A few things I've been working on- graphene, tanks (LONG)

I’ve been puttering about with code and I’ve written up a bunch of stuff for the following, I’d like some feedback on the concepts and ideas before I go much further:

* Graphene & graphene accessories

Essentially, I think graphene production would be considerably scaled up during the game’s timeframe - it’s only a rare material these days because there hasn’t been a viable method to producing it commercially. It’s a totally fascinating thing - a 2 dimensional, 1-atom thick crystal lattice made entirely of carbon rings that’s 50 times lighter and 300 times stronger than steel.

I’m thinking for future use that small-scale applications are available for civilians (similar to commercial 3d printing vs. industrial/medical) and large-scale applications are not craftable or repairable, but are findable.

Items:

• Nano-composite patch
    A small square of graphene fiber lattice roughly one square foot in size. Available commercially at hardware stores. On its own, it is useless. These cannot be crafted, only found.

• Carbon fiber press
    A small hydraulic press for home civilian use. Requires large amounts of batteries (100 per use, stores 1000). Activate and it looks for 2 pieces of raw material and 1 nano-composite patch and heat-presses them together to form: either a nano-fiber insert (2 plastic chunks), or a sheet of nano-fabric (2 rags).

• Nano-fiber insert: These are upgrades you can apply to any piece of clothing. 1 insert can be added for each 5 volume of an item (so large clothing, such as trenchcoats, can have 2 or 3 inserts). Each insert increases the clothing’s encumbrance by 1 but increases the cut/bash armor as well as greatly increasing the item’s durability (chance it’ll get ripped by attacks). To remove the inserts you must deconstruct the clothing; if a piece of clothing is destroyed by attacks, the inserts fall on the ground.

Note: These already exist. There are business suits available on the market lined with graphene inserts that make it immune to small arms fire, and yet it still looks exactly like a functional business suit.

• Nano-fabric: This is a square of graphene sandwiched between and woven into two pieces of fabric. The fabric can then be woven into extremely durable clothing or other items (such as backpacks) just like regular rags. It is not as protective as using inserts, but is less encumbering and weighs less. Unlike inserts, deconstructing the clothing destroys the nanofiber.

• Industrial Nano-press
    This is a large, expensive piece of industrial equipment that compresses graphene between two pieces of material, similar to the commercial version. However, the industrial one is mounted on a vehicle and requires gasoline AND battery power in order to run. It is also extremely heavy. The press requires a lot more graphene and material than the civilian version, and the resulting items can not be repaired or disassembled:

8 graphene patches + 2 sheet metal: 1 nano-composite sheet
4 graphene patches + 8 plastic chunks: 1 rubber plating
4 graphene patches OR 1 nano-composite sheet + 4 heavy duty frame OR 2 military composite plating: 1 nano-composite armor plate
2 graphene patches + 2 reinforced glass sheet: 1 fortified glass sheet
1 graphene patch + 2 glass sheet: 1 reinforced glass sheet

• Nano-composite sheet
    This is a heavy sheet of composite graphene fiber laminated between two steel plates; the result is much stronger than simply two pieces of metal welded together. It can be used in vehicle construction to craft fortified frames which strongly resist taking damage; they are lighter than heavy duty frames but more durable.

• Rubber plating
    Two layers of thick plastic around a central core of graphene fiber. While very light, this armor plate can be used in vehicle construction and is almost as tough as steel plating. The plates can be removed or added very quickly but cannot be repaired.

• Nano-composite armor plate
    This is a heavy-duty military application of nanocomposite materials - two plates of composite plating with a solid core of industrial graphene. It is lighter and much more durable than traditional military plating but cannot be repaired, only replaced. It is particularly tough against explosions and shrapnel, being used primarily in advanced military hardware to defeat armor-piercing projectiles.

• Fortified glass sheet
    Graphene sheets being invisible at 1-atom thickness makes for an excellent window reinforcement. Using two sheets of already-strong reinforced glass with an industrial press can sandwich this glass around the graphene sheet, making it nigh-unbreakable but still transparent. It is heavily used in advanced military vehicles and armored cars.

