**20170216 Big Sprite Update** MShock32Xottoplus Tileset Oversprite Tileset

OPs last post is from October, so yes, they are still around.

Noob question… patch 7 version is cumulative? I have found some other patch on the japanese mod page, but dont know if they are included intoi the last one…

Ok, I think I’m going to mainline this tileset (with fixed brazier, updates from jp) tomorrow, if anyone has something against it please reply.

5 Likes

Hey, I don’t know if this is of any help by now (sorry), but I had the same problem with black lines when using the tiles_x64 version (I think it’s the one the launcher picks). Try using this.

None whatsoever from me if you can update the tileset…also, if you can, change the heavy duty color to maybe beige/green

Hello Xotto! I’ve done some edits to your sprite sheet, please let me know if those are okay and if they can be added. I’l add the zip of this for now.

Changelog:

• Fixed PK’s rotting zombies(mon_zombie_rot_pk_flu, mon_zombie_rot_pk_pain, etc)
  • Fixed the braizer issue
  • Changed the color of the military vehicle armor.
  • Added detergent sprite into the set
  • Added food processor sprite into the set
  • Edited PC sprites to be Koreans(this is the most whimsical and probably least needed)

For now, the full edited set is here:

http://www.filedropper.com/mshockxotto

Are there plans for the update?

I plan to change camouflage patterns of military stuff. when I added armored panel tiles first, I thought it must blend with existing tiles.(such as red vehicle parts and dirt tiles) and I choose brown tone pattern. but some comments say desert pattern isn’t suitable for national guards.
In my opinion, woodland pattern isn’t blend with this tileset. its too green and it makes awkward combination with other panels and terrain. in the upcoming update, woodland colors in other military things(zombie soldiers, army clothes) will be changed.

current version

sampleA

sampleB

You want UCP. Military vehicles deployed into first world urban combat zones won’t have forest, desert, drab, or tan armor. It’d have the mottled grey patten.

I think OCP look better on the map…

marine

canadian

Woodland 2 aka canadian… is actually Flecktarn (German pattern). Do Canadian use it as well?

UCP might be more realistic, but looking at it kinda hurts my eyes, also there is enough gray in the game, the OCP looks pretty nice to me.

I mean, it looks like they’ve got multiple versions done. Is it possible to just upload the various ones and let people choose which they like best?

No, the CF uses CADPAT

to be perfectly honest, since there is only normal car (redish) and armored, I would just use a darker green without any pattern. Like here:

1 Like

Love this tileset. But I’m noticing in the newer experimentals there are ugly white borders showing up around the sprites… I’ve seen weird borders showing up in other tilesets recently but it is most pronounced with this one. This was not an issue when I last played around September last year. Any idea what change could have caused this? Seems especially bad when Hardware Acceleration is turned on in the graphics options.

This might be a bit of a late reply, but this looks like a case of texture bleed on the sprite sheet.

Typically in a game like this, all the tile images are saved in one large image called a sprite sheet (or texture atlas if the sizes are different) and then texture coordinates are used to pick out what specific sprite to use. This both saves memory and is much, much faster than having a bunch of different images in memory and switching between them programmatically.

Unfortunately, there’s a side effect in how 3D hardware deals with textures in memory in that, due to rounding errors, there can sometimes be a bit of “bleed” from the next texture over on the sprite sheet.

There are several ways to fix the problem. The “easiest” (though perhaps most time consuming) is to add padding to each of the tiles in the sprite sheet which mimics the pixels of the tile directly adjacent to it. This ensures that if a texel gets misaligned slightly, then it will still get the correct data. The amount of padding needed is a bit of a dark art related to the implementation specifics of the texture code and how large the texture atlas texture is. The larger the texture atlas, the more padding is needed between each sprite.

A more difficult solution that requires changes to the C++ texture code would be to programmatically add padding to every tile when the texture atlas is created.

Another solution that would work is to have the texture code do it’s own texture sampling. Again, requiring C++ code and likely some shader programs.

A further solution would use OGL texture arrays, but this might require a complete rewrite of the texture code as well as require OGL 3.0 at a minimum (I actually don’t know what versions of OGL DDA supports). It would also necessitate an appropriate shader program.

As it is, perhaps the easiest thing you can do is simply play the game at a specific zoom level where the artifacts disappear. Typically, this problem happens with mip-mapping and I’m guessing that DDA implements zooming up and down through mip maps.

1 Like

Those lines are because of linear filtering. Turning it off removes them.

I’ve also worked on my own fix to this tileset to cover everything in vanilla that has been missed. I’ve merged Arkenstone1’s fixes with the version included with the experimentals (as of april 2018) and also added other missing tiles. I will upload it to github later when I’ve covered all the missing tiles in vanilla.

1 Like

I made new thread here.

My account was lost when forum moved.