Alternative RetroDays's

Personally, this aqua/navy blue hue is my favorite of those posted thus far, it just feels like my eyes aren’t having to work as hard.

That last one, that the one, it corrects the the grainy effect of the other two, and it indded feels lie the eyes dont need to work so hard, even the minimap seems awesome

That looks really great.

thank you for the interest and feedback! i’m currently playing a game with what i have so far. it’s nice! i’ve done over the street and sidewalk tiles so far and probably won’t get back to working on that tileset for at least a week due to real life concerns. i can upload my updated tileset with what i have so far if people are interested?

im interested, could you upload a link?

sure! here it is https://drive.google.com/open?id=16pnTlzqtCFLbSm1bN2kR8-xkcWGZLOvh

2 Likes

I’ve installed and have been using it for a little bit after using DeadPeople, and I have to say I’m not having as much difficulty adjusting as I expected! The loss of some fidelity has most certainly been offset by how much more gentle it is on my eyes. It’s been making the whole experience just a little more mellow than I’m used to.

1 Like

Yeah, that looks amazing; the roads alone make it way easier on the eye. Keep us up to date on this! :slight_smile:

The penny has finally dropped as to what Retrodays reminds me of - a turn-based strategy game called Rebelstar Raiders, way back in the early 80s on the ZX Spectrum. The author went on to many, bigger things, not least of which was creating the XCOM series.

You have no idea how long it’s been bugging me what the Retrodays aesthetic was reminding me of :wink:

1 Like

OMG so many memories…

1 Like

Yeah, I played the hell out of the first two Rebelstar games. Good times, loading stuff off cassette tapes.

I am assuming this is probably hardcoded in some way, but going up elevation and having open space ends up looking like this. Quite an unpleasant surprise the first time I climb a downspout!

first, how did you manage to climb a downsprout, its related to having the z-levels on?.
second, air tiles are really a shock to the eyes, from dark to light it can be a surprise.

And as a suggestion, i haven been playing with the tileset, and i think it could use a little more of detail in the future, like each creature having its corpse tile, and maybe the char having different sprites based on the outermost layer of clothes being wear.

Rango, you’ll need to have Experimental z-Levels on in the Current World tab of your settings, might need a reset if it’s off. Then stand on a downspout and hit the < key, you can choose where to climb up to.

1 Like

You can also examine a ledge to choose where to climb down, and jump in that menu (if you didn’t know that already).

i think it could use a little more of detail in the future, like each creature having its corpse tile, and maybe the char having different sprites based on the outermost layer of clothes being wear.

Each creature having a different corpse tile is totally feasible, but that needs someone interested in adding those.
Different sprites based on the clothes being worn is very hard, and maybe even impossible, depending on how it’s implemented. RetroDays just doesn’t have enough detail for some of that.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call it hard. The majority of the work will be code-side making the pack put on whatever texture when it needs to, which is what I would call the hard part.

The equipment will be hard to differentiate, I admit, on a small scale such as retrodays if my little test is anything to go by. But depending on your pixel scale you can either have barely recognizable clothing pieces or something people will generally agree on whatever it is.

Below is my little test. At the very bottom is the default pixel scale, 10x10 per sprite. In the middle bottom is 4 times the default pixel scale, 40x40 per sprite. The biggest is 8 times, 80x80 pixels. Admittedly it would look better if I had my own body to work on, but I wanted to use the default sprites as mannequins. Don’t mind the squares in the corners, they were scale helpers. And yes, you do need to zoom way the flip in to see the stuff on the default sprites. For some reason my image editor didn’t want to save at the crisp highest quality it usually does.
Retrodays%20upscale%20clothing%20test

This is exactly what I mean when I say hard. If you just want to see that the character is wearing something, it’s easy. But if you want to have what they’re wearing in any way distinguishable aside from color, you really can’t. Then there are also things such as backpacks and scabbard and other odd clothing pieces, that you can’t represent at all really either due to the facing of the character or their size.

1 Like

i can finally post in this thread again now that i’m back from RLC! so i asked around a little, and as far as I know, the color of the sky on higher Z-levels can only be changed in the code. while i support the idea of having a gentler sky color for my retrodays work, there’s approximately a 0% chance that that work could actually get done by me. there’s a reason i’m doing tileset work and nothing else :smile:

so i guess if anyone else is capable of doing that work and wants to work with me, get at me, but otherwise i see no way to change the sky color from my own position.

as far as I know, the color of the sky on higher Z-levels can only be changed in the code.

It’s just that light blue tile there (index 10, tile #11), unless you’re looking for something else.

oh, hello, silly me. well yeah, that’ll be trivial to fix then. i’ll resume work on the tileset as soon as i’m able to

2 Likes