* Tanks & Military Vehicles & War Museum

The second thing I’m working on is a War Museum rare building spawn. It is 2x2 and there are several different variants; the subjects are randomized between civil war, WW1, WW2, WW3, and future versions. Most weapons and objects are replicas; the working versions are kept behind reinforced glass. Sprinkled throughout the museum are turret, copbot and secubot housings; if the alarms go off the bots all pop out, making the place very dangerous for the unprepared.

Items in the different displays vary wildly, but there are a few archaic and ancient items added that may be useful, also some famous American firearms that aren’t in vanilla. Also quite a bit more future weapons, though the vast majority are nonfunctional replicas or require esoteric power sources. Nothing super state of the art.

One of the war museum potential modules is a military vehicle display plus hangar/warehouse, containing a number of different randomized vehicles in various states of disassembly, including:

• M1A1 Abrams MBT (military composite armor, 120mm cannon, HMG)
  • T-72 Medium Tank (MCA, 120mm cannon, HMG)
  • Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger Tank (steel plate, 88mm cannon, HMG)
  • Stryker ICV (MCA, M2 HMG or M19 Grenade Launcher)
  • M18 ‘Hellcat’ Tank Destroyer (no armor, 76mm HV cannon, HMG)
  • Churchill British Heavy Tank (with Oke flamethrower, AVRE SPIGOT mortar, and mineclearing variants)

New vehicle parts include tank treads, which can get blown off but are generally much more stable, durable, and slower than wheels, as well as equipment like mineclearing flails and bulldozer blades)

One thing that’ll catch most people’s interest I think is a proper cannon firing system – it works like this:

a) Cannons cannot be built from scratch, and can only be repaired up to YELLOW. Repairing them to full or building from scratch requires industrial equipment that just doesn’t exist anymore. They can however be found at green condition.

b) Cannon parts: (- denotes items that must be placed on a tile with the previous)
- Turret Ring or Turret Frame (the basis of all tank guns- direction placed matters! Rings can turn but require vast amounts of power, frames cannot turn but are more stable)
Cannon Loading Bay (this is where you drop shells. has an armored mantlet)
Cannon Autoloader (if this is installed, you can place more than 1 shell, and it will automatically reload them at a cost of power/gas)

• Cannon Barrel (also includes firing mechanisms… You MUST have at least 1 of these adjacent to a loading bay and both facing the same direction. Multiple barrels will extend the range and accuracy of a shot. Using only ONE cannon barrel with a loading bay and no other parts turns it into a SPIGOT mortar.)
  • Cannon Muzzle (includes a muzzle break - increases accuracy, decreases noise)

Most heavy tanks (Abrams for example) are equipped wih a turret ring, loading bay, autoloader, 2 barrels, and muzzle, making it 4 tiles long.

Turret rings (not frames) can be rotated 45 degrees using the ^ vehicle control button and fired using the same. Shells travel in a straight line from frame, to barrel, to muzzle, and continue straight until they hit something or reach maximum range. It also reduces vehicle speed momentarily and depending on the caliber generates a TON of noise.

SPIGOT mortars function differently - they do not hit the first target struck, instead falling overhead to land randomly wherever the turret is pointed. This allows you to fire over buildings, etc. Shells (from both spigot and regular cannons) cannot hit targets less than 10 tiles from the muzzle.

Tank shells cannot be crafted (except maybe makeshift variants at some point…). Different calibers fit different barrels but there’s always the same types: High Explosive, Anti Personnel (heavy shrapnel), Incendiary, and High Explosive Anti Tank.

I’m considering adding future variants (hovertanks anyone?) but those will take a lot more designing.

Whew, anyway! Long post! If you have ideas or suggestions (or just hate all these) feel free to leave comments or questions!

This looks great!

Thats all I can say at the moment.

About graphene:
It’s basically renamed superalloy. We could rename superalloy to graphene and give it more uses.
It’s all json work, so easy to make and easy to test.
Well, except the armor inserts. Those have been proposed, but don’t expect them to happen soon - at least not until gun mods get reworked.

