Your choice of food

What kind of food do you prepare in bulk in late game stages?

Extremely late game, I prefer to get my morale fix from drinks. Most of them never spoil, and with recycler unit and expanded digestive system you can actually survive off just drinking kompot, spiced mead and herbal tea. Especially if you have the “Light Eater” trait. Btw, there probably should be a more nourishing tea recipe. Perhaps tea with sugar?

But otherwise, I tend to end up with obscene amounts of flour because it can be easily made from acorns. Make hardtacks and then just carry them around and make sandwiches whenever I’m hungry. There’s almost always something to put on the bread.

Also, granola – because all the ingredients come up very often when scavenging.

Have some more ideas to share?

You could make obscene amounts of bread, and drink ALL the fruit juice.

Cooked creep?

Rather than prioritizing morale, I tend to prioritize health, because morale from food doesn’t last long at all and colds fucking suck (I still get colds from time to time, but it’s not unusual for my body to throw them off in a single day). Herbal tea is my favourite beverage (unless I’m going to read some books or I’m playing a particularly sleepy character or something, then it’s coffee), but I also keep sealed jars of kompot around for when I’m out of herbs. Lately I’ve been eating deluxe scrambled eggs because I got a bunch of cracklins after rendering some fat into lard; it uses up the cracklins and the eggs I have in my fridge, and it’s healthy.

I’m also fond of the crafted soups (meat, fish, woods, vegetable) for the health benefits. Protein shakes are also extremely healthy, and are good for both hunger and thirst, and they don’t spoil. Pies are a good way to use up a bit of leftover meat or fruit, and have a small nutrition value per serving while granting a health boost in spite of their classification as snacks; they’re great if you have the recycler bionic (like I do) or Light Eater or the like and want to pack more health into your meals. Granola’s a good travel ration with a health boost: I should probably sell my pemmican to the refugee camp and make granola instead. I also eat pasta at home sometimes: lasagna and the spaghettis are a bit ingredient-intensive, but are healthy, and will make your survivor happy if you have a pasta extruder, as I do. (I just wish they weren’t so rare. I’ve only ever seen one, and it dropped off a random zombie at a mansion, rather than having a logical placement like a restaraunt or pizza parlor.)

Seriously, people, the cooking system is there and it’s good for you.

It’s kind of scary how much my character, after becoming cannibalistric, relied on dynamic NPCs for food. I found myself justifying meeting new people going downhill.

… I’ve never got that far…

Sigh.

Bread is good: 3 flour + 1 yeast = 160 nutrition

Johnnycake is better than bread if you acquire a jug of oil: 1 flour + 1 oil = 120 nutrition

Biscuits are amazing: 2 flour + 1 oil = 224 nutrition

Or when “poor”, just cook acorns for 42 nutrition apiece (long cooking time, though).

All the best food is suitable for vegan master race too.

I eat meat raw.
GG.

I usually end up pulling up to a swamp, honking the horns on the vehicle I’m driving, fighting off the horde of swamp creatures that pour out then finally just butcher everything and turn it into dehydrated meat.

Then use that for awhile to make assorted proper foods, pizza, spaghetti, burgers, whatever. I ain’t living like a caveman.

Added bonus: everything Coolthulhu just mentioned grants +health.

Early on, I eat whatever I can carry around without expending too much volume and make quickly with minimal fuss and preferably no extra ingredients. A box of oatmeal is worth 768 nutrition on its own. A bottle of powdered eggs is 760 nutrition if you make scrambled eggs with it. Cooked rice isn’t too bad either, 576 nutrition in a bag of rice. This is the stuff I look for while scavenging in a town. Later on it’s easy enough to just live on dehydrated monsters.

[quote=“TinHeadDays, post:8, topic:8640”]I eat meat raw.
GG.[/quote]

EWWW. I’m a spider and I have some standards… you have to [glow=red,2,300]eat the whole corpse in one bite…[/glow]

Nah but seriously I’m fond of mass producing aspic, with a side order of pine nuts. Pine nuts are so fucking tasty, oh my fucking God I could go on for ages about how seriously freaking epic pine nuts are. Do you like pine nuts? You better like pine nuts, or I swear to Lord Jimmy Jingles I will eviscerate you with a pinecone.

Oh wait I just realised I’m a carnivore; fail…

For reals the main foods I produce are:

Aspic
Jerky
Pemmican
Meat Pizza
Herbal Tea
>Pine nuts carnivore :frowning:
>Biscuits carnivore :‘(
>Bread carnivore ;’( ’ ’
More Herbal Tea, so NUTRITIOUS AND QUENCHING

What is aspic even for, aside maybe from slowly grinding from cooking 4 to cooking 5? Low nutrition, no health bonus, no enjoyability, long cook time, I just don’t get it.

Only heretics order hamburgers…
Without ketchup.
AND ONLY TRUE HERETICS ORDER PIZZA WITHOUT PEPPERONI.

Lasts 4eva, fun to mass produce.

[quote=“TinHeadDays, post:14, topic:8640”]Only heretics order hamburgers…
Without ketchup.
AND ONLY TRUE HERETICS ORDER PIZZA WITHOUT PEPPERONI.[/quote]

I prefer mayonnaise on my hamburger, please don’t shoot me for this ;n;

Lasts 4eva, fun to mass produce.

[quote=“TinHeadDays, post:14, topic:8640”]Only heretics order hamburgers…
Without ketchup.
AND ONLY TRUE HERETICS ORDER PIZZA WITHOUT PEPPERONI.[/quote]

I prefer mayonnaise on my hamburger, please don’t shoot me for this ;n;[/quote]
Fucking Nurgle worshipers…

It pleases me that like 3/4 of the food in this thread is stuff I contributed.

I am chefzombie.

It’s one of those recipes that got in and immediately were too weak for anyone to use. Like makeshift macuahuitl and few articles of clothing.

If someone sent a balancing PR, it would probably get in.

congration

you are zombie lord chef

you are win

[quote=“Rivet, post:17, topic:8640”]It pleases me that like 3/4 of the food in this thread is stuff I contributed.

I am chefzombie.[/quote]

Nobody’s talking about eating people, apparently I’m the only one who thought “I WANT TO MAKE PIZZA FROM THAT GUY”