Don't take keyboard input until after animation is finished

Safe mode annoys me and I like the animations but there is one problem. I keep on dying because a turret just out view range shoots me as I’m running. I’m still holding down the arrow key as the animation “hits” and all it takes is three more steps in towards the turret for me to be killed. Surely someone else has experienced this and can explain it better.

So, by the time you see the bullet animation, your hand’s already put in several ‘go forward’ commands, thus effectively fucking you over?

Did you mean you do not use safe mode due to it’s annoyingness? Because it’s sole purpose is pretty much to prevent holding down keys into danger because you were inattentive (That and alerting you to things your character sees before they come on-screen). While I kind of think completing animations before accepting more input would be nice, I don’t know if it wouldn’t just feel like the game arbitrarily interrupting your otherwise constant input. I find when games suddenly ‘ignore’ me like that, it is very jarring. I would find that ignore-during-animations pause similar to safemode triggers pausing.

My workaround is to just set safemode to re-enable after like three times as many turns as it does by default, so it’s unlikely to trigger more than once during a single raid run. Alternatively, set it to manual only so you have to turn it on again yourself. Then it’s only on when you want it and not a constant interruptor.

Everything in Cata takes turns, including you.

EX: There’s a zombie infront of you while you have a pistol.

You press “f” a bunch of times and you hit the zombie.

Notice how the zombie doesn’t move while you’re firing the first few shots. That’s the zombie waiting for the pistol “turns” to fire.

(This is what I assume turns are. I actually have no idea how things like turns work)

Pth said it. Stop holding down a direction near dangerous stuff and instead tap desired direction a lot.

My understanding: If a zombie can attack every ten ticks and you’re able to attack every three ticks, you are going to hit the zombie many times before it hits you back. It is possible some gun-firing weapons can in fact attack more frequently (faster) than you can. I don’t know what ingame ticks are measured as, but it’s roughly comparable to seconds.

One ‘turn’ or action taken by you is not a constant set amount of time. It takes a number of ticks long, as dictated by your speed, your footwear, the terrain, other bonuses and penalties. As far as the zombie in the above example is concerned, a ‘turn’ is ten ticks long for it, and you basically get a bunch of hax free shots at it before it can respond. Much like we probably feel when facing hax-fast robots.

[quote=“Pthalocy, post:4, topic:7872”]My understanding: If a zombie can attack every ten ticks and you’re able to attack every three ticks, you are going to hit the zombie many times before it hits you back. It is possible some gun-firing weapons can in fact attack more frequently (faster) than you can. I don’t know what ingame ticks are measured as, but it’s roughly comparable to seconds.

One ‘turn’ or action taken by you is not a constant set amount of time. It takes a number of ticks long, as dictated by your speed, your footwear, the terrain, other bonuses and penalties. As far as the zombie in the above example is concerned, a ‘turn’ is ten ticks long for it, and you basically get a bunch of hax free shots at it before it can respond. Much like we probably feel when facing hax-fast robots.)[/quote]

This is pretty accurate. Guns and unarmed attacks can both be faster than 50 moves, which means that you can get more than one in per 100-move turn. Gun-use should get resolved once Kevin’s aim PR lands (takes longer to be accurate), and rapid-striking is one of the reasons to attack unarmed.

[quote=“Pthalocy, post:2, topic:7872”]I find when games suddenly ‘ignore’ me like that, it is very jarring. I would find that ignore-during-animations pause similar to safemode triggers pausing.

My workaround is to just set safemode to re-enable after like three times as many turns as it does by default, so it’s unlikely to trigger more than once during a single raid run. Alternatively, set it to manual only so you have to turn it on again yourself. Then it’s only on when you want it and not a constant interruptor.[/quote]

You’re totally right about the ignore-during-animations being similar to safemode. I didn’t consider that lol. Thanks for the workaround! I didn’t know changing the re-enable turn number was an option.