Farming

So, its Fall of year 2. I have harvested my 2nd crop.

Its going well since I know what I can do with most crops (dehydrate or vacuum seal) but then I got to the Sugar Beets. I have nearly 160 of the things and I cant really do anything with them.

Also, for the future. What are some of the best crops to grow?

Weed.

You can brew sugar syrup from sugar beets, if I remember it right. Or use them in some cooking recipes. I’ve harvested only some tomatoes, sugar beets and carrots, just for ‘how it would work’ purposes.

Grains (oats, wheat) and cotton.

Neither rots. You can then mill grains into flour, cotton seeds into oil and make biscuits which are 224 nutrition for just 2 flour and 1 oil.

If i had to feed someone else… not just myself id actually consider faming for another reason then ‘cause i can’

edit:

cause i can …

[quote=“Valpo, post:5, topic:9032”]If i had to feed someone else… not just myself id actually consider faming for another reason then ‘cause i can’

edit:

cause i can …

Sie sind velleicht eine Katze! :3

Wow in german :open_mouth:

Yes it was an accident.
I merely took like 2 syrings and ended up as a cat.
Was aiming for the nightvision xD
and also i noticed the change from :slight_smile: too :3 its a nice lil detail xD

[quote=“Valpo, post:7, topic:9032”]Wow in german :open_mouth:

Yes it was an accident.
I merely took like 2 syrings and ended up as a cat.
Was aiming for the nightvision xD
and also i noticed the change from :slight_smile: too :3 its a nice lil detail xD[/quote]

Rivet’s tweak. She’s not around as much anymore, but still good work.

The problem I find with farming is that I have so much food that it literally takes me 2 in game weeks or so to process everything. I feel as if there should be a powered quern to reduce the time it takes to make and oatmeal and cornmeal, and perhaps a quicker way to can food. Maybe if it is made in a batch it shouldn’t necessarilly take as long as it does since you might just have all the vegetables or fruit in one big pot cooking at once, or there could be a powered machine to speed it up, I don’t have real life experience in these things.

Otherwise, I have quite a bit of canned food. Enough for a few seasons at least. I had enough oatmeal to make a few thousand cookies and have a 5 wooden kegs filled to the brim with various types of alcohol. Also have a hundred blunts.

+1 to powered quern. Crafted from a small electric engine + copper wire + small tank/pot + scrap metal. Reducing grinding time from 1h to 10 mins per item.

Also a quern vehicle rig (maybe integrated to the foodco?)

My problem with farming is that you are staying in the same place.
Nothing much ever happens unless you (as a player) initiate it, so the game gets boring pretty quickly.

We’d need some more things happening in the world without player interaction.
Events like e.g. Visiting faction representatives trying to recruit you, bandits attacking, bandits setting fire to your crops and barn to threaten you, tidal waves of destruction near rivers (don’t ask me how they happen), earthquakes…

Don’t forget occational attacks of killer tomatoes. The downside of being a progressive farmer.

excessive farming should definitely have random and sudden downsides. Bad ideas has touched on this at least once…

Acid rain could make land infertile. Not fertilizing or rotating crops as well. Nuclear rain clouds could force you to dig up the top 6 inches of topsoil every few years. Zombies could get into your water supply and have your well only pump out “tainted water” until you get down there and clean it out if you use well water. Locusts. Dust bowl effects when a horde comes through and kills all the crops by trampling. What else?

Make the mycus and trifids and other bigger faction act outside the rb . tzhis way you ll have isurgence sooner or later if you stay too long at one spot without countering theire spread.

Fungaloids just would make people not farm at all. Triffids turn farming from easy food to easy food, health and string :confused: though, some random mutations could be nice though to mess up with the farming.

I also think that farming yeld should be a lot lower. It is pretty rare for every seed you plant to grow into thriving crop. Farming could use some micromanagement to make less fire and forget type thing. Farming is quite a lot of work if you want to have good harvest, not something you throw out and harvest later.

of course these faction would have to be made actually dangerous beforehand. but thats true for pretty much every enemy ingame which i opt to change as well in which case my suggestion should work.

Fungaloids just would make people not farm at all. Triffids turn farming from easy food to easy food, health and string :confused: though, some random mutations could be nice though to mess up with the farming.

I also think that farming yeld should be a lot lower. It is pretty rare for every seed you plant to grow into thriving crop. Farming could use some micromanagement to make less fire and forget type thing. Farming is quite a lot of work if you want to have good harvest, not something you throw out and harvest later.[/quote]

SimFarm:DDA
Now with more goo threat.

I also think that farming yeld should be a lot lower. It is pretty rare for every seed you plant to grow into thriving crop. Farming could use some micromanagement to make less fire and forget type thing. Farming is quite a lot of work if you want to have good harvest, not something you throw out and harvest later.[/quote]

SimFarm:DDA
Now with more goo threat.[/quote]

Reminds me of old days in DF:Trauma Center (in case people do not get the reference: medical update back in days).

Hydroponics FTW!

its like we have on one hand a bunch of folks who like the idea of base building.

and on the othet hand, a bunch of people who think it shouldn’t be allowed.