Zombie Farming

Hey has anybody tried this? It’s like having your own pet zombies.

Find a place to live with a basement(I usually use the original shelter)
Lead a few powerful zombies inside like hulks, bears, or other high hp types(they will be pulped otherwise).
Clobber to death. Leave basement. Go about your business and return later in the day.
Go into basement and wait 5 minutes, the zombies should wake up again.
Clobber and repeat.

Free training sessions once or twice a day, and they are guaranteed to never leave the basement so long as you kill them whenever they wake up.

Amateur.

I’ll be impressed when you harness them to a converted shopping cart turned chariot and take them to war.

animal powered vehicles, anyone?

This is like the fourth exploit I’ve seen people talking about, and you guys are still ardent on this game not needing to be harder.

How is it an exploit? Everything that occurs arises naturally from the game mechanics. It’s not like doing this guarantees complete victory, you still could be done in by an unlucky hit from a zombie hulk. All he’s really doing is speeding up the process a little. In fact, I’d even say the mechanics encourage it. The principle of melee combat is to engage enemies on favourable terrain in the best possible condition, and this is the culmination of that mindset. It’s not even that efficient at raising your skills, whiffing at sewer rats is far easier.

Plus, if someone is mad enough to farm zombears and zombie hulks in their basement, they deserve all the advantages they get out of it.

If you want melee practice, look no further than slime pits. Equip a power armour and have fun. Fungal blooms can work in a pinch.

@Rivet: That’s up to the modders, I’m just working with what I got.

@Clayton: I’m with you, the game is way too easy. Though I don’t really see how this is an exploit. Fact is, zombies regenerate and come back to life, so why not capitalize on it?

@Inadequate: I’m not using the zombies to improve my skill, but to keep them from rusting when not actively hunting for supplies. This way I can stay in my shelter and read my books while keeping my combat skills sharp. There are a lot more efficient ways to improve melee skills(mainly by running to a random town and genociding the zombie population while keeping morale up). Besides, at this point in the game I was killing zombears and hulks in one or two swings(so there wasn’t any real danger), and I had used up all of the zombies from the towns around my base(gathering tainted meat for mutagen), so it was hard to find new zombies to practice on.

@eternalflame: Do slimes ever run out? I didn’t have any near my base to check.

Slimes do run out, but by the time they do, you’ll not need them any more.

I am with Clayton that the game should be harder, but like Bonevomit I don’t see this as an exploit.

I look at it as an exploit because you’re taking advantage of the fact that zombies wont leave the basement and they come back to life indefinitely.

The “won’t leave the basement” thing does seem a bit exploity in hindsight. Although if you left them in a mine or some other large underground place it would make more sense as they couldn’t find the exit anyway. Maybe if you locked some zombears behind a steel door in a laboratory…

As for the regeneration thing, that happens in my basement and on the surface. So I don’t really feel bad about that one.

Well I mean, how I look at it at least, after killing the same zombie so many times how is it even still going to get back up haha. It wont take too long before it’s just a pile of mush.

Yeah, damage to the zombie could be cumulative. Like every time it revives the max hp drops until it’s too weak to revive.
Or, it could just be that whatever possessed the dead body to make the zombie in the first place will regenerate it fully anyway.

It’s more a question of how the zombie is regenerating when there is nothing for it to get energy from in my opinion.
(I mean, somehow skeletons work)

What about… making the zombies only regenerate a finite number of times? Depending on it speciality, toughness and size? So it can’t be… “exploitable”. I don’t see it as exploitable, but it still could be used as that and so i think this a good idea.

This would be very easy to implement, when resurrecting the corpse could pass its damage level to the zombie (possibly plus a little), then when the zombie is re-killed that could be used to increase the damage level of the corpse, a few times around and the corpse would spawn too damaged to come back.

Overkill would accelerate this, right now if you do significantly more damage than it takes to kill the zombie, the corpse spawns damaged, which makes it take longer to come back, and if you do a LOT more than necessary it spawns pulped. This way after a few times the corpse would naturally get pulped.

Now we just need a way to chain the zombie to a wall so you can use them as a punching bag without killing them :stuck_out_tongue:

If this would mean I don’t have to drive over and kill the same pack of zombies every time I drive my car to town (I’m too lazy to get out and pulp every single one), or if they’d just EXPLODE in a gore-cloud if you do enough cumulative damage at once to them, I’m happy. lol

“…chain the zombies to the wall…”

Only if we can tame them ala’ Fido lol.

Can I teach it to play video games?

If there was ever something I was not worried about running out of in this game its things to train melee skills on. there is always stuff to hit running about.

Yeah, damage to the zombie could be cumulative. Like every time it revives the max hp drops until it’s too weak to revive.
Or, it could just be that whatever possessed the dead body to make the zombie in the first place will regenerate it fully anyway.

It’s more a question of how the zombie is regenerating when there is nothing for it to get energy from in my opinion.
(I mean, somehow skeletons work)[/quote]

I agree with this. There’s only a certain number of times you should be able to get your head cracked open or get hacked to bits, even accounting for magical healing goo.

If this would mean I don’t have to drive over and kill the same pack of zombies every time I drive my car to town (I’m too lazy to get out and pulp every single one), or if they’d just EXPLODE in a gore-cloud if you do enough cumulative damage at once to them, I’m happy. lol[/quote]
Yea that’s exactly what it would mean, and it would happen really fast with vehicles, there’s a pretty high chance of pulping zombies when you run over them already.

Side note, I’ve been planning on having vehicle wheels bash the ground as they pass over for a while now, so you’d be pulping corpses that way too (but also useful stuff).