About military vehicles: it is already kinda hard to find a complete set of heavy gun + heavy gun ammo. I’d rather have the tank-caliber guns be completely useless and only for show and parts. The less new calibers the better. Also, the more it can be reused (makeshift ammo) the better.
Tanks could otherwise be a nice source of plating and strong engines.

Tank museum could get in. This one isn’t just json work, though - you’d have to add mapgen code to it.

I’m strongly against multi-part turret barrels. Too much effort for something that probably wouldn’t be used a lot.
Loading bay and autoloader are OK, though I’d much rather have them as turret attachments than parts that need to be adjacent to the turret.

As for aimed turrets: I will probably write manual turret firing soon, but without the whole rotation limitation and time to rotate. Rotation limitation would require some extra code, but nothing undoable. Plus, turret rotation limitation would be useful for some cool modded turrets.

Minimum range limitation: keep in mind that everything that happens in the game happens in a relatively small area. Artillery means “30 tiles”, not “120 tiles”.
10 tiles limitation is quite a lot.
Coding projectiles that can’t hit targets until some range doesn’t sound hard. There would be some special cases (buildings with roofs), but nothing unsolvable.

To sum up:
If you made a graphene mod, it would probably get in, possibly get mainlined. Same for tank museum. Ynrotatable turrets, separation of turrets and their ammo and mortar style weapons could get in. Proper tank guns won’t get in any time soon (if ever).

coolthulhu
you are doing so many vehicle things
you are vehicle master

Just a note about the Military Composite Armor, you wouldn’t see it on the M-72, Also, the Stryker is what I tried (and apparently failed) to base the APC on.

Also, the less-modern vehicles in museums have probably been demilitarized for safety, as in the breach has been welded shut, the muzzle spiked, etc. Same as you’d see a cannon in on display outside.

Lastly, a lot of these features seem HUGELY complicated, but if you can make them work you’ll have blown my mind-- and I’ll have to upgrade my bloody mobile home again.

Essentially, I think graphene production would be considerably scaled up during the game's timeframe - it's only a rare material these days because there hasn't been a viable method to producing it commercially. It's a totally fascinating thing - a 2 dimensional, 1-atom thick crystal lattice made entirely of carbon rings that's 50 times lighter and 300 times stronger than steel.

Instead of thousand words: Monomolecular blade is there.

Yeah, I agree with what all has been said. Coolthulhu has no doubt done a lot more work on vehicle stuff than I have, I’ve only just started poking and prodding at it. I’ve done a lot of coding in the past but each codebase has its own unique language you have to slowly learn. However I have done considerable amounts of coding on MUDs that work very similarly to Cata and I think I can do all the stuff I’ve mentioned. The turret firing/rotation thing I am just fine to leave alone, and yeah - in museums they would definitely be dummy guns anyway, but I was considering them for stuff like modern military bases or large battle sites.

The APC I see it as a lot more like the last generation of amored APCs (See: The M2 Bradley), rather than Strykers. Stryker interiors are usually a lot more crowded and I can only imagine an even more futuristic tank (see: Alien) being available at Cata’s time frame.

Then you have even more awesome modern stuff like the GCV Infantry Vehicle

Anyway thanks for the advice, I’ll probably not touch the code itself for now until I’m more familiar with it. But it is definitely fun planning out archaic tanks.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:6, topic:8352”]

Essentially, I think graphene production would be considerably scaled up during the game’s timeframe - it’s only a rare material these days because there hasn’t been a viable method to producing it commercially. It’s a totally fascinating thing - a 2 dimensional, 1-atom thick crystal lattice made entirely of carbon rings that’s 50 times lighter and 300 times stronger than steel.

Instead of thousand words: Monomolecular blade is there.[/quote]

Heh, could it lead to craftable monomolecular blades or wires? Maybe…

I think Superalloy is more like the (already used) sandwich of steel and graphene, the graphene raw material itself isn’t particularly durable since it’s very thin… but put it between two pieces of something and wow, suddenly it’s hundreds of times stronger. It has so many applications!

Given the amount of Tigers left in the world, I find it very unlikely that the player would ever run across even a partial hull, let alone a complete or working one. Replicas as show pieces, maybe.

I’m not so sure about Churchills, but the special variants might be as rare or even rarer.

