powder”, but make it work realistically. have fun with your full body base burns.

Or you could smother it on base proof materials like outter clothing and not have it be damaged.

It’s only light acid, why doesn’t clothing coverage effect rain pain gain?