Ability to hack one of your own arms or legs off

AND INSERT A BLADE?!?!!?!!1/11?

Enough of this ridiculous tangent.

Can we get back on realistic amputation or are we just going to babble about microwave chest implants that would obviously take up way too much torso space that is needed for organs, and not a microwave?

Now, can’t a person cut his own arm or leg off in peace?[/quote]

We should be able to cut off and cauterize in different actions. So we could day from bleeding or an infection in the cut.

On a related topic, I’ve recently been wondering why in the hell my character is capable of getting cold hands now.

He has laser guns, a toolset, water condensers, razor blades and god knows what else in there thanks to heavy CBM enhancement.

I doubt there’s any flesh left in there capable of feeling the cold.

well, however the devs implement this, they’ll probably need a hand getting it done, anyone care to give them a leg up?

Ladyfingers. They taste just like ladyfingers.[/quote]

This is one of the relatively few King stories I found terrifying.

:smiley:

[quote=“DG123, post:23, topic:5003”]On a related topic, I’ve recently been wondering why in the hell my character is capable of getting cold hands now.

He has laser guns, a toolset, water condensers, razor blades and god knows what else in there thanks to heavy CBM enhancement.

I doubt there’s any flesh left in there capable of feeling the cold.[/quote]

Precisely because there’s hardly any flesh left. You’re becoming a soul-less machine. Do machines need the warmth of a heart? Nope.
Get back to installing that fusion blaster arm.

So…

You don’t want prostheses or robo-arms. Just amputation for no good reason. No good reason.
See the problem here?

[quote=“Slax, post:28, topic:5003”]So…

You don’t want prostheses or robo-arms. Just amputation for no good reason. No good reason.
See the problem here?[/quote]

No, it’s the last option if you don’t want to get infected. Or have no way to cure that bite wound…

Pfffff. That’s crap. "OH NO I’VE BEEN BITTEN! Too bad I can’t use this sharp object to cauterize the wound for some reason. OH WELL, BETTER USE IT TO SAW OFF MY ARM THEN."
It’s not a functional gameplay mechanic in any way. You gimp yourself for the rest of your in-game life. Oh boy, what fun.

A more apt analogy for Cataclysm DDA development may never be found.

Also, you’re gonna want to cauterize that bleeding stump or you’ll bleed out in no time at all. OOPS.

[quote=“Slax, post:30, topic:5003”]Pfffff. That’s crap. “OH NO I’VE BEEN BITTEN! Too bad I can’t use this sharp object to cauterize the wound for some reason. OH WELL, BETTER USE IT TO SAW OFF MY ARM THEN.”
It’s not a functional gameplay mechanic in any way. You gimp yourself for the rest of your in-game life. Oh boy, what fun.[/quote]

I think the idea is to amputate an infected limb after it’s gone to the point where cauterization is no longer an option.

See also tourniquets, sutures, or any other means of controlling blood loss that doesn’t involve fire.

[quote=“Slax, post:30, topic:5003”]Pfffff. That’s crap. "OH NO I’VE BEEN BITTEN! Too bad I can’t use this sharp object to cauterize the wound for some reason. OH WELL, BETTER USE IT TO SAW OFF MY ARM THEN."
It’s not a functional gameplay mechanic in any way. You gimp yourself for the rest of your in-game life. Oh boy, what fun.[/quote]

Fun for a cenobite, maybe. Mind you, we have a cenobite mutation, so…

I mean, losing a leg didn’t hurt Hershel in The Walking Dead too much. He grew it back anyway eventually after most of the viewers forgot.

Plus, some people want to gimp themselves in the game. If not literally, then metaphorically. Why do you think anyone ever picks any of the addict professions? Not for the one or two points that they get from it.

Cutting off limbs is a prominent theme in zombie lore. It should be represented. A person shouldn’t have to moon-walk over land-mines to achieve amputation of a limb, if they have a hacksaw, or a chainsaw, or something like that…

Using a Tourniquet is almost as good as amputating a limb… In real life, it’s almost always done as a last resort, medics will in fact wright in red marker(or blood) the time at which a tourniquet was applied to a limb, because past a certain point of time, the limb experiences necrosis due to lack of oxygen. It’s a nasty short term way to stop bleeding.

I used to pick hobo for the points back when it gave 4…

Now instead I typically spawn naked. 1 point is worth starting with just a knife, matches, a pipe and what you get in the basement.

So it’s a slow infection? I don’t really see how that makes sense. Or are you thinking that it’s more of a stacking effect? Seems pretty janky either way. Get enough goo/poo in your system and I’d imagine it’d spread through your veins pretty fast.

This got derailed. The point is that it’s a classic, almost a cliché in the zombie genre, and also a need in this game. Infection should not mean only you get antibiotics or die. We have more options, desperate and realistic. This should be one.

Question is: What happens if you amputate a leg off? Can you only crawl? Only walk with a cane or pirate style? What if both legs are off? What if both arms are off? Can you no longer interact with anything then?

It poses some really tricky questions.

Without your legs, you can crawl with your arms.

Without anything… YOU CAN ROLL!