[quote=“Hardluck, post:8, topic:8352”]Given the amount of Tigers left in the world, I find it very unlikely that the player would ever run across even a partial hull, let alone a complete or working one. Replicas as show pieces, maybe.

I’m not so sure about Churchills, but the special variants might be as rare or even rarer.[/quote]

They would definitely be replicas, but even replicas can be pretty true to real, particularly if the same metals used to construct them is common and the blueprints etc still exist. Certain parts would be in horrible states of repair while others would be newer, or be completely broken.

Graphene would be a welcome addition. I just don’t like the proposed item names, the word nano seems to imply that they are based on nanomachine technology.

Some suggestions for diferent names that I came up with: Graphene textile/Supertextile patch (for the nano-patch), Graphene-fabric (nano-fabic), Layered graphene-steel sheet/ the already existing Superalloy (nano-composite sheet), Graphene-core composite armor plate (for the Nano-composite armor plate).

You could always put “working” tanks in reinforced glass domes with some computers somewhere to secure them.

This is CataDDAmerica. More paranoid than the real-life NSA on crack-cocaine, , adderall, meth and m-cat at the same time. Why would they ruin perfectly good (outdated) weapons when the commies could invade any moment now?

Of course, the passwords to these museum pieces would be somewhere deep in a military bunker. These tanks are for the military when the commies bomb every vehicle depot, not expecting secret hidden vehicle depots across museums.

Mono-molecular wire would make the absolutely better defensive perimeter. Put it all knee height around your base, and code it so all zombies that pass through are transformed into crawling zombies.

[quote=“Muaddib, post:11, topic:8352”]You could always put “working” tanks in reinforced glass domes with some computers somewhere to secure them.

This is CataDDAmerica. More paranoid than the real-life NSA on crack-cocaine, , adderall, meth and m-cat at the same time. Why would they ruin perfectly good (outdated) weapons when the commies could invade any moment now?

Of course, the passwords to these museum pieces would be somewhere deep in a military bunker. These tanks are for the military when the commies bomb every vehicle depot, not expecting secret hidden vehicle depots across museums.[/quote]

Both great ideas!

[quote=“Abbysynth, post:13, topic:8352”][quote=“Muaddib, post:11, topic:8352”]You could always put “working” tanks in reinforced glass domes with some computers somewhere to secure them.

Of course, the passwords to these museum pieces would be somewhere deep in a military bunker. These tanks are for the military when the commies bomb every vehicle depot, not expecting secret hidden vehicle depots across museums.[/quote]

Both great ideas![/quote]

Military probably would prefer the tanks stay in their bunkers, and hulk → crawling is a bit powerful. I’m not sold on those, sorry.

Hehe, crawling hulks.

[quote=“Muaddib, post:11, topic:8352”]You could always put “working” tanks in reinforced glass domes with some computers somewhere to secure them.

Of course, the passwords to these museum pieces would be somewhere deep in a military bunker. These tanks are for the military when the commies bomb every vehicle depot, not expecting secret hidden vehicle depots across museums.[/quote]My “password” is a reinforced homewrecker and a good swig of whiskey.
Failing that, one of em M70 LAW things.
Also how would the commies be unsuspecting? The whole point of putting something in a museum is to show it off to the public, and it seems like it’d be pretty obvious that it is an asset given how locked down it is.
Plus it would be silly and random and also rather silly for there to be functioning tanks in a museum, paranoica or not

Tell that to the folks at the Muckleberg Military Collection, the Royal Australian Armoured Corps Tank Museum, the US Army Ordnance Museum, the Tank Museum in Bovington, or any other military ordnance museum. They don’t consider it silly or random (random?) to maintain their collections of artifacts.

Bombs are disabled for safety prior to display. Bullets are disabled for safety prior to display. Vehicles are maintained in working condition, as they’re not going to explode due to deteriorating powder or explosive charges, and museums are there to preserve these things.

Okay, you got me. Now how common are these handful of museums supposed to be in new england in particular?

Very common.

Thing is, we don’t yet have working tanks. Once we do, sure. Graphene seems like a CVD output, given the Wiki article’s discussion of how it’s produced.